Hey guys, newbie here. Inhave been reading a bunch but first post. Figure I would finally start the build thread.
I bought a 70 Fastback, 302 Boss clone, in descent shape bqck in Feb. i wanted a 69/70 my whole life and finally got to the point where my wife told me to just go by the damned thing.
I bought it out of Tenessee after a buddy went and looked at it. 351 C, mild cam, C4 original 9" open diff, AC car, (removed), front disc, rear drum. Already had a Shelby drop, 1 1/8 front sway bar and 3/4 rear. Stock lower control arms, aftermarket, (unknown), upper control arms, worn out front coil springs, (they actually looked like bananas) and stock rear car had 20" rear and 17" front American racing Torque thrust wheels. It looked pretty dumb.
Front floor pans were half replaced with a horrible job on each side. Why they didn't just replace the whole fronts is beyond me. No stereo and a few other easter eggs but it ran good, looked good and drove ok.
I have built several cars and trucks before so I stuck to the basic plan, stop good, drive good, look good and go fast. In the first few months I have changed out quite a bit.
First, front Willwood Dyna lite 6 piston drilled and slotted rotors. Rears I cheaped out and went with SSBC drilled and slotted single pistons which I immediately regreted and am about to change out to Willwood 4 pistons. It currently stops like my wifes C7.
Tackled the suspension next after the front drivers side wheel bearing seized out of no where. Literally, no noise, nothing. I replaced both spindles with TCP new spindles and while I was in there new bushings, stock lowers control arms, ball joints, bearings, end links, the whole works. While I as in there I replaced the front springs with FRPP 1" lowering springs and cut out 1 coil. It sits perfect.
It rode like a 1970 Mustang fastback on stock shocks so I added QA1 single adjustable shocks all the way around.
I hated the way it looked so I went with 18x7 and 18x10 AR Torque thrust 2 poliished wheels. 255/40/18 in the front 295/35/18 in the rear. Fits like a glove, ZERO rubbing no spacers. (Lips are rolled).
Recently I found out the right rear axle flange was bent. I was also tired of the one wheel peel so, No sense replacing it without replacing the diff and gears. Out came the whole rear end, springs and all. Turns out the original "open diff" on the Marti report was replaced at some point but the clutches were toast. I rebuilt the rear end last week and swapped in 3.70 gears. Replaced every bushing, shackle and end link while I was in there. Sandblasted and painted the housing and Springs. It cleaned up and sprayed nice.....for now.
Lots of small cosmetic and interior stuff. Added dual sport mirrors, changed out 1/4 windows with new factory originals, replaced front windsheild and gasket, new pony emblms and bought factory original interior hardware. When a screw comes out, I replace it with new.
I am sure I am forgetting some stuff but so far it is a good start. I cannot decide on the powerplant, coyote or stick with something older which is why most of the front end was replaced with factory original stuff. If I do the coyote I will be taking out the shock towers, (Most likely), and don't want to waste money. I am really leaning towards the FR 460 crate engine but I vasilate too much to decide.
I travel for a living so I don't get to work on it as often as I like and my wife decided she needed a new house and pool so my funds are currently "distracted". I will try to post up some pics if I can from my Ipad.
Thanks for reading all the junk. I look forward to learning from you guys.