Concours Pics - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Can someone point me in the right direction for Concours pics of any 1970 Dearborn cars?

I have a 70 convertible and am having no luck in searching or finding any type of quality pictures or guides.

Thanks!
Flying Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

What part of the car are you doing.... undercarriage, interior, exterior .......?

May be able to provide some original pictures.... most restored cars would require additional notes explaining what might not be correct. Not to say original cars wouldn't anyway
Jeff_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Doing a complete restoration. I have the body on the rotisserie now. I'm documenting the progress here:

On the 69stang site

It is a complete car with a few semi-rare combinations, one of them being the late model Y color code of Chestnut Metallic (a PO painted it blue). According to the Marti report, it's the only one with that color code and trim options with AC. I know that's not super rare but enough to not want to go crazy with changing anything and keep it original.

So with that said, I'm looking to go more of the concours route. But to tell you the truth (and no offense) it's almost like being in a "secret society" when it comes to getting information. You would think someone would have written a book by now or something. I'm a member of MCA and can read the rules and all but when it comes down to pics and finishes and markings, I'm lost.

This site is a great help with lots of good people and I've been lurking here for a while and thought it would be the best place to ask.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

I think the problem is that with respect to the details, there's so many variations that it would be darn near impossible to fit the details for more than one specific car in one place.
'70 'verts are probably a good candidate for such a book, since they all came from Dearborn, but there weren't that many of them, so where would the market be for such a book? '70 'verts also seem to appeal to a specific group of buyers (yeah, I'm one of them), so its not like people who owned '67 'verts would be likely candidates to buy such a book.
As far as details, the disassembly process is where you can find most of them, like the markings on different components. They are frequently still hidden on the car itself. The rear axle on my 'vert had some markings I've never seen before, but they were there alright.
If you hit particular questions, ask away, and I'll share what I've accumulated to date.

Carl

'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cpierc...eels Small.jpg
chpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was, and still am somewhat, in the same position as you. What helped VERY much was to be an assistant judge at the Springfield National show. I learned so much by judging the cars, then I made a good friend who is a gold card judge too. He walked me around his two cars and pointed things out. I had my camera with me to take pictures of everything, then catalogued the information.

However, there are still some details that are hard to determine. I even noticed an incorrect detail on my new friend's car! But the best way to figure out those details is to ask on this site. Jeff Speagle has tons of documentation of original cars, and others have restored many cars and can help.

Another good way is to use the search above. After reading and posting on here for a few weeks, I noticed who were the die hard concours people. Then, I did a search and started reading their posts. You can learn a lot by doing that. I would copy some of the text or photos into a Word document and catalogue the information for when I will need it.

One big hurdle for me to overcome is that I wanted to know everything before I started. This is basically impossible. I also wanted to get it done as fast as possible, but realized that patience is necessary for a true concours restoration.

Hope this helps.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...ang/Garage.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...Vert-Small.jpg

"That guy is so detailed that he would rebuild the engine to change the oil."
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the input!

I have been searching the web and cataloging pics and such. So far I have everything labeled in a boatload of baggies and took hundreds of pictures during the disassembly. It's amazing what you can find on a car during this process. Because of the surface rust, I can barely see any markings. The only clear markings are on the Magnum 500 wheels (which weren't factory, of course) but they are original ford wheels with red and white paint dots on the inner wheels.

I hope my previous post didn't come across as a rant because that wasn't the intention. It sure is hard to find specific info but then again, as stated, there wasn't a whole lot of 70 convertibles made.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace
So with that said, I'm looking to go more of the concours route. But to tell you the truth (and no offense) it's almost like being in a "secret society" when it comes to getting information. You would think someone would have written a book by now or something. I'm a member of MCA and can read the rules and all but when it comes down to pics and finishes and markings, I'm lost.
Not really a "secret society" but just a challenge to collect the knowledge and finding a method to share it with those that need it. Many efforts are underway... only time will tell which is successful. The bottom line is the challenge of so many years, plants and running changes for example.

I see that you haven;t made it any easier to share information with since you have not yet filled out your profile with email and location information. This is often helpful when asking for answers.

To get started I could send you a pdf with a draft of some basic Dearborn front wheelwell and undercarriage drawings and pictures that might help. What you have asked for is allot of information considering the detail needed. Not a problem .... just takes time. I do wish to complement you on wanting to get the uni-body as correct as possible, since if done right you have allot of options. Done wrong you have few.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Jeff - I would be interested in information for 1970 Dearborn built Mach I's and convertibles.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...ang/Garage.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...Vert-Small.jpg

"That guy is so detailed that he would rebuild the engine to change the oil."
Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2007, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Speegle
I see that you haven;t made it any easier to share information with since you have not yet filled out your profile with email and location information. This is often helpful when asking for answers.

:blush: Oops! Sorry. I just updated it! I REALLY do appreciate the offer, but please, don't go out of your way. I'm like a sponge now about this and am trying to get as much info as possible.

It seems that everyone I talk to wants me to mod the car, but I'm kinda partial to making it what is was made to be from the factory. Hopefully I can do that for whomever the next owner is long after I'm gone. Time will tell!

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jeff,

Here's some more info on my car from my first Marti report:

Old 08-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Looks like a nice car. Not many 70 convertibles built or left. Had one many years ago (Yellow special order paint, real wire hubcaps, white deluxe interior) One of the few Mustangs I wish I had keep (out of 70-80) but needed to sell it to make rool for a Shelby

Will get some details out to both of you tomorrow. DO with them as you please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.