Brake lines: a nightmare with SS - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I posted the difficulty I am having with the Stainless Steel brake lines I puchased from "Right Stuff" detailing. I suspect that SS is so much harder than carbon steel and therefore requires more torque to seal than can be applied while using the original calipers, distribution block and proportioning valve. After weeks of trying to seat the SS lines, I cannot get them to stop leaking. They leak at ALL junctions, not just one or two.

So, have other folks encountered the same issue using SS lines?

I think it's time I give up on SS and go back to carbon steel lines. If I use DOT5 fluid (which I am), should that minimize rusting of the carbon steel lines?

Can anyone speak to using regular steel lines and how quickly they start to rust and look bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM

Well, i have stainless lines from NPD and didn't really have a problem with them sealing, that is after i made the major newb mistake of using thread sealant tape (hey i was only 16 :p ). I'm wondering if "Right Stuff" flares are different than these cars? If you can't get one to seal, i'd be yelling in Right Stuff's ear about it.

70 Mach 1 - 351w/T-56
70 SportsRoof - 302/C4
05 F150 FX4
06 BMW 530xi

T56 Conversion
DIY Ron Morris-like Motor Mounts
DIY Engine Crossmember
DIY Camber Eccentric Eliminator Plates
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to GT_SCODE
I had the same problems but eventually got them to seat.

You are living with the combo of the SS and the DOT5, DOT5 will leake where DOT3 will not.

1967 GT S-Code Fastback http://www.gtscode.com and www.SilverBullitt.com

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM

I had problems with the lines leaking at the master cylinder but eventually it did seat.

1969 Indian Fire SportsRoof
1969 Lime Gold 428 CJ Grande 1 of 37
1989 Black GT Convertible 22K miles
2006 Dark Toreador Red F-250 Lariat PSD CC 2WD
MCA # 24108
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

The biggest problem area I had was the proportioning valve. Crow's foot/wrench fixed that too. No problems at all after I got those seated.
Dave
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

OK, thanks guys. So did everyone above use SS lines?
I think I should buy a carbon steel piece and compare.

To the guys who used SS, where did you get them? I am considering trying a different manufacturer, since I assume there are several "grades" of hardness when considering the alloy used in stainless.

GT_SCODE, you also had trouble with DOT5? I had not heard that this fluid leaks more easily than DOT3. I used is specifically because it will not eat paint. And a good thing I did - since I have leaks EVERYWHERE! :-)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 AM

I had initial problems with seating with mine. The "solution" is to tighten them, then back them off and retighten and repeat this several times. They will eventually seat.

65 GT Coupe, 66 Convertible, 67 Shelby GT350, 68 Coupe, 70 R Code Mach I, 96 GT Convertible, 03 Mach 1

http://www.lornewillard.com

MCA #38287
MCA Certified Judge: 1965-66 Concours, 1967-68 Concours, 1969-70 Concours, 1971-73 Concours, 1965-66 Shelby Concours, 1967-68 Shelby Concours, 1969-70 Shelby Concours, Daily Driver, Occasional Driver
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 AM

Yep, I had not gotten through enough of the "loosen and tighten" iterations with my '65 GT convertible before selling it. When the car arrived in CA at the new owner's garage, his mechanic called to ask what type of brake fluid was used in the car as the reservoir was half full.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:36 PM

I had only minmal trouble getting mine to seal, but I was a little panicky with brake fuid leaking on my new paint at first. I got my lines from The Paddock, but it was years ago and I can't remember the manufacturer.

Joe

'67 Fastback 351c, T-5, 3.70 Trac-lok
'69 Mach 1 project
'71 Boss 351
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

How many iterations are we talking about? I've loosened and re-tightened them at least 6 times each and they still leak.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to GT_SCODE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
GT_SCODE, you also had trouble with DOT5? I had not heard that this fluid leaks more easily than DOT3. I used is specifically because it will not eat paint. And a good thing I did - since I have leaks EVERYWHERE! :-)
I so feel your pain on this one! I am still not 100% sure that mine will not leak. I went through so much fluid I almost cried at the site! Almost!

1967 GT S-Code Fastback http://www.gtscode.com and www.SilverBullitt.com
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:40 PM

Hi Angella, I used S.S. lines on my 67 Gt500 from the Right stuff and at least half of the fittings leaked.
The problem is with the tubing flare. They are deffective by being off-center, incomplete, or overflared causing a crack. It you take one apart that is not leaking and compare it to one that is, the problem will be apparent.
I got them to replace a couple small lines. The other lines were to much of a pain to deal with so I fixed them myself. It is not that hard.
You may have to cut the existing flare off and make a new one. If you only cut just enough off it should not be a problem. Some just are not flared enough. Directions are usually supplied with the double-flare tools.
A tubing cutter and double-flare tool are each available from sears or harbor freight, northern tools, pep boys.
The tube nut only needs to be tightened to 10-15lb-ft, so if you feel the need to keep tightening that fitting - there is something deffinately wrong.
Just remember to take your time - something that was not done the 1st time!

bigB427
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:48 PM

"To the guys who used SS, where did you get them? I am considering trying a different manufacturer, since I assume there are several "grades" of hardness when considering the alloy used in stainless."

I bought my whole set from Virginia Classic Mustang. This was about 3 years ago.

No leaks from any connection. Maybe I got lucky.

Off to the next show!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the continued comments; this helps!

My leaky set is from "Right Stuff Detailing".

I tried on SS line from NPD (not sure who produced it) and IMO it did not closely resemble the original.

Anyone tried SS lines from "Classic Tube"?

I'll check into what Virginia sells...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Bringing this back as I have the same issue. I have the SS lines from Classic tube and they leak quite a bit in some spots. I am going to try to loosen and tighten them as I feel that I am almost at the point where any tighter will break something.

-Brett
1968 Mustang coupe 5.0/T5
FiTech EFI
Build Thread
Current Project: 1968 fastback 351w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page