Thunder revisited - 67 Pro-touring fastback - Page 5 - Vintage Mustang Forums

5Likes

post #61 of 64 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

A new challenge. I have a few more parts including a vacuum pump.
So I am going to make some front brake cooling ducts out of carbon fibre.

It should be fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170412_201134_resized.jpg (103.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20170412_201215_resized.jpg (97.4 KB, 25 views)

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

Thunder - The Restoration Video From Start To Finish - 6 1/2 Years in Four Minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Back after a couple weeks in New Zealand (some pics from a local car show)

I am back to working on and planning for more overdue upgrades.

I am hoping to pick up a few items from the 'glass shop for doing my carbon fibre vacuum forming tomorrow. I have to complete the squashed part of my exhaust and then finish off the front brake ducts. Have to also work on my passenger side window mechanism and courtesy light.

Big news is that I ordered my TCP Power Rack and Pinion. A few things I was wrestling with was the option of using an electric column, vs hydraulic.
Ultimately I did not want to have to modify my clutch pedal assembly to fit the assist motor.

I am looking forward to the TCP rack, as my borgeson unit is real close to the FE headers and rattles at times. Should hopefully receive it in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170429_163741.jpg (101.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170429_163716.jpg (100.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170429_163645.jpg (100.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170429_163621.jpg (100.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170429_163554.jpg (97.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170429_163550.jpg (99.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20170429_163524.jpg (101.9 KB, 10 views)

Thunder - The Restoration Video From Start To Finish - 6 1/2 Years in Four Minutes
post #63 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

The weather turned for the better, so I nixed all the work I had planned on the car and decided to get it out on the road.

It was a really good opportunity to test everything that I have done so far, and see how it all measures up.

So on to the changes

Fuel filler; Swapping out the cut and modified '67 filler tube for the NPD 22 gallon tube, was a good choice. One of the first things I did was go fill up the empty gas tank. Absolutely no splash-back this time, and I could fill it up with the nozzle at full speed.

Dual pulley alternator; Swapping out the single for a dual sheave pulley solved my charging problems. The single belt was slipping all the time on my alternator, so this solved a myriad of problems.

Lighting; All the LED upgrades supplied by Gary, worked really nicely, except I may have one corner with a loose connection. It is flashing intermittently. I am going to check it out tomorrow.

Balljoints; Re and re'ing all the balljoints certainly helped tighten up the front end back to specs. I don't think I will end up doing a new alignment until the TCP rack arrives and I put that in.

Drivers window regulator; The window works better and seals out the wind noise. I also fixed the annoying loose rear view mirror, and added a bit of red locktite to the offending screw. No rattling and flopping around anymore.

Exhaust; This was a big change going from 2 1/2" to 3" system and adding the Xforce Varex mufflers made a big difference in a couple ways. First I assembled it with flex couplings to help make it less prone to transmit vibrations to the car. Then adding the bigger mufflers should make it quieter, lastly it should have freed up a bit more horsepower.

It did all three things. There is definitely no vibration or rattle from the exhaust system.

It is both quieter and louder. Louder because of the 3" pipe, but when switched to quiet mode, a lot less deafening sound inside the car.

With 487 cubic inches of FE, the switch to the less restrictive exhaust, really woke up the engine. I made the mistake of opening it up in second gear with the wife in the car. The tires ripped loose (about 2000 rpm) unexpectedly and the car went to the side slightly. Backed off the throttle again right away and brought it back. It was not a good demonstration as far as she was concerned.
Normally with the 2 1/2" exhaust there might be a tiny bit of wheel spin as you go through the second gear phase, but the car usually stayed straight.
I guess I helped prove the engine masters video. https://youtu.be/_PVXvHkr-Vs

My budget 315/35/17's are near the wear band anyway so I'll look to get a stickier tire and be much more conservative on the throttle from this point.

A short video of the new exhaust. The Varex mufflers come with wireless remotes, and I also have it set up with a switch in the car. https://youtu.be/scJlPRBTrDo

post #64 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Over the last couple days, I have been doing a few things, before getting back into home renovation mode.

Installed the passenger side courtesy light, and Gary sent me a replacement (pair) of driving lights, as one seemed to be flickering. They went in fine and are working great. I really like them

The dashcam and a couple other things came as well. Soon I will be installing that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page