In the first week of March, I ordered the parts for the front suspension. With recommendation from Randy, my restoration guy, I ordered Upper and Lower control arms from Global West. They have been behind, so I am still waiting on them, expecting them in the coming week. We will see. Those come with a plan to do the Arning drop. I also picked up the Opentracker roller perches. I also took the suggestion for progressive springs and got those from CJ. If I dont like them, I also have a set of 620s. And an older pair from the 429 days that never held an engine. Those too look very much like the 620s. Too bad installing springs isn't easier. I will also have to wait until I have an engine to really see how this all plays out.
Along the way, I started putting some things back together. I thought the rear trunk area would be a good start since its out of the way. Starting is clean with everything removed.
My son and I spent some time attaching the weatherstrip, then the trunk lid. Aligning is easier without a gas tank
it's not perfect, but close. I can already see the need for perfection is going to be a lesson for me hear. I need to get used to good with all the little details. Particularly the ones that will never be seen again. Along the way, I also cleaned up the trunk latch and bought a new lock since I somehow lost the keys over the past 17 years.
We also rebuilt the tail light assemblies. I reused the housings and ordered the rest. Rechroming is about 3x the cost of new repro chrome for the tail lights. The Scott Drake chrome is good, so that worked out fine. The part I didn't like was the pad I got from VA Mustangs. It was about 1/4" short on the sides and too thick on the bottom, so it wouldn't work. It was also hard rubber, not foam rubber like I had originally. I ended up cleaning up the original and using that. Everything else went fine, but I probably have to take it off again to clean up the extra parts hanging out from the chrome gaskets. Again, perfection OCD.
As I mentioned before, as a blank slate, I am going with a retro of my 05, which is a GT. I plan on using the GT emblems and lights, like my 05 has, and its getting a 302 when I get that far, but I don't feel the need to try to fool anyone into thinking it really is a GT as a T code. I look forward to the point I can set them side by side and take some pictures. In the end, it will be a weekday/weekend pair. Work and fun.
I am working on the valance and reverse lights now, as well as the bumper. I am currently waiting on parts (my new life story). I also noticed the valance doesn't have holes for the bumper guard. I'm going to have to address that. Already painted, that's not ideal.