Correct Interior Colors for 1965 Blue Pony Interior - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Correct Interior Colors for 1965 Blue Pony Interior

I have a Fastback built on April 7, 1965 in San Jose that has the blue with white pony interior. It is now completely Red and I want to change back everything to be correct. Does anyone have any pictures of the correct colors of the entire interior for this car? I don't know the metal color of the inside doors, the Dash Color, the headliner color, for that matter I really don't have much of an idea what the colors are besides the seats. Since everything is currently wrong it's kind of hard to know what is correct.
Thanks
Todd
blueridgestang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

This won't help you at all but my interior is blue when it was originally red! I've always thought it was funny that someone went through that much work 30 years ago.
72 Camaro, gathering parts for restoration
ALEBEAU415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you asking about the two-tone blue/white deluxe interior or the white with blue appointments deluxe interior? Do you know the interior code on your data plate?

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

It is the blue with white appointments, so it is mostly silver blue with a small white panel. The car is at the restoration shop and I do not have the code handy,
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it is white with blue appointments, the general would color scheme would be like this (if you substitute blue for red).

Basically, everything is white except for the dash pad, carpet, and seat belts.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, but actually I really need to know which blue, I have been told there is a 65 blue on earlier cars and a 66 blue that is also found on later 65 cars. I have seen some with a silver blue color and some with a medium blue color. for instance I have seen the door with silver blue door panels yet the textured metal is a medium blue. The guys that I get my restoration parts from say that the silver blue color is correct for my late 65 car, does that mean the door panels and textured metal on the door is all silver blue, does that mean the dash pad and metal dash is all silver blue or is the metal silver blue and the pad a contrasting med. blue? I just want to make sure what is right before I spend a lot of money. Does any body have pictures of a late 65 interior in my color combo?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

There was a paint code typo in one of the resto books (Dobbs, IIRC) years ago, so there's more confusion here than there should be.

R/M 5747 Med Blue Irid is correct for '65 standard interiors
R/M 5748 Light Blue Irid is for '65 deluxe and all '66

That typo led to all kinds of weird Frankenstein combos. My '65 standard had been repainted with the incorrect '65 deluxe/'66 color back around 1981.

Last edited by datac; 10-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.
datac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

If your interior code is 62, Here's the picture from Klaus Early Mustang.
I'm pretty sure this is how it's suppose to look.

If this is 100% correct and the 1966 light blue Irid 5748 color is right for all blue painted metal, here is the custom mix color exact match that I had created from the INSIDE surface of one of my factory quarter trim panels. It was obviously factory paint and had never seen the light of day, so it wasn't faded. The PPG TPC Global BC/CC product without the clear topcoat was what was suggested to me as what most closely replicates the Lacquer finish that was used at the factory. The spray-out card was completed with paint that was manually matched by hand. Then the spray-out card was scanned with the X-Rite Profit machine and a computer formula was generated. I am very happy with the color and gloss level if I use the Global BC without any clear topcoat. I don't have any white in MY car since it is not a Pony car, but standard 66 Blue like mine, and 65 Pony Blue, like yours, are the same color.

Last edited by bryancobb; 10-27-2011 at 05:41 AM.
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, if that interior is correct, that is exactly what I needed. Thanks alot for the color info that is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.