WTB: Rocker Molding Panels 1967 NOS - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 05:00 PM

I just purchased the NOS left hand side molding and clips from Rick's NPD. It arrived in a sturdy cardboard tube in great condition. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Advertisement

post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Supporting Vendor

Hi Ralf,

I just found this post after replying to your PM regarding the rocker moldings. Yes, our export person (Roy) can inspect the moldings for you prior to shipment, as these are certainly cosmetic items and scratches/dents would not be acceptible.

Regarding your radiator, I'm not here to make excuses, but to hopefully frame context. Stock replacement radiators, as a product-category, have never come with ready-for-concours paint. In fact, back when Modine was building copper/brass radiators here in the U.S., it was quite common for them to plastic-bag the radiators while the paint was still WET, and you'd have plastic stuck all over the tanks. Ford radiators (NOS) often come out of the box with the paint full of sand or dirt. Ford's supplier never cared, nor did Ford, because it was a radiator, a part that they considered functional, not cosmetic.

Even the original radiator in my 1,200-original-mile 1966 Mustang is a sloppily-built unit. Dirt in the paint on the straps, and solder slopped all over the straps and the upper tank. That's what Ford installed on the assembly line in 1966.

In all my years being involved in numerous restorations for our own collection, I've never once pulled a new radiator out of a box, and not had to refinish it prior to installation. Even NOS Ford radiators, we've had to re-finish them all.

All that said, I am disappointed that US Radiator shipped us a radiator with the paint all crinkly in that area. We do not break into sealed boxes to inspect (because it gives customers the impression that they've bought a radiator that someone else returned if the factory-box is torn open and re-sealed), so we wouldn't have caught that going out the door. The paint should have been better... But... I still think you'd want to refinish the radiator before installing anyhow. I do not understand the comment about "goop" on the top, so I can't comment on that.

I'm sorry that you are not happy with the radiator. U.S. Radiator is basically the last remaining manufacturer here in the States building copper/brass radiators. Our experience with them over the years has been extremely positive, using high-quality cores, solid construction and excellent heat-exchange performance. What it may lack in aesthetics, it should make-up for in durability and performance. Cosmetically I've always found them to be quite good out-of-the-box, but the one you received is an exception to that, I'll give you that. But even if it had been typical of what I've seen before, you'd still be doing some sanding and re-painting for a concours-quality job.

I hope this allays some of your anxiety with us moving forward. We are very quality-minded here. But realistically, over my years of selling radiators, rarely does one come out of the box ready to install if you're doing a concours restoration. For drivers? Sure, you can drop it right in. But not if your going the concours route, they always need some further attention. The radiator manufacturers have never built them to that standard.

Rick
NPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
I was in touch with Burton in May this year as well.
They anounced end of the year. Last week I asked again...answer: still a couple of monthes to go. Sing a song.....

@ Rick
To be honest, I'm not convinced about the quality NPD delivers, at least what I got on my radiator. Crincle black paint, horrible. And it seems that the top is poured/filled with something. Payed a huge amount of money for that part. I'm very disappointed. Really not what germans consider as high quality made in USA.
See my threat "what is the most correct radiator and fan shroud for my 67" (in Concours Forum) and the pictures.
If you promise me to send only rockers without any damages, scratches, bendings, than I would think about....Left side NOS, right side Golden Legion (if it matches...), or both sides GL.

Had a pair of Corvex in my hands bought from a german dealer, sent it back. Far to thin! Could imagine to see the clipses on the a-surface when assembled.

In the time being I'm still looking for a NOS pair, or really high quality rocker moldings.
Thx Ralf
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Hi Ralf,

The paint should have been better...
I'm sorry that you are not happy with the radiator.
Cosmetically I've always found them to be quite good out-of-the-box, but the one you received is an exception to that, I'll give you that.

Rick
NPD
Thx for your explanation.

How to go from there? You're stating that I have received an exception....
Do I get another one?

Thx Ralf

1967 Convertible 289 GTA Nov 30 1966
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/...7-impressionen

post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thx for your explanation.

How to go from there? You're stating that I have received an exception....
Do I get another one?

Thx Ralf
I think Rick tried to nicely tell you that if you want a nice finish, you'll have to take care of it yourself. A new one won't be a whole lot better.

He also seemed to contradict himself by first saying that original radiators looked like crap, too, but for concours restorations, you have to refinish the radiator. Wouldn't concours mean "ugly as original"?

PJ
Formerly known as Bashed68.
Resto-modded '68 convertible.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I think Rick tried to nicely tell you that if you want a nice finish, you'll have to take care of it yourself. A new one won't be a whole lot better.

He also seemed to contradict himself by first saying that original radiators looked like crap, too, but for concours restorations, you have to refinish the radiator. Wouldn't concours mean "ugly as original"?
LOL... Crash, I was working within the common-reality that concours-restorations are typically far nicer than original ever was.. At least aesthetically

To Ralf, Roy (your export-sales contact) has been given the go-ahead (by me) to provide you with an appropriate measure of reasonable and adequate compensation for the poor finish in certain areas. But what seems reasonable to me is the value of the time/materials/trouble to re-finish what you have, which appears to otherwise be a perfectly good radiator. Of if you simply do not like the radiator as a whole, the proper thing to do would be to return it to the place you bought it from for a full refund, and we'll settle-up with them directly if they so request (they may just re-finish and re-sell, that's their prerogative). Anyhow, Roy can reduce your shipping expense for the rocker moldings in an amount that is reasonable for the cost and hassle of re-finishing, if that's o.k. with you. Or you can discuss other alternatives with Roy.
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To Crash
So, may be I did not understand properly what was written between the lines. Excuse my bad english.

To Rick
Ok, the radiator has been build in. Difficult to send it back. I payed also some money for assembly done by the garage.
I'm ok with the fact that I need to grind and re-paint the radiator. Btw. I'm still convinced having bought a high technical piece of cooling system.
I'm ok with to get a real good compensation for the work on the radiator buying the rockers.
Having said this, I'm looking forward to get a price on:
- rocker molding panel NOS left hand side
- rocker molding panel Golden League right hand side
- rivets, clipses, incl. both front clipses and studs
including shipment to Germany.
Quality of the parts doublechecked before shipment.
All this should be continued via pn or mail :-)
Have sent a mail in parallel to Roy as well.
Thx
Ralf

Last edited by Ralf; 11-16-2016 at 06:06 PM.
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 PM

Ralf, hope there's a language problem! You said grind the bad finish off the tank and repaint.
I would use paint remover and scotchbrite.

I thought Rick and NPD would do right for you.

Slim

P.S. Surprised to see that poor workmanship on a top shelf USA labeled radiator.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Ralf, hope there's a language problem! You said grind the bad finish off the tank and repaint.
I would use paint remover and scotchbrite.

I thought Rick and NPD would do right for you.

Slim

P.S. Surprised to see that poor workmanship on a top shelf USA labeled radiator.
What I mean....to wet grind the crincles and than to re-paint the top tank.
I will give this order to the paint shop (if there is no other choice how to handle/solve this issue). He should know how to do this paint job.
To return the radiator will be far to expensive from a shipping point of view and on top disasemble cost. I hope I'll find a solution with NPD and NPD is supporting.

However, this thread is related to rocker molding panels wanted ;-) There is another one on the radiator issue.

Last edited by Ralf; 11-17-2016 at 04:48 AM.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 AM
Supporting Vendor

Roy will take you from here Ralf... And I'll keep checking with Roy to make sure everything is worked out to our mutual satisfaction.

Thanks,

Rick
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Roy will take you from here Ralf... And I'll keep checking with Roy to make sure everything is worked out to our mutual satisfaction.

Thanks,

Rick
Thank U.

It would be great if you could send me 1 or 2 pictures from the top tank on your stock part.
Because I still dont know, if the "top contour" has been filled out with something. Just for comparism.
Thx
Ralf

post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Ralf, the top tank on my 1969 Boss 429's original Ford radiator is the same, there's no valley around the perimeter of the tank. A picture is attached. Apparently Ford did both styles, depending upon application. I'm no radiator expert though. In this picture you can see:

1. The Ford logo in the tank
2. How sloppy a job Ford did with the strap area, and overall

I looked at our US Radiator that we have in-stock here, and it's the same as yours as far as execution. Roy has pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boss429radiator.jpg (95.5 KB, 12 views)
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

To Ralf, Roy (your export-sales contact) has been given the go-ahead (by me) to provide you with an appropriate measure of reasonable and adequate compensation for the poor finish in certain areas. Anyhow, Roy can reduce your shipping expense for the rocker moldings in an amount that is reasonable for the cost and hassle of re-finishing, if that's o.k. with you. Or you can discuss other alternatives with Roy.
I'm looking forward to get a price on:
- rocker molding panel NOS left hand side
- rocker molding panel Golden League right hand side
- rivets, clipses, incl. both front clipses and studs
including shipment to Germany.
Quality of the parts doublechecked before shipment.
All this should be continued via pn or mail :-)
Have sent a mail in parallel to Roy as well.
Thx
Ralf

No news so far....

Thx Ralf

Last edited by Ralf; 11-19-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

Thanks,

Rick
I would like to state, that NPD did their utmost to solve this issue.
This is highly appreciated.
Great communication! Thx to both Rick and Roy!

Thx
Ralf

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Back to topic.
Still searching for a pair NOS, at least RH side + 2 set of clipses NOS.
Thx Ralf

post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Back to topic.
Still searching for a pair NOS, at least RH side + 2 set of clipses NOS.
Thx Ralf
Closed.
Got them.
Thx to Ray (9F02R100011)
Ralf

Last edited by Ralf; 01-04-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page