Certified and Gold Card judging questions - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Going back to when I first started in MCA and the local club (about 13 years ago), to get your gold card judging certification, you pretty much needed a couple of letters from current gold card judges, written to the head judges. But before you did that, there was a judging certification test which seemed geared more towards the daily and occasional driven classes. This was usually the first step in judging (after carrying a clipboard for the afternoon). From a previous conversation and reading some threads, it appears this has changed.

First – who - within MCA - do you first need to contact to become a certified judge? Is this similar to the test that they used to give out when you started to judge which ‘certified’ you for the driven classes (daily and occasional driver)?

Next – if you want to become a Gold Card Judge, it is my understanding that judging shows with current gold card judges is what you will need to do as well as a test. Is this correct?

Any insight into the process will be greatly appreciated.

This post was originally going to be an email to Charles Turner since I know he is the ANHJ for the class i am interested in – but then I figured others might be interested down the road if they decide to do a search in the forum

-Jeff
MCA Gold Card Judge 64.5-66

all thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

http://www.MustangClubofTampa.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 AM

To become involved in MCA Judging, here is a current description:

-Assuming you have never been to a National show, attend a couple Nationals and ask to be an assistant judge at the judges meeting. Assistant judges do not have to be certified. Basically, you follow around the judging team and observe the judging, you may be asked to write the deductions on the judging sheets. Writing is highly recommended so you become familiar with the sheets.

-If you like judging and want to continue, then you can become a certified judge by passing a written test. There's a written test for each class(es) you would like to judge. Usually the corresponding assistant national head judge or former ANHJ has written the test. Currently, Joe Odine, MCA ANHJ for 4th/5th Generation is the test administrator. You request the test from him and then send it back to him when it's done. He will then either grade it himself or send it to the appropriate ANHJ for grading. If you pass the test, you become a certified judge indefinitely and get a certified judge card.

-If you still want to continue further and become a Gold Card Judge, the process is a little different (at least as I know it now). I'll describe how I go through the Gold Card Judge process. First, I like for you to judge at least 5-6 National shows as a certified judge. Once you do that, communicate with me that you want to become a Gold Card Judge. For me, I no longer require 2 recommendation letters from other Gold Card Judges. What I will do at this point is either judge with you personally or put you with a Gold Card Judge for evaluation. After 1 or 2 times of this, I would make the determination of whether or not you should be a Gold Card Judge. If I think you're ready, I will recommend you to the National Head Judge and the Head Judge will issue a card and certificate. If not, then I would give feedback on areas you need to improve on and we could re-evaluate the next show season. Once you become a Gold Card, it's good for 5 years and you must attend at least 1 National Show a year to maintain your GC status. When you are a GC Judge, you are the lead judge on a team and can judge alone if necessary(Certified judges cannot judge without a GC Judge). If there is a disagreement, you have the authority to have the final word. You are viewed more as an ambassador of MCA and expected to maintain a professional, positive and educational judging experience to the owner and other judges.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 AM

Interesting. Thanks for the post and the answers.

Mark Brown/San Diego

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Charles

Joe Odine is now the judging test corodinator now not Chuck Micele. Joe Odine is near Detroit, MI and his address is on the MCA website.

R "Shorty" Brown
MCA Gold Card Judge Modified Divison
Member MCA Board of Directors
MCA # 03233
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Thanks, edit made!

Wally is working on a more official guidelines document for this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bailbondsman
Certified and Gold Card judging questions

I will be very upfront and honest in this. I would love to become a judge someday, but I have absolutely no mechanical aptitude, but I do have a love of the early Mustangs. Is there a reasonable expectation that I might in some way qualify as a judge ?
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Trouble

Absolutely! It's just a matter of studying and working on judging teams, mechanical ability isn't necessary at all.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified All Years
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Laurie is right. There is no mechanical requirements to be a judge, although restoring a car will teach you a lot of the details. So long as you know the rules and how to apply them, you most certainly could be an MCA judge!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:20 PM

And if I want to become a judge, don't you think I should wait until my car has been retired so as not to seem as though judges are in a a "click" if my car is a gold award winning car ?? I know I cannot and would not judge my own car, but I would not want to even give a slight hint of impropriety
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM

Nope, you don't have to wait until you retire your car. Everyone knows the rule that you can't judge your own car or a car you have been involved with restoring/preparing.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks ! I am planning on being in Pensecola for the show in the Spring, so i might just ask to help with judging so that I might start the process ! I appreciate your help very much !
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 02:52 AM

I highly recommend being the "clip board" carrier scribe on the team. It's the best way to get started and learn what the judges are looking for and where they find points deductions as well as when the owner goes the extra step.

Judging can be hard work but when you see other cars intimately and can apply what you learn to your own pony it is well worth it.

J.

[color:"purple"]JOYCE E.[/color]
Northern Utah Mustang Owners Association

"Breath In, Breath Out, Move On" (JB)
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 PM

The first MCA national of '09 is next month in Indianapolis, so I'm confused as to what the complaint is here?
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Since this was a discussion about MCA judging, not sure what your point is?
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Certified and Gold Card judging questions

I can tell you that, as an MCA certified judge for 67/68 Shelbys, I judge the 68's and not any 67's. This is because my car is entered in the 67 Shelby Trailered Concours class. Not allowed.

But, I have attended the Indiana SAAC Spring Fling numerous times and have always thought the judging fair. Some years, some SAAC National judges show up and judge at this show. And, it's nothing like the SAAC judging you'll find at the SAAC national Conventions. I'll bet they might have had a lessened turnout this year.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page