1969 Mustang - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar00 View Post
So I have spent most of my time working on lighting. I was just going to replace the low beam lights, keep the John deer centers, and worry about them later when I had more funds. Well, that didnt work. Come to find out, the 69 has 4 headlight buckets, a different part umber for each light. I had two, 1 high and one low. Damnit..... Found a deal on ebay getting all 4 and rings. Let me tell you, those headlight springs... suck. like majorly. In fact, I didnt use them, I used a Zip tie. Seems to work great and you cant even see them. Of course, I dont have the outer or inner trim rings, that will have to be a future purchase. Just waiting on my new adjuster kits to show up, because, yeah, all mine blow.

Also, I bought the correct front parking lamps. When I went to put them in, (go figure, something is wrong....) the driver side lamp was hitting the bracket. Now my bumper is held on by only this bracket. The long arm ones, Mustang Bumper Bracket Front Outer Driver Side 1969-1970 , my car does not have. So the previous owner decided to tac weld this in place wrong (lol). So I will need to sort that out at a later date. In the mean time, I got these:
JDM LED Amber White Lamp DRL Grille Light Fit Ford F150 F250 F350 F450SVT Raptor | eBay

And put them in hole in the lower valance until I can get things sorted out. Pretty neat, I think they turned out well.

I wired the turn signal to the White. I also changed the headlight switch so the ambers stay on with the headlights

Got new LED's in the taillight housings. Have said housings now secured with the correct hardware and added some license plate lights

The License plate lights turned out great. A LOT cheaper than a factory one and I didnt have to modify anything. These are the ones I got: 2X White LED SMD Motorcycle Car License Plate Screw Bolt Light Lamp Bulb 12V | eBay

New LED Dash lights

I hated the horse emblem they put on the side of the car. Got it off, and of course it was a pin on emblem. Replaced it with this, thought it was a major improvement on the cheap.
New 1pcs Car Sticker Emblem Badge Deal Power Logo for Ford Fox Mondeo Mustang | eBay

And finally, I got one of the door panels all sorted out. Still needs armrest.

The passenger window has one of the glue in's off. I REALLY don't want to mess with that until winter. Trying to see if I can jimmy it when I would need to. I'm willing to bet it has the wrong weather stripping in it because in the drivers door don't "seal" all that well. Well, that's it for now.
Coming along nicely. I had a similar problem with one of the bumper brackets where it had been broken at one point and one of the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to just weld it together and they did a terrible job. Had to replace three of the four mounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I had finally reached a point where I was ready to take the car out of the garage for the first time since bringing it home. Fired it up, parked it on the street, let it idle, noticed it was leaking power steering fluid everywhere. FML. While sitting in my garage, the PS control valve took a ****. Like really? So I order a new one, watch some vids on how to replace it and tackle the job. First thing I notice is the old one has a Remanufactured sticker on it and was really hard to get off. Should have been cake. Once off, I notice this:

The PSCV screws onto the Center link. So whoever replaced it before, put it on cross threaded and flattened the threads! Like OMG! So, time to order a center link. Like magic, one pops up on EBay for $20 shipped. Cant pass that up, shows up, get the old one off, and set the two side by side:

Yeah, it’s a Ford part, but that don’t fit no Mustang. FML. Its for a Torino, not a Mustang. Sooooo, I order ANOTHER one. This time, its correct. Put it on, get the PSCV on aaannnnnnnddddd…….. I have a running driving 1969 Mustang

While I was at it, they had a sale on taillights. After the first set showed up cracked (I swear, I can’t make this **** up….) I got them on and a big improvement.

Old on left, new on right

That’s it for now. Still have to sort out the passenger window, but have been able to drive the car this weekend. Been pretty cool so far

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:55 AM

No barefoot gas pedal? I'm disappointed. If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the LED dash bulbs?

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ummmmm, no. LOL.

EBay. Just look up 194 LED. Got 20 for $6.59 shipped

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM

I understand your pain man, mine has been the exact same way. How did it feel to get it back on the road?
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pretty awesome to tell the truth. Its piss slow, but its just... cool.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Still been working on the car, just haven't been posting much on it. Put a couple hundred miles on it and things had been going pretty decent. With the sale of the RX8, I was able to get some things I wanted to do done.

First off, was getting some horns for the car. It flat had nothing. Lucky, the factory wiring was intact and working. For the life of me, I could not make the horn button work on the steering wheel. Spent WAY to much time trying. In the end, said hell with it and wired in a simple switch. I also got me some ABS plastic and made a gauge pod / AC cover for the hole the previous owners cutout. I also used some to cover up the hole with the radio.

I also added a cheap Tach and Fuel level gauge. The sending unit is bad in the tank. Ordered one and will tackle that come winter. Its always been my plan to put nice gauges in the cluster (Speedhuts), but just not justifiable now.

Next up was the correct trim rings for the headlights. My car had NONE. Found a good deal on Ebay for the outside ones and CJ Pony parts had the inner's on sale with the holiday. Had to repair some more of the Grill to make them fit, but I think it turned out pretty good. I also wanted black Lanyards for the hood pins. Kind of a PIA to find, so the ones I found are for a Go-Pro camera, work awesome!. Also got a Grill emblem coming from Ebay as well.

No trim rings

Trim rings added:

Next was the seats. Got a good deal on the fronts. From a 2002 and were $20! Went to the Pick and pull and got the rears for $67. Didn't have the modify the rear much. Looks a lot batter than what was in there.

Pulling out the old

$20!

I think it looks kind of cool Two tone with the black

Had to cut this off of the rear seat tray

Used these to build up the floor and used factory seat attachments

Had to cut some foam out. You can see the wood risers added in.

And done. Still have to staple the carpet to the wood risers in this pic.

Seats function correctly as well.

Next?
When I last drove it, it just rides awful. Looking at the shocks, its no wonder (I am not sure if they have ever been replaced). So I looking things over and I notice this nut looked crooked. Touched it and the damn thing fell off!

To make matters more interesting, when I went and looked at the drivers side, it has a tubular control arm on it, but the passenger side is stamped steal. Like WTF?! So I have yet to put on, but is in my garage. New control arms, spring perches, 1" drop springs, 1" drop rear shackles, 4 KYB shocks, and subframe connectors. Should ride a little better
Brady68 likes this.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I found a little time to work on the 69 some. Got all the suspension stuff I wanted to do, except for the sub-frame connectors.

Here are the front upper control arms after removal. One of the shocks came apart (Lol). You can also see they are two different brands.

New lowering spring vs. Old

And, fronts complete.

From here, we move to the rear. First thing I noticed were the rear tires have a bit of dry rot. Also, I like the white overspray. Guess they didn't cover them very well when the car was painted white.

Next, noticed the rear brake soft line was touching a turn down.

Sigh. Get the rear shocks out, and thought they looked funny....

I then got the rear lowering blocks and new KYB shocks in.

Think the stance looks a lot better now. Just need some 17's or 18's now.

Moving on, I then finally made a bracket to attach the rear seat at the bottom. I couldnt drill a hole, as the 99 seat's went right into the frame. Made this on the quick, should do the job.

Couple shots showing my china grill emblem in black, and all the correct headlight hardware.

Next?
I scored a 302 and AOD from here locally. Think at this point, I am just going to lift and shift the current 302/C4 setup. Later, assuming all goes well, look into Cams, heads, Etc.

Rabidus likes this.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 04:21 PM

An interior like that was Sooo cool back in the day; late 70's.

My best friends older brother, who could drive and had his own 72 Hardtop, had a black, crushed velour interior! That was about the coolest car I'd ever seen.

How times and styles change,.......

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted piece of sheet."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Didn't really get anything done over the winter. Got it out from storage and it fired right up, so I was happy about that.

Picked up a set of 04 Mach 1 rims. The tires were smoked, so it needs a new set as well. Ended up getting a set of 1.5" inch wheel adapters for the front an 1" for the rear. I think its going to look pretty good.

New on rim on right, old on left

With the suspension I replaced last year, the car REALLY need an alignment, so i wanted to get all it sorted out before I took it somewhere. One thing I wanted to replace, was the export brace. Being as mine was a chrome one (hated it) and I noticed it was not installed correctly. They had drilled holes in in because they couldn't figure out how to install it properly. Got a new one on Ebay for $20 and I got real lucky as I just need someone to pull on it a bit to get it installed. Looks better and I bet it helps NOW that it is properly installed.....

See where they drilled the Chrome one?

Done! I was really dreading doing this. Some vids show you have to do some crazy things to the shock towers to make these fit.

Next time. I noticed that all 3 brakes lines were toast. So those have been ordered and will be on their way shortly.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM

Personally, I don't think you have a hair on your *** if you don't wrap that steering column back with some crush velvet...js!

HAHAHAHA...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kirkland Send a message via MSN to Kirkland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar00 View Post
Had to cut this off of the rear seat tray

Used these to build up the floor and used factory seat attachments

Had to cut some foam out. You can see the wood risers added in.

And done. Still have to staple the carpet to the wood risers in this pic.

Seats function correctly as well.
Thanks for all the pics.
My 1996 front seats fit fine, but when I tried to install the back seats, there is at least a 2"-3" gap on each side, and I can see into the trunk. Is the speaker box filling that gap in yours?
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
Very well done! I like how the 69-70 hardtops are being restored now. Any other future plans for the car?

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Garage
Nice work. I am also in the process of rebuilding a 69 Coupe.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcstang View Post
Very well done! I like how the 69-70 hardtops are being restored now. Any other future plans for the car?
Oh yeah, there plenty of things to fix. I just need to get these few things done and THEN I think it will be safe to drive. I really have not driven it yet since i brought it home.

Car looks bitchen! What is the story with how yours is lowered?

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page