69 Mach 1 with Cruise Control - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 69 Mach 1 with Cruise Control

My 69 Mach 1 has Ford factory cruise control, and BIG surprise, it doesn't work. The entire system is there and complete, but looks like quite an involved contraption. If anyone else has cruise on their car that can give me some pointers on where to start sleuthing for ways to test parts and possibly make it operational, I'd be most appreciative.
MEADOWFERN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

You might try contacting Bob Perkins at Perkins Restorations in WI-and Jack at Dead Nuts On, he is very knoledgable on '69s and '70s these 2 guys will be your best bet IMO.
6hypoconv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6hypoconv View Post
You might try contacting Bob Perkins at Perkins Restorations in WI-and Jack at Dead Nuts On, he is very knoledgable on '69s and '70s these 2 guys will be your best bet IMO.
Noted, thank you! I appreciate your leads. Have a good one.
MEADOWFERN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know nothing about these vintage Ford cruise systems (btw, Damn, I wish my Mach had cruise!), but I do know that one of the most common problems with any cruise control is a mis-adjusted brake switch. Besides that, just poke around and look for broken vac lines.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

The '69 Vacuum Schematic has a few diagrams of the system, but it doesn't really go much into how the system functions or how to troubleshoot it. Still, if you're trying to piece a system together or just want to see how everything fits together, it's better than nothing.
drummingrocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you are still trying to get your cruise control fixed, feel free to contact me. I have a 69 Mach1 with factory cruise, a few spare parts, a complete extra system and all the manuals I could collect.
69mcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mcodemach1 View Post
If you are still trying to get your cruise control fixed, feel free to contact me. I have a 69 Mach1 with factory cruise, a few spare parts, a complete extra system and all the manuals I could collect.
Hello, If you have any ideas where to start searching, I'd really appreciate your input. My system is complete, but just doesn't activate. Is the electrical usually at fault or a vacuum line? All I know is the dual speedo cables going into the control box are working. When I push the switch on the dash, nothing activates. Maybe I could send you a self addressed stamped envelope and you could send copies of whatever you have. I only have that photocopy of the schematic purchased from one of the Mustang parts houses, but it just doesn't go into much depth. Sent you a PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would first check the fuse in the system to make sure its not blown. Second I would check to make sure you are getting 12V to the on/off switch. Then I would check the turn signal wand-the two position button can go bad-also the wires that go to the wand are very small gauge and snake through the column and can get broken easily. I would unplug the turn signal wand and check its function with a multimeter by checking the button in both positions. Then I would put a vacuum tester on the servo(bellows) and make sure it holds vacuum. Also, make sure the control box underhood is getting vacuum to port marked "V" (I think) and out the bellows/servo marked "S". Also, there is a holding relay out on the control box under hood. Sometimes these relays get water inside and rust and wont move-you can take it apart or put 12V to it and you will hear it click if it works-basically the same as tilt relay. Finally, I would crack open the control box under hood. The perfect circle units have points than can get corroded, but for the most part these isn't any electronics in these-maybe a few resistors, I think. If the control box has had water inside you should look for another unit-I think all ford/lincoln perfect circle/dana units were the same 68-9. These units were also used by other manufacturers but the wiring may be different. You could also look at the cutoff wiring that jumpers into the brake light switch-these often get broken or rerouted, but usually only prevent you from shutting off the system. Good luck.
jwalkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalkerman View Post
I would first check the fuse in the system to make sure its not blown. Second I would check to make sure you are getting 12V to the on/off switch. Then I would check the turn signal wand-the two position button can go bad-also the wires that go to the wand are very small gauge and snake through the column and can get broken easily. I would unplug the turn signal wand and check its function with a multimeter by checking the button in both positions. Then I would put a vacuum tester on the servo(bellows) and make sure it holds vacuum. Also, make sure the control box underhood is getting vacuum to port marked "V" (I think) and out the bellows/servo marked "S". Also, there is a holding relay out on the control box under hood. Sometimes these relays get water inside and rust and wont move-you can take it apart or put 12V to it and you will hear it click if it works-basically the same as tilt relay. Finally, I would crack open the control box under hood. The perfect circle units have points than can get corroded, but for the most part these isn't any electronics in these-maybe a few resistors, I think. If the control box has had water inside you should look for another unit-I think all ford/lincoln perfect circle/dana units were the same 68-9. These units were also used by other manufacturers but the wiring may be different. You could also look at the cutoff wiring that jumpers into the brake light switch-these often get broken or rerouted, but usually only prevent you from shutting off the system. Good luck.
Thank you for a detailed list of potential problem areas. I really appreciate your input. My push button on the turn signal stalk pushes in, but pops right out, there's no two click action to it's movement, or is that maybe only when it has power going into it... which it probably doesn't.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would just trade it in for a 65, we dont have fancy things such as cruise control.
cds2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

I didn't know they had CC as an option in 69. Must have been pretty damn rare. Did 70's have that option as well? Maybe Grandes and verts only?
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Cruise control was optional on 68 Stang.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

In 68 it was called Speed Control. It was availible on any model that had V8 and automatic tranny. Was factory or dealer option.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

On 69-70 models, was there a dash indicator to let the driver know it was engaged or?
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

There's a person on V-M that has a 67 cvt with speed control. Less than 100 of those.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.