1964.5 Mustang oddities? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

1964.5 Mustang oddities?

I recently acquired a unique 1964.5 Mustang that has a couple of things about it that I'm hoping a fellow VMF'r can help shed some light on. This particular car has 25,986 original miles. Original 'Paint OK' stamp, original sheet metal, exterior paint and interior, window sticker, purchase docs, letter from original owner...etc. Well documented originality. Here's where it gets odd:

The car is a factory D-Code 289 4v / 4spd car, but has no 289 fender emblems. No trace of holes, or ever having had holes. And again, they are the original fenders and original paint. Has anyone else seen this on their 1964.5 Mustang?

The other oddity is, there is no trace of it ever having had a window washer bag, window squirters, lines or pump. The original apron is in place but has no holes for the bag hanger. The holes through the cowl are there, but the paint looks undamaged, as in, it looks like there has never been a fastener through the mounting hole.

The car has a build date of July 14 and was delivered to Russ Davis Ford in Covina, Ca. Sold on July 28.

Any insight, help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Formerly RW1967GTA

The lifelong project:
1967 390 GTA Coupe
Ongoing rotation of Mustangs to hold me over until this car is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:06 PM

IIRC windshield washer was optional. Note I had a 64 1/2 D code 4 speed vert. Never saw a V8 early Mustang with no V8 fender emblems.
Doesn't mean it never happened!! Unfortunately I lost the paperwork from the factory order.

Note: NOS service fenders didn't have emblem/insignia, script holes.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that Slim. I appreciate the insight and the info regarding the possibility that the windshield washer squirters were an option. I had thought they were standard equipment.
As for the the fenders not having the emblems, the date stampings are closely behind the build date of the car and the original paint matches. It also has a factory 'Paint OK' stamping on the passenger side fender, so I can't see it being a service fender. The original owner is still alive and I spoke with him. He said the car never had the emblems when he bought it.

Formerly RW1967GTA

The lifelong project:
1967 390 GTA Coupe
Ongoing rotation of Mustangs to hold me over until this car is done.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:40 AM

Garage
The washer squirters were indeed optional as were 2 speed wipers as I recall. As far as the missing emblems, that was probably optional line item #26455 'Front Fender Chrome running Pony Delete Option' on the order form! lol!

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7R01S View Post
Thanks for that Slim. I appreciate the insight and the info regarding the possibility that the windshield washer squirters were an option. I had thought they were standard equipment.
As for the the fenders not having the emblems, the date stampings are closely behind the build date of the car and the original paint matches. It also has a factory 'Paint OK' stamping on the passenger side fender, so I can't see it being a service fender. The original owner is still alive and I spoke with him. He said the car never had the emblems when he bought it.

I wasn't questioning your info. Just an aside. It's possible that your 64 1/2 D code (289 4V) got front finished as a six even though a 289. The goo gas were put on after painting the car. The fenders were pre drilled before painting. The hand/manual entry paperwork for assembly could have resulted in pair of 6cyl fenders on that car. Possibly a quick decision was to add the emblems in the fix up area after the line. On and on, bottom line they never got on. IMO entirely possible

Standard equipment? These cars came with 13 inch wheels, bucket seats , 170 cu inch 6, with 3 speed manual transmission, and single speed wipers, no washer! Ford advertised build it the way you want it. On a convertible the top was manual, power optional. There was heater delete option for a credit. Some think AM radio was standard. Blank out plate was standard. They "bragged" that the standard 3 speed manual has synchronized all forward gears.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 02-23-2017 at 10:17 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Rather than go into all of them,

I believe that all of the differences with '64.5 versus '65 are listed at the website below:

64 List of Differences

Enjoy..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
"They "bragged" that the standard 3 speed manual has synchronized all forward gears. "

That's was a load of bunk....for sure...

Only the V8's had Fully Syncro'd 3-speed manuals..

The six bangers sure did'nt... At least all of the ones that I've owned.. The 1st gear was not Syncro'd... You have to bring the car to a complete stop if you want to shift into 1st gear.... My '65 vert has its original 3-speed manual, and its clearly not fully synchronized...

I had a '66 289 3-speed one time 20 years ago, and it wasn't fully Sycro'd either...but the tranny may have been swapped out at one time.. I actually never bothered to look..so I guess that I'll never know what it was... It was probably a 6 banger 3-speed tranny that was in my 289 car if I had to take a guess. I did'nt even think that you could use a 3-speed 4 banger tranny in a V8 car because of the shaft sizes, but I guess that you can..

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Last edited by NEFaurora; 02-27-2017 at 01:24 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
Rather than go into all of them,

I believe that all of the differences with '64.5 versus '65 are listed at the website below:

64 List of Differences

Enjoy..

)

Tony K.
A difference of available convertible is often controversial. Ealry 65 (we call 64 1/2) vert top was offered black, white or blue. My 64 1/2 ordered by me from Jack White Ford in Milwaukee was Caspian Blue with Blue top. Ordered May 64. December 64 I traded it for 1965 Ivy Green with Tan top. Main reason for trding was for limited slip rear axle. Ford dropped the Blue vert top for true 65, the choice became black, white or tan.

Starting on the 66 model the choice became black or white.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page