1966 GT with Power drum brakes - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

1966 GT with Power drum brakes

Looking at a 66 GT built in Metuchen with a Buck tag that indicates PIO. Buck tag VIN matches the fender VIN. Looking at the pictures, it has the other visible GT options, but it has a non disk-brake pedal, screw type master cylinder sitting in front of a power booster. Owner says the car has drums all around. This car was a special order paint job to include Sapphire on a 65B car. Other items on the buck check out. Any chance they were able to order it with factory power drums instead of the discs. I've attached a copy of the buck which has the master cylinder in the background. I guess its also possible someone decided to swap out the disc for a power setup some time after the fact. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600l.jpg (81.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600m.jpg (95.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600k.jpg (85.1 KB, 50 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:07 PM

Garage
Well a few folks in the late 60's and early 70's got p/o'd with the sticking pistons in their Kelsey Hayes 4 piston callipers, so some did switch over back to drums. Sounds weird today.

[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), original 289 A code engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in May of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 speed back in the mid '80's, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Koni's, Opentracker UCA, LCA, roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM

hi DC di u purchase it ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM

In 1980, I bought an all original, rust free 1966 GT with a cracked block for $300. About every option, with console, Pony Interior, AM- 8 Track, etc.

I sold it to someone else 2 weeks later, before ever working on it, and he promptly tore out all the disk brakes and put on drums. Repair parts were very tough to find for the calipers, and all the K/H proportioning valve leaked like crazy. There was a lot of problems with pistons rusting to the inside bores on the calipers, knocking out brake capacity.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM

And most likely someone changed out the pedal pad and unlikely they changed the pedal.
But to confirm, the disc brake pedal should have a 'D' stamped near the pushrod pin, on
the backside. I know my GT has this stamp on the pedal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disc brake pedal stamp D.jpg (44.1 KB, 33 views)

Greg Z.
'66 GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 AM

A whole lot of scenarios here. Was it ordered that way? Unlikely, but I suppose it could have happened. Especially since no Marti reports are available.
Was it changed out to drums. Likely so, but still no proof.
Is the car a "made up" GT? Could be but what if two things above apply? There are other things to identify a factory GT.

The thing of it is, if you buy it, be preppared to continually explain how a GT got built without disk brakes. Unless you are going to find the original parts and re-install them.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 04:23 AM

Also check for the proportioning valve mounting holes in the left apron.... Should be drilled out.

Exactly what you wanted, but not what you asked for...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 AM

There used to be a car around here that claimed the same thing,I always just walked past it so don`t know for sure if it was really true or not.

6r07a143871 --owned since 10/83
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page