Well I spent a few hours on the passenger door exterior today. I stripped the out side and found no rust, just a small ding that looked like someone shot it with a BB gun at some point. When I flipped it over to strip the inner door edge. I uncovered some pitting along the bottom as seen in the pictures. So far, I have wire wheeled it down and then spot blasted the pits down to clean metal. Tomorrow I will attempt to weld the two small pin holes shut. I'll then clean the inside of that area as best I can and then coat it with Rust Encapsulator. On the outside I'll epoxy it and then use some Evercoat Rage to cosmetically clean up the pitted edge along the bottom.
Do you guys think that will be sufficient of a repair that will last?
This past week I stripped the Driver's Fender. Had to repair a rust area on the lower rear section, welded in new metal. Coated with epoxy primer. Next I'll strip the passenger fender and epoxy. Looks like no rust on that side. Once all panel are rust free and in epoxy, I'll go over everything with a paper thin coat of filler and level.
Well made a little more progress. This week I rebuilt the door hinges, and then test fitted the doors and fenders. I also decided to go 1968 dark Highland Green for the paint. I tried to spray the original Seafoam Green on a test panel but could not get the tone just right. It just looked to pastel for me. I do like how the PPG Shopline JB base looked in 1968 Dark Highland Green. It took 6 coats minimum for coverage. Third pick is the test panel in Dark Highland. Also attached is the final look I'm going for except mine will be a coupe version. Hopefully changing the color from the original doesn't hurt the value. I do not plan on selling it anyway. I think I'll add the GT emblems as well.