Best repro '66 Low Profile rally-pac?? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Best repro '66 Low Profile rally-pac??

Subject: Best repro '66 Low Profile rally-pac??

Ok, The time has come to buy one of these, and I see that there are two vendors making them/selling them..

#1 The first is Scott Drake..

This rally-pac looks great, but the one thing that bothers me is that there's just "RPM x 1000" silk screened on the tach and no "F O R D" silk screened there..

How good are these?

Next..

#2 The second are the one is being sold on E-bay by Sacremento Mustang. I have no idea who the maker is, but they are officially licensed by Ford and have the correct "F O R D" silk screened on the tach which is most correct.

Anyone buy one of these

Yes, There is a third, but kind of obscure.. I remember awhile back that Dallas Mustang Parts was making one as well.. Anyone know about these?

Suggestions

Which one is best??

Anyone have the Sacremento Mustang Rally-Pac
That's the one that I am leaning towards..

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible
MCA#70001

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 PM

Why don't you get an original? They are on e-Bay frequently. For about the same price as a repro.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 11:54 AM

Dallas Mustang sold the pac stuff to Pro Products who where acquired by Scott Drake. The pac that Dallas or Pro sold required an extra wire to engine. The original pacs on 66's were a straight hookup under dash requiring no more than hooking up. Have an original low profile pac and it does have Ford printed on the tach. Never even noticed it before and I had it on two different Mustangs. It's soon to be put back in service, but the clock has all but died! The six cylinder low profile pac is kind of a scarce item.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:34 PM

the other manufacturer i believe is oval industries. it hooks up as an original. i used this one a couple of years ago and it worked fine. i am not sure where the owner purchased it from.

aka carlite65
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Oops! Forgot you had a 200...yeah, can't remember the last time I saw a 6 cyl. Rally-Pac original for sale.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:03 PM

Re: Best repro '66 Low Profile rally-pac??

I have the Sacramento Mustang '65 rally pac. The overall quality is good. I've had it installed for about a year now, but my car is a garage queen and hardly ever sees the light of day.

The only issue I had with the installation was the wiring. My '65 originally had a rally pac, and I had a problem getting the tach to work. After reading and rereading the installation instructions, I finally ran a "hidden" hot wire to the coil to activate the tach. It's worked like a charm ever since.

I also had a problem getting the lights to work on my rally pac. I hooked everything up according to the instructions, only to have the car blow a fuse every time I tried to activate the dash lights. I finally gave up and left it alone; not like I drive the car that much anyway.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Re: Best repro '66 Low Profile rally-pac??

I've used original and the Scott Drake repo. The repo has a couple of differences beside the missing FORD on the face of the tach. The lighting in the repo is a bright white that is much brighter than the dim blue in the dash lights. I actually prefer the brightness in the repo pac since you can see the guages much better in the dark, but it is different then the original.

The original low profile pac had the blue bulb cover inside the tach like the ones on the back of the instrument panel and therefore the lighting matched. Not so on the repo.

Also the wiring on the original was connected in series with the resistor wire in the ignition switch. The repo connects with a separate wire directly to the coil. So for the concours guy this wouldn't be correct as there is an extra wire connecting to the coil.

The quality of the housing and the measurement accuracy of the guages on the repo are fine. Overall the Scott Drake piece has served me well for the past 3 years or so and I don't regret getting it.

66 Mustang 2+2 Fastback
289ci 4100 4bbl, toploader 4spd, rally pac, dual exhaust, A/C, P/S and center console

74 Camaro Type LT Z28 - 350 4 speed and very fast

78 Firebird Trans Am Special Edition 6.6 litre 400 auto

79 10th Anniv Firebird Trans Am 6.6 litre 403 auto
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Yes, I have a Rally Pac sold by Sacramento Mustang. It is more difficult to install than indicated. I have taken my Mustang to an Mustang shop, but there was an issue with the pac and it is being repaired. These do not work with HEI distributers. The product looks great and seems to be built well. More later.......
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 02:25 PM

I agree that the oval industries is the best one, there are subtle differences in it verses the newer scott drakes (which now include the ford logo) and other repro ones. IMO opinion they are closer to the originals than anything on the market. One thing that's immediately noticeable is the quartz movement works more like the originals did, meaning the second hand is a ticker rather than a smooth movement. Also, as mentioned they hook up exactly like the original ones did as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:30 PM

I, too, installed an Oval Industries repro and I felt it was the closest looking to oem.

The lighting however was terrible. Just couldn't see the gauges at night, even though
the bulbs were working.

Tony, what did you end up getting?

Greg Z.
'66 GT
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:31 PM

The lighting on the originals is terrible...even with new bulbs.

Regards,
Patrick
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
I went with the Oval Industries Low-Profile Rally-Pac for my '66vert and for my '65vert, I went with the Newly Upgraded Scott Drake '65 High profile Rally-Pac.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page