Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to CrashDown
Lots of pictures... lets get to it.

valve cover paint started...

Strut rods restored...

started tackling the quarter skin replacement. ran out of welding gas so it's not completely installed, but almost there.

And finally, for this update, got the new +3 UCA's from global west installed with their drop done as well, also LCA's and the front spindle/brakes setup installed.

post #93 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Long time with no reply, sorry guys!

Short block is back from the machine shop with a clan bill of health. New mains and con-rod bearings. Pistons were cleaned up, new cam bearings in as well. Brough it to the shop, used POR15's engine enamel kit, degreased, acid etched, primed and painted Corporate blue. Will start reassembly this weekend.

Tore the front steering apart. Drag Link looked good, cleaned and repainted that. New Idler arm, and pitman arm, inner tie rods were replaced recently, but the outers already showed signs of wear, so ordered new ones from CJ. Those will be here soon.
Had a bit of a head scratcher with my Flaming river steering box. It was a long shaft box because of 65-66... but the new tilt column i got from Ididit already has the intermediate shaft in it with the tilt setup. So I removed the coupler that connects the input shaft and the intermediate shaft on the steering box, and then found myself a 3/4"x36 to 3/4"x36 spline rag joint. When that shows up, i'll be good to go there. Basically doing what a 67/68 has, only with 65-66 parts.

Burnt the midnight oil and then the first part of sunday morning gettin the drivers quarter skin welded on. This side turned out way better than the passenger side.

buttoned up the front suspension for now. Got the springs cut, saddles installed and shocks installed.

And last but not least. Cleaned off the rear end and put a fresh coat of Rust-o-leum satin black. Had to order new axle bearings and spacers, those should be here in the next day or so, then the machine shop will press them on and we should be able to get the rear end and rear suspension buttoned up this weekend. If so she may actually sit on the ground end of sunday.

Going to be doing the pedal cluster this week at work, and finishing the other valve cover.

post #94 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Looking good CrashDown. I'm interested in seeing the gap right behind the door(s) where the new quarter meets the rocker. My gap on the one I did (passenger side), looks a little wider than I would like but of course the lines match up.

The pictures shows the gap on mine.

Thanks,

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT461.jpg (96.9 KB, 30 views)
CrashDown likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #95 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Looking good CrashDown. I'm interested in seeing the gap right behind the door(s) where the new quarter meets the rocker. My gap on the one I did (passenger side), looks a little wider than I would like but of course the lines match up.

The pictures shows the gap on mine.

Thanks,

Allen
Ahh.... so I didnt replace the entire quarter. I made a cut line 1" inside all the exterior edges of the quarter panel. So That area you are talking about, on my car is still the original sheetmetal and everything. There was no rot there so I didnt do any replacement. However, new quarters are prett prone to having a huge gap there front what ive seen on other build threads. Thats why I did mine the way I did.
post #96 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thre rear end housing....
post #97 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDown View Post
Ahh.... so I didnt replace the entire quarter. I made a cut line 1" inside all the exterior edges of the quarter panel. So That area you are talking about, on my car is still the original sheetmetal and everything. There was no rot there so I didnt do any replacement. However, new quarters are prett prone to having a huge gap there front what ive seen on other build threads. Thats why I did mine the way I did.
Thanks, I did that 1" inside all the way around also just not at the bottom where it meets the rocker.

Thanks,

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #98 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM

Likes like a good amount of pitting on that strut rod.

You might want to consider replacing them.

1969 Mustang Convertible field find (It's a 450hp spaghetti noodle)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

"The problem is not the problem, the problem is your attitude about the problem"

post #99 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happystang View Post
Likes like a good amount of pitting on that strut rod.

You might want to consider replacing them.
It's on the list.... just want to get the thing done first, then go back and buy better/newer stuff.
post #100 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Finally Finished the other valve cover....

Got the Ididit columm painted, and test fitted the rag joint to connect it to the steering box.

And got most of the pedal assembly assembled with the new clutch pedal from Modern Driveline. Just waiting on some bushings for the brake pedal switch and master cylinder op-rod and its ready to go in the car.
post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Awesome build, man. Very intrigued with the adhesion method you used. I believe you when you say it's stronger than welding, resins have some so far int eh last decade.

I look forward to seeing the end product!

eventually a 1969 Mustang Fastback--been in hibernation since 2011 due to school...
Now the time has come to resurrect her once and for all!
Currently on a body cart with a finished undercarriage.
post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
Awesome build, man. Very intrigued with the adhesion method you used. I believe you when you say it's stronger than welding, resins have some so far int eh last decade.

I look forward to seeing the end product!
Thanks!!
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

More stuff.....

Motor is assembled up to Pushrod installation.Got the Heads on, used the good old pushrod length checker to find the correct Comp Cams hardened pushrods for my heads. Should be here tomorrow. But first is a shot of the motor mocked up Saturday night, and then a pic of it sunday evening after the heads were on and pushrods were ordered.

Then Finally all mys stuff from the brakes lines came in. 25feet of Nickle/Copper hard line, a pack of 15 line end connectors and my Professional Flaring tool From eastwood. Made my own Brake Lines, and installed my Stainless fuel line from CJ Pony Parts.

One of the three Line brackets is in the wrong spot and is going to interfere with the throttle pedal bracket. I need to move it this weekend.

And since the fuel line is all plummed, we got the gas tank in as well....

Hopefully the car will be on the ground this weekend!
Rabidus likes this.
post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

MOAR STUFF....

Dad photobomb..

Motor is in....

Another dad photobomb

Also had to adjust the rear end. Was swung too far to the right. Recentered it. This weekend we will be measuring for driveshaft length, installing headers, EFI, and wiring in the engine compartment.
Caper50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page