Vintage Mustang Forums banner

260,289 or 302 engine and/or AT wanted

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  ratlee53 
#1 ·
Looking for a drive train for my 64 1/2 Mustang. Let me know what you have. 49083 zip code.

#7 ·
This is the barn find that has been sitting for 25-6 years. The heads need all new valve and 9 valve guides @ $410. Not sure of short block and the AT should be gone over. If I don't find something close I will rebuild it and have the AT gone over.

#10 ·

I have a friend in Battle Creek with about 20 65-6's and they have been there 30+ years. I'd guess you'd need to rebuild it, but they're untouched and all standard bores. I think he's asking $500 and you'll have to help pull it out! He also has a ton of parts, of which he has NO inventory- it's all piled around!

#13 ·
I have a friend in Battle Creek with about 20 65-6's and they have been there 30+ years. I'd guess you'd need to rebuild it, but they're untouched and all standard bores. I think he's asking $500 and you'll have to help pull it out! He also has a ton of parts, of which he has NO inventory- it's all piled around!
Is this Bob?

#11 ·
It sounds like you are either going to put money into a rebuild on your stuff, or buy something and possibly have to put money into what you get. Here's an alternative.....buddy of mine rebuilt a 1967 289 motor correctly, put a nice roller valve train in, and ran it in his car for about 5000 miles. He pulled it out and put in a stroker. He kept the intake and carb, distributor, exhaust manifolds, and accessories. He told me $1600.00. If interested, I can check and see if he still has it. I can email a few pictrures. In my experience, this would be a good option. Thanks, Jack

#17 ·
Sounds like the same car my brother-in-law and his best friend did a light resto on when they were 16. I met my brother-in-law in 1988 and his friend wasn't driving it back then. Was an extremely solid Florida car needing all mechanicals gone through when I looked at it again in 2002 trying to buy it. Plus side though is it had power steering on it.

-Rich

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.