1967- which interior colors, where - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1967- which interior colors, where

Does anyone here have a chart that shows which interior parts are painted what colors on a '67 Mustang? The application here is a red interior (2D code) convertible, and it is the kick panels that I'm most interested in at the moment.

Don't point me here: Auto Color Library - The World's Largest Online Color-Chip Library Oddly, the interior page for '67 is missing.

National Parts Depot lists only a single "Dark Red metallic" for '67 interior paint, but I've seen elsewhere that two shades of red were used, but the information I have on this is seems contradictory with other info.

What is known to be correct?
Cobrajet70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Everything was the same color red, whether painted or vinyl, even the carpet. The upper dash pad is the only exception, it's an even darker red.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'll point you to this one instead.
1967 FORD MUSTANG Information Specifications Resources Pictures
Which shows 2 colors of red for the interior. The info I have been able to come up with shows a tu-tone red interior with the dash and steering column being a dark red and (I think) the rest of the interior being simply a red iridescent. Unfortunately both of the sources I found for this info are now defunct. (The OLD FoMoCo forum and the "S" code registry site.)

The good news is that you are asking about the kick panels and those were never painted. The plastic was molded in the correct color, so you get what you get. If you have an original and need to have a set painted, you should be able to get a decent color match by using the back side of the original to compare to.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

The dashboard moldings at w/shield would have been painted dark red to match the pad.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Here are the postings I was able to find...

I captured the text of the postings I found and saved them to my home PC. I wasn't able to access them earlier because I was responding from my work PC. I hope they help. I was unable to get my local paint supplier to match the codes to a usable single stage. Buying them in base/clear and flattening the clear might be an option.

FROM THE "S" CODE REGISTRY SITE:

there's two reds group 1 is *r/m#5773r group 2 *r/m#5732r dupont color.

group 1: instrument panel, steering col. door trim panel,console,arm rest pads and kick panels..

group 2: lower windsheild mouldings, crash pads, windlace, windshield posts, sun visors, metal door surface, qrt. panel trim and overhead strip.

FROM THE OLD FoMoCo SITE IN RESPONSE TO A QUESTION:

My 1967 FB S-Code shows the following: 1967 Ford Interior Paint Code: 5773 - Red 1967 Ford Exterior Paint Code: 71528 - T - Candyapple Red (#2008-A off of Marti Report) 2D - Red Bucket Seats

According to my records, the Red interior found in thousands of 1967 Mustangs was a 'tutone' - ie: created by using two shades of paint. Much as is the case with appointments, the darker shade is used around the crashpad and the other is used everywhere else.

[...]
2.) Was the interior of these cars truly red or maroon/wine colored usually? Was it a mix of both red and wine/maroon?

The specified shades are Red Metallic (Ford #1968; old PPG/Ditzler #71541) and Dark Red Metallic (Ford #2082; old PPG/Ditzler #71566). I wouldn't refer to the darker shade as 'Maroon', but I can see why some folks might.

[...]
1.) is there any way to determine when I order carpet for example, whether I need RED or MAROON?

I think it bears mentioning here that Ford offered no 'choice' of carpeting for your application. Of course, this begs the question of just what in heck the 'repro' guys are peddling, these days. Here's a similar thread that might be of some interest.

Anyway, Ford offered only one shade of carpet for your car...called, oddly enough, 'Red'. ;-) For the record, this was the only Red carpeting offered for any 1967 Mustang. I checked my old sample-books and it looks like a close match to the lighter shade of interior paint.

Hope this helps.

Mr F

If this info is incorrect I apologize, but I believe it to be accurate. Hopefully you can make some use of it.

Last edited by SpareTime; 09-25-2010 at 12:21 AM.
SpareTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

SpareTime - you've run across some of the information I've been able to find and this all seems to support there were two shades of red used in '67.

The only info on grouping I saw was what you found:
-----------------------------------------------------
there's two reds group 1 is *r/m#5773r group 2 *r/m#5732r dupont color.

group 1: instrument panel, steering col. door trim panel,console,arm rest pads and kick panels..

group 2: lower windsheild mouldings, crash pads, windlace, windshield posts, sun visors, metal door surface, qrt. panel trim and overhead strip.
---------------------------------------------------------

So which group is red and which is dark red?

(FYI - I need to do a color change on new black kick panels and don't have access to the car or original panels right now.)
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

The metal part of the door was the same as the doorpanel. I believe the steering column was the same color as the lower dash (metal) The visors were the lighter red. and so was the windlace.
The 66 had the same shade of red and their breakdowns are the same as the 67. As an example, have an original pair of 66 visors and they are the lighter red, same as a 67, as is the headliner. If you were to order 67 red kick panels you'd get the lighter shade.
As to describing the color, held one of those visors to a bottle of Diet Cranberry Juice and it looks fairly closel Cheez! What a comparison lol!
Those groupings mentioned above, are exactly the same as the full of mistakes, How To Restore Your Mustang by Dobbs,Farr, first printing about '82.
The picture of the red interior 67 fstbk looks to be on the money.
I have the ACC carpet swatches, and the 66-7 would use the darker "maroon/oxblood", which is tied in with the darker dashpad The 65 used the Red shade.
Re the colors mentioned in tha Old Car site that did the color breakdown on the 67 colors, those color nos. were for DuPont Lucite Lacquer and up to a year ago was able to get that 66-7 shade of red using that formula and they are Dead On. NPD comes very close with their interior colors.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Confused

yelowstang - let me see if I can parse this down then:

You're saying the listings I included in my previous post are likely not accurate as you associate them with the inaccurate Dobbs/Farr book. OK, so that leaves me with no accurate list of interior color grouping. As I already didn't know which group was red and which was dark red, that leaves me with pretty much nothing at all.

You said that '66 is apparently the same as '67 as far as color groupings. Good to know, but I don't have a color grouping list for '66 either. That Auto Color Library had "official" documents shown, but not for '66 or '67. So, that leaves me with nothing to associate with '67.

The photo of the interior of the '67 was nice, but it doesn't show all the parts. For instance, I specifically mentioned the kick panels and cannot see them.

Let me be clear that I'm not asking how to identify or match a particular shade of red. I am asking for a list of parts painted in "red" and a list of parts painted in "dark red", from an accurate source (not someone's memory, or a photo of a car). This information is available for '68 onward but I cannot locate one for '67.

Man, this shouldn't be so hard. It's a '67 Mustang, common as a house-cat, er house-(pony?)!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Old Ride.com has the colors and those Dupont #'s I mentioned. Didn't mean to say that ALL the stuff in that early mag is wrong but there's quite a few.
The real tutone 67 interiors were blue, aqua, which had light blue,dark blue seats etc. Ivy gold also. Saw a tutone saddle on todays auction but it was a 68. Parchment was all one color except dash pad, belts carpet were black.
Again, getting back to the 67 red, that fastback pic nails it. Look close and the column is not dark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.