'68 J-Code motor - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default '68 J-Code motor

Here is a picture of a '68 J-Code motor a friend (My427stang) of mine and I built. Now comes the fun stuff...DETAILING. I plan to detail the motor to MCA Concours driven class. I hope to have the motor painted in the next week, although I have to clean up the air cleaner assembly. This motor was all original and never opened up. Only service parts had been replaced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: '68 J-Code motor

I hope that as you do this engine you will share images and information of your work. Many here will be interested!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

[quote=6t8-390gt]Here is a picture of a '68 J-Code motor a friend (My427stang) of mine and I built. Now comes the fun stuff...DETAILING. I plan to detail the motor to MCA Concours driven class. I hope to have the motor painted in the next week, although I have to clean up the air cleaner assembly. This motor was all original and never opened up. Only service parts had been replaced.

Your sig indicates you are a '68 fan. The one thing I'd like different on my '68
is a J code. Bad legs and back don't allow 4 speed, as an engineer I like small block.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Danny - automatic or stick engine?
Jeff_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default '68 J-Code motor

This is an automatic car/ motor. I actually bought the engine/ trans. combo; but for now just the engine is going into the car.

The engine was removed from a Dearborn car and is being installed in a San Jose car. I figured alot of the details should be the same since all J-codes engines were assembled in the same plant (Cleveland). I also took quite a few pictures b/f disassembly which should help.

I have never detailed a small block; so I am trying to get everything right (or as close as possible).

Danny
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmurphy
I hope that as you do this engine you will share images and information of your work. Many here will be interested!
I do plan on sharing. I removed the choke stove from the exhaust manifold today; and if all goes well I plan on using the Eastwood manifold paint for them b/f I paint the engine.

Does anyone know if the exhaust manifolds had engine paint overspray like the 390/ 428 did? Also was the thermostat bypass hose installed b/f paint?

Danny
Old 03-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8-390gt
Does anyone know if the exhaust manifolds had engine paint overspray like the 390/ 428 did?
Yes - I choose to apply a coat of bare metal rattle can lightly to the surface of the block and head below where the exhaust manifolds attach before attaching them to protect the surface from rust - where the engine color would later not reach because of the exhaust manifold.

Remember to have the exhaust manifolds surfaced so you don't have to use manifold gaskets. And start hunting for cork gaskets that have "ears" that line up with all the cut outs, or you will be gluing them on in the correct locations

Will have to check how many and which valve cover bolts were in place at the time the engine was painted and if/which ones were not. IF they followed the same practice used on the early SB engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t8-390gt
Also was the thermostat bypass hose installed b/f paint?

Yes by pass and clamps

You may choose to paint the end (where the hose will attach) of the water pump since there would have been a mask slipped over the end of it and one on the end of the thermostat housing since they did not want paint between the hose connection.
Jeff_Speegle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.