Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Service Decal

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Magnus 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I'm finishing out the engine compartment and I was about to apply the Service Specification sticker.

Where exactly does the Service decal go? I was going to put it on the driver's side shock tower. Does this look about right?

My car is a 1965 FB that was built in San Jose.

See less See more
#2 ·
Anywhere on that shock tower, original assembly line workers were pretty sloppy, mine was installed sideways and I've seen upside down. Do you have any old pictures of it before restoration?

original

New concours repro. next to normal repro.

#4 ·
Anywhere on that shock tower, original assembly line workers were pretty sloppy, mine was installed sideways and I've seen upside down. Do you have any old pictures of it before restoration?

Here's a pico of the "old" engine compartment. Actually, I think that the the old decal might have been painted over.

#3 ·
Thanks! I have some pics somewhere. Although any digital pics I had are gone with a crashed hard drive. I should have some film-pics of the car somewhere.

#6 ·
My original '66 Specifications decal is located 1 1/4 inches away from the wall and is mounted horizontally like John mentioned and the top starts in the middle of the 2nd lower bolt hole a little lower from where you originally pointed it to where you thought it might be.

Tony K.

#7 ·
service sticker location

Got mine to post - this is a 1968 San Jose unrestored..all original down to the plugs wires hoses filters, etc. except for the reproduction battery. 11,830 miles

Attachments

#8 ·
Bringing back an old thread as I had noticed this a while back and kept forgetting to ask. I just found this thread and wondered about my car. My service decal is on the side panel versus the shock tower. You can see it in this pic...

It is old and worn and looks to have been painted around a few times, and not very carefully. I have done some searching and not found another pic of a car with this placement. As far as I know this car hasn't been damaged in front. It appears to have all the original sheet metal....(minus the passenger quarter that someone pointed out to me has been replaced. Although the pass quarter does have a date stamping like the originals, it just lacks the tabs with the holes on the flange where it is welded to the outer wheelhouse) Every other panel on the car has date stampings. I haven't gone through and verified the dates coincide with the build date yet. But the point is i don't think this car was ever hit in the front and wondering if the placement of the service sticker is factory.

Anyone seen this placement?? I am wondering if I should leave it or replace it in that position since the edges have been painted and the rest of it is old and crusty. Or replace and put in the shock tower position??

In and For Christ,
Glen

#11 ·
I never saw that before, but I have seen/read about a lot of quirky details reading assembly line work. If it were me, I would leave it like that, or if you restore your engine compartment I would put it back the way it is. Weird stuff like that makes your car a little more unique, and adds an interesting perspective that will let your ca r be a little different than the other 999,999 Mustangs built. Take lots of pics of the original so you will have something to rely on regarding placement, and also so you can show it to nay-Sayers as proof that it was like that from the factory. My 2 cents.

BTW...can you take a closer picture and post it?

#9 ·
It's really not the "correct" placement for the '68 Service Decal, but that doesn't mean that it was not there originally. There were some quick and sloppy employees at FORD...especially before and after the '68 Ford UAW Strike.. and also some employees liked to work in a "HIGH" state using certain Organic Substances....lol..

..So anything is almost possible.

I would suggest removing the decal and putting a new one in the correct area... That's what I would do.

The Service Decal was usual put on the Driver's Side Shock tower Horizontaly, but I have noticed that most A/C cars have it installed Vertically in the same spot due to extra hoses and so forth.. Just an observation... Since your car does not have A/C, The Decal gets installed Horizontally as normal on most cars.

:eek:)

Tony K.

#10 ·
Hey, they were slapped on. Didn't use a precise template! Doesn't mean the line workers were half drunk! The assembly line instruction probably said one goes over here! It would seem logical that upside down would be hard to read!!

#12 ·
The car is in storage. Winter hasn't been too bad this year and our snow is gone. If it holds out, I will get it out of storage in a couple weeks. I can get a pic of the sticker close up then and I will post it here.

In and For Christ,
Glen

#13 ·
My original owner Dearborn-built 68 coupe has it horizontally on the passenger side shock tower, which is typical for the Dearborn cars.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't know the proper way to clean the paint off but I can say that acetone is definitely not the answer.

My original sticker looked just fine until I wiped over it with some acetone while I was cleaning up the engine bay. It wiped the printing right off of it.

Good luck cleaning yours up. Hopefully you can find something that works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.