64.5 Power Steering Pumps - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 64.5 Power Steering Pumps

Hello all,

I'm a newbie to this forum; so if this question has been asked before, please forgive me.

A little background...

I have an early 64.5 (April 15, 1964 DOB) that I've owned for 30 years. My kids are pretty much out of the house now leaving me with more time and money to do what I want for a change. I started doing research on my car and discovered that it was originally equipped with power steering. Sometime before I bought the car, the complete power steering system was removed, except for the cylinder mount bracket on the frame rail. I had always wondered what that bracket was for and when I decoded the steering box tag, I found out.

From what I've been able to piece together from articles and pictures on the Internet, I assume it should be equipped with an Eaton pump with an integral tank since I do NOT have A/C. I also know that I will need hoses, brackets, the proper drag link, tie rod ends, control valve, cylinder, bolts, nuts, etc.

I have seen pictures of both cast iron and stamped steel pump brackets for this car, but I am unsure which one is correct for my build date. I'm assuming cast iron, but not totally for sure. I'm hoping someone might have a detailed picture or two of what this setup should look like.

I'm hoping there are a few knowledgeable people out there who can provide some assistance and correct my assumptions. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Any recommendations as to where obtain a "complete" PS system?

As I stated before, I've owned and driven the car for 30 years without the PS, so if the correct answer is to leave it as is and forget the PS, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions.

John Simms
Edwardsville, IL

Car details:
64.5 Coup
289 cid
4V Autolite Carb.
4 Speed Man. Trans.
Power Brakes
2 Speed Wipers
Rocker Moldings
john_simms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

I have a mid-April D-coder that still has all the original PS stuff. It's a driver so not pretty but I can shoot a few pix of the brackets and pump. I rebuilt the Eaton pump after buying the car 20 years ago and was pretty impressed with its simplicity and condition. It took a standard 3/4" hydraulic shaft seal that I use on hydraulic pumps in the shop and a couple of o-rings and a gasket to mount the tank. I imagine the under-car gear is similar to a 65. I've had zero trouble with the system since I've owned the car and it sat for eight years until just recently. You should be able to rob some parts off of other Ford cars of that era.

I'll try to get something up tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a web image of the exact bracket which is on my car.

Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_simms View Post
Hello all,

I'm a newbie to this forum; so if this question has been asked before, please forgive me.

A little background...

I have an early 64.5 (April 15, 1964 DOB) that I've owned for 30 years. My kids are pretty much out of the house now leaving me with more time and money to do what I want for a change. I started doing research on my car and discovered that it was originally equipped with power steering. Sometime before I bought the car, the complete power steering system was removed, except for the cylinder mount bracket on the frame rail. I had always wondered what that bracket was for and when I decoded the steering box tag, I found out.

From what I've been able to piece together from articles and pictures on the Internet, I assume it should be equipped with an Eaton pump with an integral tank since I do NOT have A/C. I also know that I will need hoses, brackets, the proper drag link, tie rod ends, control valve, cylinder, bolts, nuts, etc.

I have seen pictures of both cast iron and stamped steel pump brackets for this car, but I am unsure which one is correct for my build date. I'm assuming cast iron, but not totally for sure. I'm hoping someone might have a detailed picture or two of what this setup should look like.

I'm hoping there are a few knowledgeable people out there who can provide some assistance and correct my assumptions. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Any recommendations as to where obtain a "complete" PS system?

As I stated before, I've owned and driven the car for 30 years without the PS, so if the correct answer is to leave it as is and forget the PS, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions.

John Simms
Edwardsville, IL

Car details:
64.5 Coup
289 cid
4V Autolite Carb.
4 Speed Man. Trans.
Power Brakes
2 Speed Wipers
Rocker Moldings
Give me a call John, We have what you need, Factory correct.

South of Jacksonville, Ill, just a few minutes away.

Dan @ Chockostang

217 882 2083
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

You may want to check out this website:
www.stangerssite.com
a lot of great info on the power steering system.

I have the used original power steering parts that you need,
leave me a PM if interested.

65 Fastback 2+2 Rangoon red, red interior
6 cyl, AT, A/C, P.S., P.B.

MCA# 00945

Previously owned Mustangs:
6F07C,5F07T,5F09A,6F08A,
5F07C,3F03F,1F03H,3F03H,
1F04F,3F01L,8F03Y,9F03W,
84 SVO,86 SVO
65fastback6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 04:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here's a suggestion that will reward you for many moons! Get Bob Mannel's book on the Small-Block Ford engine in the Mustang. I cannot describe how much very accurate, detailed information is provided in this 500 page book on questions just like you are asking.
www.fordsmallblock.com
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryancobb View Post
Here's a suggestion that will reward you for many moons! Get Bob Mannel's book on the Small-Block Ford engine in the Mustang. I cannot describe how much very accurate, detailed information is provided in this 500 page book on questions just like you are asking.
www.fordsmallblock.com
Thanks. Ordered a copy this morning. I love Christmas presents to myself!
john_simms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.