Service Decal - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Service Decal

So, I'm finishing out the engine compartment and I was about to apply the Service Specification sticker.

Where exactly does the Service decal go? I was going to put it on the driver's side shock tower. Does this look about right?

My car is a 1965 FB that was built in San Jose.

Last edited by stephanorf; 05-31-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 PM

Anywhere on that shock tower, original assembly line workers were pretty sloppy, mine was installed sideways and I've seen upside down. Do you have any old pictures of it before restoration?

original

New concours repro. next to normal repro.

66 K code coupe
Bought new by my Dad, now its mine,
still unrestored and running fine!
91 5.0 LX Notchback, daily driver
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I have some pics somewhere. Although any digital pics I had are gone with a crashed hard drive. I should have some film-pics of the car somewhere.

Steve-o

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66kcoupe View Post
Anywhere on that shock tower, original assembly line workers were pretty sloppy, mine was installed sideways and I've seen upside down. Do you have any old pictures of it before restoration?

Here's a pico of the "old" engine compartment. Actually, I think that the the old decal might have been painted over.

Steve-o

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:30 PM

Looking at your unrestored engine bay photo the "ghost" of the original service decal is clearly visible. It was mounted horizontally. Hope that helped.

John Wilson

My factory GT '66 Fastback (photo circa 1984, and I still have it!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
My original '66 Specifications decal is located 1 1/4 inches away from the wall and is mounted horizontally like John mentioned and the top starts in the middle of the 2nd lower bolt hole a little lower from where you originally pointed it to where you thought it might be.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM

service sticker location

Got mine to post - this is a 1968 San Jose unrestored..all original down to the plugs wires hoses filters, etc. except for the reproduction battery. 11,830 miles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010007.jpg (92.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg P1010008.jpg (98.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1010009.jpg (96.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1010010.jpg (97.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P1010011.jpg (96.1 KB, 35 views)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Garage
Bringing back an old thread as I had noticed this a while back and kept forgetting to ask. I just found this thread and wondered about my car. My service decal is on the side panel versus the shock tower. You can see it in this pic...

It is old and worn and looks to have been painted around a few times, and not very carefully. I have done some searching and not found another pic of a car with this placement. As far as I know this car hasn't been damaged in front. It appears to have all the original sheet metal....(minus the passenger quarter that someone pointed out to me has been replaced. Although the pass quarter does have a date stamping like the originals, it just lacks the tabs with the holes on the flange where it is welded to the outer wheelhouse) Every other panel on the car has date stampings. I haven't gone through and verified the dates coincide with the build date yet. But the point is i don't think this car was ever hit in the front and wondering if the placement of the service sticker is factory.

Anyone seen this placement?? I am wondering if I should leave it or replace it in that position since the edges have been painted and the rest of it is old and crusty. Or replace and put in the shock tower position??

In and For Christ,
Glen

1966 Mustang coupe 6R07C
Silver Frost, Black Vinyl top, Black standard interior
3.03 3 speed, 2.80 diff, Dual exhaust
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
It's really not the "correct" placement for the '68 Service Decal, but that doesn't mean that it was not there originally. There were some quick and sloppy employees at FORD...especially before and after the '68 Ford UAW Strike.. and also some employees liked to work in a "HIGH" state using certain Organic Substances....lol..

..So anything is almost possible.

I would suggest removing the decal and putting a new one in the correct area... That's what I would do.

The Service Decal was usual put on the Driver's Side Shock tower Horizontaly, but I have noticed that most A/C cars have it installed Vertically in the same spot due to extra hoses and so forth.. Just an observation... Since your car does not have A/C, The Decal gets installed Horizontally as normal on most cars.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Hey, they were slapped on. Didn't use a precise template! Doesn't mean the line workers were half drunk! The assembly line instruction probably said one goes over here! It would seem logical that upside down would be hard to read!!

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthrough View Post
Bringing back an old thread as I had noticed this a while back and kept forgetting to ask. I just found this thread and wondered about my car. My service decal is on the side panel versus the shock tower. You can see it in this pic...

It is old and worn and looks to have been painted around a few times, and not very carefully. I have done some searching and not found another pic of a car with this placement. As far as I know this car hasn't been damaged in front. It appears to have all the original sheet metal....(minus the passenger quarter that someone pointed out to me has been replaced. Although the pass quarter does have a date stamping like the originals, it just lacks the tabs with the holes on the flange where it is welded to the outer wheelhouse) Every other panel on the car has date stampings. I haven't gone through and verified the dates coincide with the build date yet. But the point is i don't think this car was ever hit in the front and wondering if the placement of the service sticker is factory.

Anyone seen this placement?? I am wondering if I should leave it or replace it in that position since the edges have been painted and the rest of it is old and crusty. Or replace and put in the shock tower position??

In and For Christ,
Glen
I never saw that before, but I have seen/read about a lot of quirky details reading assembly line work. If it were me, I would leave it like that, or if you restore your engine compartment I would put it back the way it is. Weird stuff like that makes your car a little more unique, and adds an interesting perspective that will let your ca r be a little different than the other 999,999 Mustangs built. Take lots of pics of the original so you will have something to rely on regarding placement, and also so you can show it to nay-Sayers as proof that it was like that from the factory. My 2 cents.

BTW...can you take a closer picture and post it?

Steve-o

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:37 PM

Garage
The car is in storage. Winter hasn't been too bad this year and our snow is gone. If it holds out, I will get it out of storage in a couple weeks. I can get a pic of the sticker close up then and I will post it here.

In and For Christ,
Glen

1966 Mustang coupe 6R07C
Silver Frost, Black Vinyl top, Black standard interior
3.03 3 speed, 2.80 diff, Dual exhaust
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Trouble

My original owner Dearborn-built 68 coupe has it horizontally on the passenger side shock tower, which is typical for the Dearborn cars.

"I love it when a plan comes together!" -- Hannibal Smith

68sig4.jpg

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified
Moby, 1971 Mach I - Occasional Driver
MiniMe, 1966 Mustang Jr. - For Fun

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page