Thunder revisited - 67 Pro-touring fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Thunder revisited - 67 Pro-touring fastback

Since they didn't have build threads here at VMF when I started the project, quite a few years ago. I thought I'd start one as I revisit a lot of major components and systems on the car.

So the car has been driven a lot, except in the past year or so, while I've been tied up in a major home renovation (where I did the work myself.) That is almost completed thankfully.
So that means back to the 'stang.

As I drove it, there were a number of things that cropped up, which either bothered me, or were minor issues, or when I drove the car hard at the track, became issues.

So some of the things which will be happening;
Seats; I had cobra seats, with period upholstery done. I don't like these seats for the track and kind of don't like them for driving. They are destined to be redone.
Suspension; Everything is good except for the rear. After the bilstiein shock absorber broke, I think it's binding, so may be going to Shaun's 3 link.
Transmission; I am changing the 5 speed to a 6 speed. I wish that I'd never let anyone talk me out of a 6 speed. I want the 6 speed for driveability on the fairly fast highways and intermediate freeways around here.
Steering; The borgeson unit has been good, but I want something tighter for freeway driving, cornering and header clearance. It's going to be a rack, with power or electric assist.
Electrical; After my alarm system bit the dust, I am adding a new alarm with gps tracking and revamping the power door lock and trunk lock system, along with some needed electrical system work. (That is happening right now)
Rattles; I am going through the body and chassis, on a rattle elimination mission, wish me luck.
Exhaust; With the larger more powerful motor, the 2 1/2" exhaust and mufflers do not cut it. They are too loud inside the car when cruising and too restrictive. Look for a pair of varex mufflers and a complete custom 3"/oval/stainless system to tuck under the lowered chassis.

There is more, like a brand new custom center console with the raised tunnel for the 6 speed.

The good thing, is I am more patient and skilled now, so expect my work to be a much higher quality

Updates soon

Project 487 Super Snake - '67 Shelby GT500 Pro Touring Beast

Thunder - The Restoration Video From Start To Finish - 6 1/2 Years in Four Minutes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Alarm system with GPS.
Well the fun starts. The old alarm system had built in relays for the power door locks.
The new system with GPS does not. Add to that the trigger wire is only 500mA.
So I wired up a pretty nice mini panel with built in relays.

Tested it. Yup didn't work. So I had to rewire the relays in a bi-pole configuration. Same two wires reverse polarity to unlock or lock. Fortunately I bought the correct relays, and fortunately I wired up the relay in the correct configuration.
Just had to run a ground wire to the relays in the non-triggered position.

Only thing was it was almost 11pm by the time I resoldered everything. Will test it tonight.

Thunder - The Restoration Video From Start To Finish - 6 1/2 Years in Four Minutes
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Lots of fun wiring things up on the alarm tonight.
Even though it is the same manufacturer, a lot of the wiring seems to be different.

After wiring up the nice relay panel (shown) it seems that the new alarm uses a ground (-) to trigger the lock circuit(s)
So I had to take everything apart and resolder it again.

All the extra trigger links seem to be not exactly as described, so instead of using them I ended up setting up the trunk and hood sensors on the same circuit (which means I end up having 5-6 additional unused wires)
No big deal, it's an old car (lol)

So after working all night, I have everything all working, power door locks, power trunk, alarm shock sensor, doors etc.\
except for the parking light flash. I can hear the relays clicking, but no lights. Maybe a fuse or something else. I'll check tomorrow.

The GPS module is just a plug in, so expect that to work easily, once I have it all working.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160415_210357_resized (2).jpg (96.6 KB, 94 views)
Rabidus likes this.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

While upgrading my alarm system, and adding a GPS tracking system, I fixed the lost threads on the fold down seat assembly by welding the hole shut and then redrilling, retapping.

I took some time to clean and polish the 1967 vintage chrome interior trim on the seat assembly.

It looks good and the alarm and gps tracker are working good. I can remotely track, and unlock/lock set the alarm etc. All on my cell phone. Pretty cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160604_112607 (2)s.jpg (61.8 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20160604_112621 (2)s.jpg (77.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 20160604_122444 (2)s.jpg (83.6 KB, 101 views)

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

The GPS system works great. It's reassuring to be able to check the status of your car, where-ever you are and where-ever the car is via the cell phone app.

I thought it'd be comical to have the gps system hooked up to a remote starter on the car. Not too likely with a vintage stick shift car

I am preparing for the off season already (summer weather is not too good here this year.) I don't have lift, so I am building a bunch of cribbing, so i can raise the car up nice and high.

The plan is to redo the mufflers (quieter) and vibration dampen the whole exhaust. With the larger engine, increase the diameter of the exhaust to 3" or equivalent. Do an oval X pipe, for ground clearance. I am hoping that by increasing the diameter of the exhaust, I won't get as much pulsing inside the car.

There is a whole lot of under chassis stuff, that I want to do along with servicing the clutch/flywheel, detail the parking brake and see if I can get it to actually work (good luck with that)

Quite a few rattles and clunks under the car, that I want to research as well. I'm actually kind of excited about getting back to work on the car, after all the many months of home renos

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 AM

Hello Ripped,

Will a 6spd trans fit , or do you have to modify trans tunnel mate. Reason I ask is I'm restoring a 70 Mach 1 and looking at either a 5 or 6spd, concern that you have to modify tunnel for 6spd to fit.

Rgs Jason.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood
Can you provide manufacturer details on the GPS alarm?

Thanks, Clint

1995 GT Convertible - Laser Red - 331 stroker, Kenne Bell 2.2 - 415 RWHP 396 RWTQ
2002 Corvette Z06 - 410 RWHP 410 RWTQ
1968 Mustang Fastback .... Rustbucket slowly being reborn
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj70mach1 View Post
Hello Ripped,

Will a 6spd trans fit , or do you have to modify trans tunnel mate. Reason I ask is I'm restoring a 70 Mach 1 and looking at either a 5 or 6spd, concern that you have to modify tunnel for 6spd to fit.

Rgs Jason.
The 6 speed will require tunnel modifications. Add to that I will have to redo my custom console. I expect it to be a lot of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
Can you provide manufacturer details on the GPS alarm?

Thanks, Clint
The GPS system I am using is the compustar drone.

I had a compustar alarm before. It quite working so I went with the new version, assuming that the wiring was similar. The wiring was a little different, but in a lot of ways compatable, other than having to add relays for lights, the power trunk release and door locks.

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

I spent a few days making some cribbing and got to work.

Removing the exhaust and trans, was not too bad. There is a lot of attention needed in routine maintenance and clean up under the chassis.

I like having the car up nice and high. I could possibly go another 12", but I do not think I will. It would be difficult to open the hood and trunk, without hitting the garage ceiling, then.

I didn't want any accidents while wrestling the trans out, plus there was a minor earthquake (so I am told) in the area yesterday. I added cross bracing an tied in all four corners.

Maybe I'll make or buy a creeper now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160717_193705_resized (2).jpg (100.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 20160717_193726_resized (2).jpg (93.5 KB, 112 views)

post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 PM

What did you use to jack it that high ?

'65 A-code coupe, T-10 4-speed, 8" 3.25 limited slip
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

I made a platform for the floor jack, plus some skirting to keep the jack from taking off. It's quite heavy, and I had some extra wheels, so I used them, and can wheel it around the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160718_194340_resized (2).jpg (99.5 KB, 105 views)

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:28 AM

I love your car; is the Compustar better than a LoJack?

Did you minitub your car? Does it retain the original interior?

'65 Mustang Coupe A-code

Last edited by Raul-7; 08-03-2016 at 02:49 AM.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post

Thanks.

I am not sure if the compustar is better. I used it from wiring comparability with the earlier computer alarm in my car.

Yeah there are some threads many years old. I'll try and post some pics when I get back from holiday and have net access. The stock interior has been maintained as well.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post

I will check the Compustar out myself. The problem with LoJack is that their coverage area is pretty limited. They don't even have service here in Kentucky.

Did my own mini-tubs because I want to use original interior. If I was to do it over again though I might look at Mustangs to Fear tubs. They are supposed to fit without screwing up your interior.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Such a beautiful car. Honestly it was seeing a picture of your car a few years ago that made me decide it was time to stop putting it off and find a fastback to build. In the car culture dictionary if you look up "perfect stance" I am pretty sure a picture of your car will be there.

Looking forward to following along.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten

2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!

1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted

2015 - JEEP Grand Cherokee Altitude Brand new daily driver/parts hauler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page