1965 289 engine - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1965 289 engine

Hello everyone thanks for your help

well i was wondering if anyone has the right engine color for the 289 1965 i am haveing engine rebuilt and befor they start i wanted to tell them to paint what?? thanks again jon
roxribs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Block, heads and intake are black. Valve covers and air cleaner are gold.
Asm109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Jon,

Your 289 should look like this

Disregard the blue alternator fan and pulley. Unless you've got a June or July Dearborn car, your alternator fan and pulley should be semi-gloss black.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

That would be the "concours" correct way of doing it. I just had to do it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also have a 1965 289 4bbl. The date stamped on the motor is Sept. 22, 1964. It does have the gold valve covers. However, the engine block, manifold, water pump, etc are Ford blue. From what I was told this was the original untouched motor. I cannot find any evidence of black paint under the blue. Does anyone know the cutoff time when Ford changed from black to blue. Could some of the 65's have the blue motors?
birddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
From what I was told this was the original untouched motor.
You were told wrong. All 64.5 and 65 260 and 289 long blocks were painted black. I wouldn't expect to see any blue blocks prior to August 1965.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygreen65 View Post
Jon,

Your 289 should look like this

Disregard the blue alternator fan and pulley. Unless you've got a June or July Dearborn car, your alternator fan and pulley should be semi-gloss black.
Not sure what you are saying here...are you indicating that JUST June and JULY ('65) (DEARBORN)got the Blue fans and pulleys? never heard that before....

I purchased (as suggested by a high ranking MCA judge) a "correct" alternator for my July 27th (Dearborn)'65 K Code from Dead Nuts On and the pulley and fan are Black......
6hypoconv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6hypoconv View Post
Not sure what you are saying here...are you indicating that JUST June and JULY ('65) (DEARBORN)got the Blue fans and pulleys? never heard that before....
Here is what I'm saying here. The blue alternator fan and pulley are correct for some late 65 (May - June 65) Dearborn cars. Check your MCA rule book with regard to that. My T22 Dearborn convertible had the original alternator, which had a blue fan and pulley. That's why I replicated it that way. I know there have been a few San Jose built cars with the same blue fan and pulley, but from what I have seen and read, they represent a very small window of production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6hypoconv View Post
I purchased (as suggested by a high ranking MCA judge) a "correct" alternator for my July 27th (Dearborn)'65 K Code from Dead Nuts On and the pulley and fan are Black......
And I never stated that black was incorrect. I stated that my blue fan and pulley were correct for MY car, and the MCA rule book backs that up.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I also have a 1965 289 4bbl. The date stamped on the motor is Sept. 22, 1964. It does have the gold valve covers. However, the engine block, manifold, water pump, etc are Ford blue. From what I was told this was the original untouched motor. I cannot find any evidence of black paint under the blue. Does anyone know the cutoff time when Ford changed from black to blue. Could some of the 65's have the blue motors?
In late 1965, spooling up for the 66 Model year, Ford changed ALL engines to the Corporate Blue color in a concerted effort to capture BRAND IDENTITY and have Ford and Blue seered onto everyone's mind.

To my knowledge, there is not one single documented example of an engine leaving a Ford assembly line with the block painted blue and not blue all over.

"Original untouched motor" means different things to different folks. To me, that means nothing MECHANICAL has ever been done. Someone painting the block blue would not fall in that category.
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Paint

I am trying to repaint the block on my 65 289. What paint did you use to paint yours? It looks great! I used kyron 1316 the first time, but its not available, so not what. Would have to be a rattle can...
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.