BA Pony 67 coupe resto/mod - Vintage Mustang Forums

5Likes

post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
BA Pony 67 coupe resto/mod

I have been here for a couple of months, but figured I should start a build thread since I enjoy seeing other build so much, and I have learned a TON along the way. It's kind of surprising how much I have learned considering I have owned this 67 coupe for 23 years. Though, to be fair, the vast majority of that has been in my garage with no engine and a fear of a giant money sucking noise.

A pic from '93, when I first bought it.

Sometime around my mid 20's I got the crazy idea that I would build this thing up. A friend had a 429 and a C-6. I got 9 inch rear end, a toploader, and front disk brakes from another mechanic friend. I took out the 289 and C-4 (neither original) and I was left with an engine rebuild on a stand and a garage full of parts. I haven't had and engine back in it since. When the 2005 came out, my wife convinced me to get one (meaning she wasn't opposed to the idea heavily). Safer, it would corner, and stop as a bonus. 11 years later, my teenage son has been bugging me to get to work on the '67. I see a great opportunity for a father/son project. The major hangup is more that I know I am not a body guy and I had no idea what I was getting into with the rust on this thing. Unfortunately, after so many years, I was too sentimental to let reality take over now. That was last July.

The next few posts will get me up to speed with what the restoration shop has been doing with the body work and getting it to the stage where I can start working on it myself again.

I have also been doing the same build documenting on a wordpress blog, but I sure like the direct feedback I have been seeing from the community here and all the suggestions. Seems more than worth the duplication work.

Brad Albrecht's 1967 Mustang Restoration ? Documenting the restoration of my '67 Mustang coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In July, I finally bit the bullet and decided to do something with the 67. I found a local shop that specializes in Mustang restoration that just happens to be on the other side of town. I went and visited him to see some of the work and get an idea what I am getting into. It was good to talk shop and see some of the projects he was working on. With local companies like Microsoft, Amazon, and Google in the area, he had some cars that I have never actually seen before, only read of. Randy suggested I tear out the interior seats and carpet to see what was under it before I really committed to a restoration so I would know what were dealing with.

It wasn't pretty. I remember years go stepping in the rear passenger foot-well and thinking that was odd that it felt more like carpet over a barrel, rather than standing on metal. Clearly because that's exactly what it was.

Nostalgia is a b!?*&, so I went with it. Before he asked for a full commitment, he suggested they tear it down and pressure wash it to see uncover as much as possible to get a reasonable estimate. After all, its a coupe. And to be perfectly honest, it's a T code. The only value in it is what I feel about it personally.

It wasn't pretty, but there was no going back.

They blasted it, cut out the floor pan, and I got to see the swiss cheese which is the quarter panels and their bondo.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:04 PM

Your committed now brother! I'm sure you will find the next few months to be eye opening $$ but well worth it in the long run

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
By October, they were replacing sheet metal.

The black parts are new. The stone guard was forgotten at this point, but it will be replace soon enough. The hood was on back order because I wanted to switch to the one with the directionals in it, but for now, my old one was on it still. The top was good, as were the posts. Aside from the 3/4" hole in the top, evidently for an antenna at some point. I never new. Bondo was replaced with metal for that to get it back to good.

A shot from the back. I managed to keep one quarter extension, and they had another original lying around. Aside from trunk lid, the rear top parts are original to keep the shape. Steve cut the quarters below the top edge to keep the original lines, and just replaced the metal below. Thinking of things like that is why I didn't want to attempt this stage myself.

New one piece floor pan.

New doors as well. When paying for time, less of the original made the cut.

By the end of October, it was on the path to painting. This is a first shot of smoothing everything out.

post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
By December, with them juggling a few projects, it's getting closer to paint. I had no idea what this process would entail, so seeing how it all went was interesting and enlightening.

Round 1 with bringing repro metal into spec with lines and such.

Some primer on the engine compartment.

Floor pan finally looking good again. It was hard to see past all of the welds before it got a coat.

I love this shot. It looks like it's made out of clay. The roof lines really show. I don't know that I ever realized those lines were there before.

post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I was hoping to get it back in my garage by Christmas, but here a couple days before, it was just getting it's base coat (of cheap paint, not the final color), I would have to settle for next year.

My first look at the new hood as well. Jim was cleaning a few things up on it when I stopped in.

Jim said a lot of people commented on the paint. It looks pretty cool, but not cool enough to want to go with it. Flat just has never been my thing. The paint was just something cheap he had mixed up to get a similar color base to see how everything was going to smooth out for the final painting.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, when we last talked, I had to settle on the color. Previously, I saw a nice 68 roll out of his shop, complete, with an awesome look. He had it in his show room area which a few neon car signs on the wall for decoration. The color must have been Frost Turquoise. My son was with me and commented that it looked like you could dive into it. It was smooth. That put some hesitation on my color choices.

Back when I first got introduced to the mustang, it was due to a good friend of mine in high school having one for a daily driver. We had lots of fun and got into a lot of trouble. That one was Nightmist blue, or close to it. When I got my 05, the closest color was Sonic Blue, so that's what I chose. This is me on the day I picked it up.

Fast forward 11 years and I get to pick a color again, but this time, its not from a list. I got the idea that if I am going to build this up from a blank slate, I may as well make old new again and go for a pair of mustangs. I decided to build the 67 to emulate the 05, which was designed around the 68 fastback. I picked Sonic Blue. I should have asked the price first. Yikes! Seeing it helped to alleviate some of that anxiety though.

This is all just after the clear coat, but before the final wet sand and buffing. The only part that was buffed out by the time I stopped by was the trunk lid. It was a clear day, and the thing reflected like a mirror.

post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Into February. The engine compartment is done. The funny thing is that it's nearly back to the point where I started, just everything is new. I thought when I started, I just had to fix the holes on the aprons in in front and behind the shock towers, which appears to be on every mustang at this age. Then I could get the engine compartment painted quick, and I would be on my way to motor shopping. SOO far from reality there.

But, the new engine compartment looks great. The rust holes are repaired, along with every other spot of rust that I couldn't see before, and some that I thought were not bad, like the battery pan (I was wrong there too). ON the up side, I did keep the original skirts, so the VINs survived.

By the end of February, it was back in my garage. Slightly lighter than when it left.

Along with it came a few assorted parts (everything that wasnt welded to it). I have had it beaten into me to not throw away anything until Im done. With that, I have an incoming pile and outgoing pile. Unfortunately, this is still the "to be processed" pile. I piled it under the SeaDoos as an incentive to get to work before summer arrives. I may end up sorting more than building at my current rate.

I also have my spare room downstairs housing the other major sheet metal, including the hood, fenders, trunk lid and both valances. I call that more incentive. It's kind of like a wife bomb.

I don't have a good picture in the light since I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's February. That means days are short, cloud cover is heavy, and its dark a lot. I will get one soon when the sun shows up.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In the first week of March, I ordered the parts for the front suspension. With recommendation from Randy, my restoration guy, I ordered Upper and Lower control arms from Global West. They have been behind, so I am still waiting on them, expecting them in the coming week. We will see. Those come with a plan to do the Arning drop. I also picked up the Opentracker roller perches. I also took the suggestion for progressive springs and got those from CJ. If I dont like them, I also have a set of 620s. And an older pair from the 429 days that never held an engine. Those too look very much like the 620s. Too bad installing springs isn't easier. I will also have to wait until I have an engine to really see how this all plays out.

Along the way, I started putting some things back together. I thought the rear trunk area would be a good start since its out of the way. Starting is clean with everything removed.

My son and I spent some time attaching the weatherstrip, then the trunk lid. Aligning is easier without a gas tank

it's not perfect, but close. I can already see the need for perfection is going to be a lesson for me hear. I need to get used to good with all the little details. Particularly the ones that will never be seen again. Along the way, I also cleaned up the trunk latch and bought a new lock since I somehow lost the keys over the past 17 years.

We also rebuilt the tail light assemblies. I reused the housings and ordered the rest. Rechroming is about 3x the cost of new repro chrome for the tail lights. The Scott Drake chrome is good, so that worked out fine. The part I didn't like was the pad I got from VA Mustangs. It was about 1/4" short on the sides and too thick on the bottom, so it wouldn't work. It was also hard rubber, not foam rubber like I had originally. I ended up cleaning up the original and using that. Everything else went fine, but I probably have to take it off again to clean up the extra parts hanging out from the chrome gaskets. Again, perfection OCD.

As I mentioned before, as a blank slate, I am going with a retro of my 05, which is a GT. I plan on using the GT emblems and lights, like my 05 has, and its getting a 302 when I get that far, but I don't feel the need to try to fool anyone into thinking it really is a GT as a T code. I look forward to the point I can set them side by side and take some pictures. In the end, it will be a weekday/weekend pair. Work and fun.

I am working on the valance and reverse lights now, as well as the bumper. I am currently waiting on parts (my new life story). I also noticed the valance doesn't have holes for the bumper guard. I'm going to have to address that. Already painted, that's not ideal.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:18 PM

Sweet looking ride now! Sonic Blue is really nice on a classic.

67 Fastback 351c TKO

Cranky Pics and info at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2127023
post #11 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:45 PM

I had painted my 87 turbocharged mustang sonic blue as well, felt that it made the car even faster lol. Keep us posted, great work
post #12 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM

That is a really sharp looking car. Seeing threads like this help keep me going with my car. Keep us updated as you progress!

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
post #13 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 PM

Garage
Great choice with that color - it looks gorgeous!
post #14 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My new hobby of waiting for parts was exciting this week. First, my gas tank arrived along with the various parts to install it. As I was assembling the rear lights and valance, I thought I should install the tank before I started tuning the bumper guard brackets to be sure it tank didn't have issues going in.

It's surprising how easy it was to install the gas tank. Granted, I still don't have fuel lines or a wiring harness, so I may be learning how to install it again once I get that far. Who knows.

Having gotten this far, I am happy to report that the bumper guard brackets don't interfere with the fuel tank. The brackets are original, but the rear light panel and below is all new sheet metal.

I also added a blog entry with a bit more detail and pictures. Progress, but not the most exciting step. Fortunately, there were several more boxes that arrived this week. https://bapony.com/2016/04/16/fuel-tank-installation/
post #15 of 77 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The next pile of parts that arrived this week were what I needed to put the rest of the rear valance and bumper together. Unfortunately, having all the parts is not the same as everything working out. I realized that my reproduction valance didn't have holes for the bumper guards. The body shop who put it together had to do some fabrication to get it to fit, and now it's painted, so I am hesitant to drill holes and mess it up. I was on the fence about doing it myself.

To help make up my mind, when the new bumper guards arrived, I went to test fit them and found that the new back end part under the light panel also did not have holes for the tops of the bumper guards. Also painted and not something I want to mess up. I think that part of the project is going on the shelf. If I need to take it in for anything else, I may have them drill the holes, but that also gets spendy for some pretty cheap parts.

As a general story on how the old car was compared to how it is now, I present to you my old bumper guards next to new reproductions. I must have really loved this car to be so blind to so much damage. I looked at the rear valance for possibly using it to place the hole locations, but there were so many, it was difficult to tell where the right ones were, and there was all kinds of bondo. Not to mention it was not remotely straight.

So, I went ahead and installed the rear valance. I was a bit annoyed I didn't get the GT valance with the exhaust cutouts. I should have payed closer attention to the sheet metal order at the time. I ended up with what I had previously, but that was also a 289 dual exhaust, just hung below the valance. See the above comment about fabrication and paint. Not worth the cost of labor to redo a $35 part. I did end up replacing most of the parts for the lights. The electrical wires were just toast, along with the chrome. After that, there's not much left. I kept the screws!

The last major part for this area also came in this week; I have a new rear bumper. Nothing was salvaged from this project, so I had a number of parts, with some duplication based on some confusion on what was in which kit, but I tend to gamble on the sub $5 parts when it comes to waiting for another week. Besides, all Lego projects have spare parts, right?

I am really liking how its coming together. The chrome is making me really glad I picked this color too. Now, when I open the garage door, my neighbors may confuse it for a real car, not just a shell. If they don't notice it's kind of high and there are no wheels under it.

I also wrote this up with a little more detail and pictures on the restoration blog. https://bapony.com/2016/04/16/finishing-the-posterior/
Caper50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page