1969 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums

7Likes

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cool 1969 Mustang

Hey everyone, been reading the forums for weeks, trying to bring myself up to speed on my 69 coupe. Its my 4th Mustang as I have had a 02 GT, 04 Kenne Bell Mach 1 and a Turbo 93 GT. I kind of got all star eyes seeing the 69, and overlooked a major host of issues. Car will never be more than driver quality, but its my hope to fix 30 years of mistakes with the car. And their are a LOT. Oh well.

So here it is at the start. 302 auto.

Brother and me

Yeah, its that bad, lol

Be a process, but in the end, I think it will pay off No ****ing turbos for this car, lol

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gesh, I got my work cut out for me. I have to touch EVERYTHING, I swear everything needs fixed, adjusted or just plain un-****ed. so many factory plugs are just cut and spliced. Everything is total half ***. Sigh......

Got a lot of the "Groovy" Out. Think I am going to convert the back seat to a 94 up stlye. Should be able to do that for cheap.

Took the fan shroud off. LOL's all around. My favorite part is the postive wire off the battery was in the alternator blades. Almost cut down to the wire.....

Got a lot of the interior apart. I have some 96 cloth seats, just going to use them for the time being until I can get a complete 94+ seat setup in it in black. Ordered some black TMI panels. Should help a lot.

I guess it had dual 12's at some point. Had a LOT of speaker wire stuff in it. Funny part, is almost all the bare electric connections are not taped. But the radio wire stuff was "preserved" with an entire roll of tape. I pulled it all out.

Found a For Sale sign in the passenger window (Its off track), maybe its a sign from above....
Under the "Groovy" was a blue dash pad that pretty cracked. Since I have so much to fix, Im just going to Vinyl paint everything black. In the future, Ill order a new dash pad. Like the hole they made where AC vents would be? I thought it came with a radio, nope, it was a EQ.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So in today's episode of whats ****ed up.......

So I got the hood off so that I could look at the hood hinges to see whats wrong. Can anyone guess based on the pic? Other side, the same.

They had just used some cheap washers to hold it from the inner fender side. No wonder the hood dont work for a piss...... Going to make a plate that will attach from the inner side and have it "sandwich" all together. Best I can think of for the time being.

No pics, but rewired the alternator. Had radio fuses in it (WTF). Started to work on the Dizzy and coil wiring. Need to pull off that remote oil filter setup so I can get to some of the wiring (Will NOT be going back on). After that, need to look into the headlight wiring. I also have most of "groovy" pulled. Need to get a replacement rear tray and come up with some rear seats. Going to try and find some 94-04 rear seats and make that work.

Painted the sun visors and the Dash black. Turned out pretty good. Pics don't really show it well.

Once my first order of parts come in, can do some other stuff.

Pic of the Dash and Visors.

Got the ignition system rewired. The amount of ****ty spliced wire was unbearable

Starter Solenoid

Coil. Pulled off that dual remote oil filter. Looks a LOT better without it.

Got the "groovy" seats out. Working on moving the rails to the 96 seats.

Still a lot to do, but making some progress. Need to tackle the headlight wiring and the new throttle cable next.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So Last night just work on a little of everything.

Go the shifter out so I can take the 30 years of whore slop that is in the shifter.

Got the accelerator pedal out. Like what they did? Put it in my vice to close that gap up and see if I can get the new stock cable to work. I swear, what was wrong with these previous owners....

Spent little over an hour tracing out the headlight harness. Upon further reading, it is tied into the Dimmer switch. Replaced that and Vola! It works now. Of course, the headlight extension harness for one of the sides is missing so I need to buy one of those..... And horns.

It was my hope to keep cost down to just pull the John Deer lights and put stock lights back in it. Yeah, no mounting cup or hardware, so I will have to buy all that if I go that route. Screw it, Ill work on that later.

And this is where I stand as of tonight. Still have a bunch of stuff on the way, but the well is running dry. Going to get it back into running and driving mode and try to enjoy it some this summer. Build up a bit more money and continue to hash out the issues.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:15 AM

Yours looks like it was worked on by the same idiot that chopped up the wiring in mine. So many people out there have no business working on cars.
66whitepony likes this.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:59 AM

Damn! I thought mine was messed up...makes me wanna just send you a completed car...oh, crap. I already spent my money too. Ebay, SearchTempest, Craigslist, this forum , Mustang retailers and others, are the places to go shopping when you can. I follow the 69-70 For Sale on this site and have gotten a few good deals. A lot for sale out there...if you got a few dollars and a lot of patience.

I know that frustration. Good luck!

Mustangled
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM

As far as your headlight wiring goes you should improve it while you have to put your hands on it. Get a relay harness and you'll get better results for the same effort as a repair. On Amazn for about $15, search H4 ceramic plug relay or similar.
(EDIT) I remembered '69 has the 4 lights so the relay kit might be $20-25

Same with a few other things, just as much work to make it better than Ford did at the time.

I like the color scheme and the paint doesnt look horrible.
The hood hinge situ maybe it got rusted frozen.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This what you are talking about Lakeside? Needing two, one for High Beams and one for low?
Ceramic H4 Headlight Headlamp H4 Light Bulb Relay Wiring Harness Socket Plug Set | eBay

I had read about the relay trick for the headlights, was going to look into it. Seems like a cheap price for the upgrade. Would save me some time...

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Thats essentially it but you should be able to find one that is meant for 4 lights, maybe someone here that has done a '69 can comment, Try a search here.
I cant think of another quad headlight car that has them spread out like the "Stangs so these generic kits might need an extension spliced in to reach the high beams.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I got new hardware in the passenger door. The front part of the window, I need to see about gluing it back in, but at least it will roll up and down now, lol

Made some simple radiator brackets

Really shocked how nice the floorboards are considering everything else

Since none of the gauges work, got this gauge setup. Its temporary until I can afford to do something better. Got good reviews online, so I guess we will see. Heater core is bypassed, so I pulled out the controls.

I am putting LED's in the cluster so it’s not a dark void at night. In that process, I found that it would not light up. I was getting power out of the headlight switch, but not at the cluster itself. There was a light over that that was working, so I am going to use that to trigger e relay and use it to power the cluster and the 3 gauges.

Anyone with a 69 what to guess what is wrong with this pic?

Its the wrong bracket. Also, its very patched up. So I ordered a new one and the Grill support as well. It all started when I looked into why the lower valence was falling down. Here were some of the brackets holding it on

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 PM

Wow, there's a lot of... "Ingenuity" built into that car from the previous owners.

Sweet car!

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So made some good progress.

So I had the correct seat track for a 69, but no springs or connecting rods. Got all that in. Plus, they never drilled the 2nd hole, so the seats were only held in by two bolts. Gesh. Drilled that, spaced them out with some washers and Ready to go back in.

Pulled a valve cover. Surprisingly, everything looks decent

Looked into the H4 headlight upgrade as I was missing a headlight extension harness anyway. Pretty much hated everything I saw on EBay and decided I could build a better one. Got weather proof relays and ceramic H4 connectors. Had a spare stock connector, so I can plug it directly into the factory harness. Also, when Highs are on, it will keep the lows as well.

Got new beltlines for the windows.

Finally have the correct brackets to hold the front end in place. Also made some trans cooler brackets

Fixed the headliner. Did something a bit different. I used a small piece of Aluminum stock, painted in black and used it to hold it up in place. Never seen it done before, but I think it turned out decent and there is no way that bitch will drop down again.

Look at the floorboards! Unreal, considering the condition of the rest of the car.

Gave the car a full tuneup. And surprise, it fired on the first try! Have an issue now where the shifter is in park, but the trans is in reverse (Yeah, that was surprising….) Everything with the trans arm was jacked, so I ordered a new bushing and we will see if that gets corrected.

Getting closer to driving. Next is working on getting the hood latches sorted out and then moving to the trunk to work on the taillights and the weatherstripping.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackbar00 View Post
So in today's episode of whats ****ed up.......

So I got the hood off so that I could look at the hood hinges to see whats wrong. Can anyone guess based on the pic? Other side, the same.
Looks like the hood popped open on the highway and slammed the windshield... more than once. You've got hood pins that may have been installed to prevent that in the future (if they were installed correctly).

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Made some good progress.

The interior is mostly done for now. Really just needs a good cleaning.

Tackled things in the trunk. Got the decklid off to get the new seal.

Surprisingly, didn’t have to do much with the wiring there. The rear qtr. Lights were not wired, took care of that and re-loomed all the factory wiring. The taillight buckets are held in by zipties (And they even did a ****ty job of that!) and the bulbs all have paint over them. Ordered some LED lights to replace.

And when I pulled up the carpet, I found about 6 girls phone numbers, a friendship card and 3 rubbers. Lol
Rabidus, Caper50 and Brady68 like this.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I have spent most of my time working on lighting. I was just going to replace the low beam lights, keep the John deer centers, and worry about them later when I had more funds. Well, that didnt work. Come to find out, the 69 has 4 headlight buckets, a different part umber for each light. I had two, 1 high and one low. Damnit..... Found a deal on ebay getting all 4 and rings. Let me tell you, those headlight springs... suck. like majorly. In fact, I didnt use them, I used a Zip tie. Seems to work great and you cant even see them. Of course, I dont have the outer or inner trim rings, that will have to be a future purchase. Just waiting on my new adjuster kits to show up, because, yeah, all mine blow.

Also, I bought the correct front parking lamps. When I went to put them in, (go figure, something is wrong....) the driver side lamp was hitting the bracket. Now my bumper is held on by only this bracket. The long arm ones, Mustang Bumper Bracket Front Outer Driver Side 1969-1970 , my car does not have. So the previous owner decided to tac weld this in place wrong (lol). So I will need to sort that out at a later date. In the mean time, I got these:
JDM LED Amber White Lamp DRL Grille Light Fit Ford F150 F250 F350 F450SVT Raptor | eBay

And put them in hole in the lower valance until I can get things sorted out. Pretty neat, I think they turned out well.

I wired the turn signal to the White. I also changed the headlight switch so the ambers stay on with the headlights

Got new LED's in the taillight housings. Have said housings now secured with the correct hardware and added some license plate lights

The License plate lights turned out great. A LOT cheaper than a factory one and I didnt have to modify anything. These are the ones I got: 2X White LED SMD Motorcycle Car License Plate Screw Bolt Light Lamp Bulb 12V | eBay

New LED Dash lights

I hated the horse emblem they put on the side of the car. Got it off, and of course it was a pin on emblem. Replaced it with this, thought it was a major improvement on the cheap.
New 1pcs Car Sticker Emblem Badge Deal Power Logo for Ford Fox Mondeo Mustang | eBay

And finally, I got one of the door panels all sorted out. Still needs armrest.

The passenger window has one of the glue in's off. I REALLY don't want to mess with that until winter. Trying to see if I can jimmy it when I would need to. I'm willing to bet it has the wrong weather stripping in it because in the drivers door don't "seal" all that well. Well, that's it for now.

1969 302 Coupe
2015 Focus ST

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page