1966 Reverberator - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to stang289
I am currently restoring my 66 and have been trying to dig up some information about the reverberator that is mounted on the left side of the trunk. The cardboard has long since deteriorated leaving only the metal base and exposed electronics.

I would really like to restore the unit that is there somehow, or at the least, replace it with a NOS reverb unit correct for that year. Apparently, Rotunda as well as StudioSonic produced these for 1966. Does anyone have any good links, resource materials, pictures, etc. of these units?

I'm going to try to go back and see if there is a part number somewhere on whats left of the original unit, but would really appreciate any information that anyone might be able to provide since I seem to be hitting brick walls.

MCA #16019
66 Mustang Coupe
68 Mustang Fastback GT J Code
86 Mustang SVO
01 Mustang GT Conv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:30 AM

Only thing I know about these is that some, if not all were Motorola units. The reverb unit was mounted in the trunk(anywhere) with a speaker added to the middle of the rear package tray and a control knob mounted on the bottom edge of the dash.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 PM

I have a reverb unit that came with my '66 fastback when I purchased it. I haven't done anything with it yet, it's still packaged up in a box in my shop...

There was a NOS unit on ebay about a month or two ago. I can't remember if it met the reserve and sold or not.

The only info. I could find is what is on Dave H's site.

Ad

Components

Here's a list of the radio manufacturers and part numbers as well.

MCA Certified Judge 64.5 - 66 Concours
1965 K Code Coupe
1966 K Code GT Fastback
www.6R09K.com

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

6T6... thanks for the info and the links. This is the second restoration for this car and the first time I never even tried to revive the reverb unit. The second time around I decided to restore it as well and have found it to be one of the hardest and most difficult items on the car to research.

Out of curiosity, assuming that the reverb unit that came with your fastback is original and not purchased years later, do you see who manufactured the unit and maybe even have a part number?

Thanks again for all the replies.

MCA #16019
66 Mustang Coupe
86 Mustang SVO
01 Mustang GT Conv
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

btw...I did see your link with the radio manufacturers and part numbers, but that actually adds one more piece to the puzzle.

I have been told that Rotunda made them for Ford, then that StudioSonic made them, and the lastest is Motorola. Maybe one produced the units for the other?? Maybe Ford used more than one manufactuerer??

So the best way that I can see is to find an actual 66 reverb unit and look at the stampings. I'm hoping to look at mine again this evening to see if I can find any part numbers or manufacturers names.

MCA #16019
66 Mustang Coupe
86 Mustang SVO
01 Mustang GT Conv
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 05:53 PM

Since the unit came with a speaker what panel will you be cutting a hole in to mount the speaker? Something to consider.

HAve a couple units I'll have to dig out

Jeff Speegle
Come see us @ ConcoursMustang.com
MCA Shelby Judge, SAAC & Team Shelby Judge (in no particular order
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang289

So the best way that I can see is to find an actual 66 reverb unit and look at the stampings. I'm hoping to look at mine again this evening to see if I can find any part numbers or manufacturers names.

Most items box for Rotunda were really made by outside vendors and reboxed. The reverb units (just like the Ford/Rotunda ones) were available across the counter at auto stores in a number of different packages and with different names. Pretty much the same vendors from the ads of the era

Jeff Speegle
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Speegle
Since the unit came with a speaker what panel will you be cutting a hole in to mount the speaker? Something to consider.

HAve a couple units I'll have to dig out

The first time that I restored the car, back in the late 80's, the reverb was connected to the rear speaker of the AM radio mounted in the center of the rear deck cover behind the back seat.

I plan to put the AM radio back in and go back to the front / back speaker configuration. I'll then reconnect the reverb to the rear speaker.

MCA #16019
66 Mustang Coupe
86 Mustang SVO
01 Mustang GT Conv
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 01:12 AM

Checked the two units I have at home. Neither had any Ford identification just Motorola markings

Jeff Speegle
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:46 AM
Banned

I have not seen such a well-kept and beautiful mustang! Classic!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 08:43 AM

Garage
I've got an original switch that was in a car I parted out years ago. Back in the 60's my Dad actually took a complete unit from a wrecked car and built a 'custom' box to house it in, added a converter, and connected it to the family stereo system in the house! I remember seeing it in Grandma's house when I was a kid- not sure what ever happened to it though. Pretty cool how they actually work!

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 AM
Banned

wwwcomcast
I have not seen such a well-kept and beautiful mustang! Classic!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 AM

was looking for this information, thanks to the author of the post, I am glad to join your community!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Welcome to VMF.

The reverb unit created amazing sound on a simple system. There was an adjustable delay between the front and rear
speaker. Gave it a large hall effect. These didn't become very popular because the 60s was when stereo was the big
new thing.

Slim

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page