Certified and Gold Card judging questions - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM

Re: Certified and Gold Card judging questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster
........... I'll bet they might have had a lessened turnout this year.

Fully understand and agree. We discuss often what must take place to keep organizations appearing unfair and the efforts to remain above reproach.

There is nothing that will run attendees away from a show quicker (except for those benefiting) that the appearance of bias IMHO. Owners tend to wind themselves up enough on their own without any help

Unfortunately not everyone sees it the same way

Jeff Speegle
Come see us @ ConcoursMustang.com
MCA Shelby Judge, SAAC & Team Shelby Judge (in no particular order
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bailbondsman
I assisted with the judging by being the clipboard carrier in Indianapolis this past weekend. This was my 2nd I enjoyed it very much as I had a very thorough and patient gold-card judge to "show me the ropes". His name is Mike Epperson. He took his time, explained to me what he was seeing and what I should be looking for on the cars we were judging. Take it from me, it is not an easy task by any means, as each and every car must be thoroughly inspected on the inside , outside, top side and even the bottom side. That entails getting down on your back to look at the undercarriage of each and every car assigned to be judged. Then, you have to put into words POLITELY what you have seen and why you are making a points deduction. Also, it is nice to make positive comments on the sheets and let the owners know what is extremely good about his or her car. It is a very enjoyable thing to me to do this and to see the good and the bad in cars and to meet all the people associated with these cars.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:58 PM

very well said johnny. we appreciate attitudes like yours very much !

aka carlite65

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM

1MoTime - thanks for helping out. I know that every group can use the help and the more help the more time you can take getting a little teaching in while completing the tasks assigned. What I find even more rewarding is working with the owners to improve their car from show to show and then the opportunity to reward them once they reach their goal.

Thanks again for helping.

Jeff Speegle
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Certified and Gold Card judging questions

Thanks Jeff! As stated, I very much enjoyed the opportunity to help with the judging, seeing some fine cars and meeting even finer people...Car owners, spouses and even new faces I met at the judges meeting! Even more of a surprise was meeting Joyce and Mike Epperson from Utah! They were parked directly across from me at the show, and I was fortunate enough to be assigned to assist Mike with judging the Concours Driven 64-66 class. First class folks all the way around!!

I will be more than happy to volunteer my time in assisting with the judging in Raleigh in 3 weeks !
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM

This past weekend, I was assisting with judging. One of the persons who had a car that was being judged kept hanging around and trying to look over our shoulders. I had questions that I needed to go over with the gold card judge on my team, and I did not feel comfortable discussing a point deduction with this man listening in. Was I wrong to politely ask him to step aside or what should I have done in this instance ? He looked like I had offended him when I asked him to let us talk in private, but he did not say anything. I do not want to come off as rude to these folks since they, like me, worked very hard to get thier cars in show condition and took the time and effort to get them many miles to the show, but still, judging has to go on!
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Mo you acted correctly. Normally this is handled by the team captain/leader.

If the person does not adjust their position or continues the team captain/leader can request one of the Asst or Head Judges to deal with it so you and the team can get back to work.

Thanks for helping

Jeff Speegle
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM

Hey Jeff!

It is a great pleasure for me to help with the judging ! I am enjoying it VERY much and enjoy meeting the owners and seeing the good and the not so good in these cars ! The not so good aspect is not necessarily bad, but it does give you a true appreciation for the efforts that people put forth to produce a GOOD car !

Thanks again !

Johnny
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Re: MCA Judging booklet

At the judges meeting in Indy, I rec'd a copy of a very small and slim booklet that dealt with MCA judging and the conduct of judges and the benefits of judging....It was about 4 or 6 pages in length.,.Not written or composed in paragraph style but rather in "bullet" points.

I took this booklet with me to Raleigh and lost it...Do you or anyone else out there know where I might get another ? I checked with Kristie in the MCA office and she says that the MCA does not have it, and thinks that it was privately published.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Was it quarter sheet with a map of the US on the cover with National Judging Program and Guidelines?

Surprised that headquarters does not have them - would guess Allen or Charles has more copies - I've got to go through and rewrite it by the end of the year according to Charles

Jeff Speegle
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 PM

I think it had that map, but I cannot say for sure. I was very concise, not immensely bigger than a checkbook....Full of pointers for judges.

No..Kristie emailed me and said that she had no idea of what it was, and that it must have been privately produced.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 PM

it was privately produced by a former mca asst. head judge in the early 90's. i have a copy.

aka carlite65
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:06 PM

Fred, if you can recall who was handing them out at the judges meeting in Indy, I would appreciate knowing so that I might inquire about another copy.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM

allen stewart may have some. drop him a line.

aka carlite65
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM

Certified and Gold Card judging questions

I looked Tom's email address up on the MCA website and sent him an email..If I do not here from him, I will contact Mr Stewart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page