Wanted: local mechanic needed to work on '67 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Wanted: local mechanic needed to work on '67

Hi, I learned today that my '67 needs new calipers (front) and brake cylinders (rear). Local mechanic wants to charge me a small fortune. Hoping someone on this forum can help give me a hand and make a few bucks! If you are interested, I can provide more details. Having trouble finding reputable and trustworthy mechanics that will even touch the car due to its age. I'm in the Naperville area.

stevecouncil@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecouncil@yahoo.com View Post
Hi, I learned today that my '67 needs new calipers (front) and brake cylinders (rear). Local mechanic wants to charge me a small fortune. Hoping someone on this forum can help give me a hand and make a few bucks! If you are interested, I can provide more details. Having trouble finding reputable and trustworthy mechanics that will even touch the car due to its age. I'm in the Naperville area.

stevecouncil@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Steve
Wish I could help, its an easy job and hopefully one that will not take too long. Is it (at least the parts that need replacing) stock or of stock configuration? Makes it easy to order the parts if they are.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/f...b,caliper,1704

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalo...ock-350-3.html

1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Delivered to Ball Ford in Miami Florida, purchased by Hertz Rent A Car for delivery to Miami Internation Airport

Last edited by 69GT350H; 09-06-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 PM

That really is an easy job and parts are fairly cheap to get it done. Might be a good opportunity to by a service manual and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

If I was closer I would help you out.

Curious, what did your local mechanic want to charge you for this?

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:26 PM

Well, the 67's have those 4 piston Kelsey Hayes calipers that can be a bear to rebuild. And, top that with I guess the very early 67's had the small 65/66 brake hose inlet (I have never seen that and I own an October built 67 GT 350) adds to the problem.
OK, the car is about 50 years old, can you read K/H in the casting? If so, those are original and DO NOT let them out of your sight. You can get rebuilt calipers from Autozone, but, unlikely they will be original K/H castings. You will likey also have to order them. And, do just pay and eat the core charge...if you have original K/H castings. Also order the brake pads.
And, then where do you get the rotors turned? Most parts stores have stopped doing that, so, ask around. Down here you can still go to Van Senus Auto parts as they have a machine shop to do this.
On to the rear: If the rear cyls have the small 1/4" headed wheel cylinders, those too are original, and valuable. You can remove those, and send them out to be sleeved. New shoes, and do get the hardware kit. Cutting the brake drums have the same issue as the rotors. Gotta go to an automotive machine shop to get it done.
Cost: well, this stuff is labor intensive, and a saftey issue.
I am a former auto mechanic but really, have no time for other side work. In my younger days I used to do it all the time.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe

Last edited by Roddster; 09-06-2016 at 08:30 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 AM

Garage
+1...the K/H calipers are hard to come by and try to keep or rebuild if possible. They could have a 3/8 inlet (early 67) or 7/16 inlet (later 67). The early is pretty rare and finding the rebuild kit could be a challenge, as the dust boots are a bit different.

Unless the bleeder is totally frozen and can't be re-seated or the piston cylinders are shot, it is a really easy job to rebuild...you may need to soak some of the bolts to loosen..50/50 acetone and ATF mix worked for one of mine. Also need to shoot a bit of compressed air to pop the pistons.

Once I got things loosened, the clean up and rebuild only took an hour or so...would have probably been a lot less, but I bead blasted and plated them...carefully sealing of the internals.

The only other thing is needing to bleed the system and recenter the distribution valve. I got my car so I could learn all of this stuff, so it was fun. If you want to save $'s the Shop Manual is a must and can walk you through many things you may need to do down the road. The experience on this forum can fill in all of the blanks...truly amazing what a lot of these people know (not me, I'm still learning).

Best of luck
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0378.jpg (91.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0384.jpg (95.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.jpg (95.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0394.jpg (93.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Knapper; 09-07-2016 at 07:25 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 03:25 PM

Do you still need work done on the 67? If so, where are you located?

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page