64.5 or 65? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 64.5 or 65?

My 65 has a date code of Oct 64 on the door tag. I know some engineering changes, etc can be traced down to a specific month, but in general, should I consider 64.5 or 65 configurations to be correct for my car?

One example is the fuel pump to carb line which runs in front of the dist for 64.5 and behind for 65.

Thanks!

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't consider an October 64 car to be anything but an early model year 65. There are some features that started with the 64 1/2 production and weren't phased out until later into the 65 model year, but that doesn't mean they were "64 1/2" features.

My March 65 champagne beige convertible has chrome wiper arm bezels, which were phased out not long after my car's build date. That doesn't mean my car has 64 1/2 features. It just means I have the earlier wiper bezels. My June 65 convertible has the 66 style emergency brake cable. That doesn't make it a 66.

If your car has a generator, then you can tell people you have a 64 1/2. If it has an alternator, you've got a 65 or later car.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

People can change alternator/generators out. A good way of seeing if it is a 64.5. #1)horns down on the frame rail next to radiator,#2) the passenger seat DOES NOT adjust. #3) the air vent knob on D.S. has an A stamped in it.....Thats just a few definite signs of a 64.5,,,,Hope this helps.
69mach351W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Default Great 64.5 vs 65 website!

This is the best website I know of to learn about the differences between the 64.5 (also described as built before 15 Aug 1964) and "early 65s" built after retooling in Aug(?) or so (excluding this forum, that is).
My Pony has about 15-20 of the items listed, but is decidedly a 65 (scheduled build date of 23 Dec 1964).

Scroll down to see the list on the website.

1965 200ci I6 Hard-top,
Black & Wimbeldon-White and Awesome Car All-Over!
5F07T381000

Last edited by Dogface GI; 12-05-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added info to scroll down to see the list.
Dogface GI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach351W View Post
People can change alternator/generators out. A good way of seeing if it is a 64.5. #1)horns down on the frame rail next to radiator,#2) the passenger seat DOES NOT adjust. #3) the air vent knob on D.S. has an A stamped in it.....Thats just a few definite signs of a 64.5,,,,Hope this helps.
Since the non-adjustable passenger seat was phased out in early May 64, what does that make a June 64 build date car with an original adjustable passenger seat base? And, a friend has a J22 build date 65 coupe with an A stamped fresh air vent knob. Should I tell him his car is actually a 64 1/2?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

My concern wasn't really if I call my car a 64.5 or 65, it was trying to replace missing items etc correctly, or at least as correctly as possible. Sounds like Aug 64 was a major cutoff date, so most of my items should be 65 in general.

Is there a good list of 64.5/65 changes and corresponding dates out there? I've found some info on hipomustang.com and concoursmustang.com.

Dogface GI thanks for the info. I can't find a list on the link you posted though?

Thanks

Last edited by mystang; 12-05-2012 at 09:53 PM.
mystang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've never seen a list noting running changes and the dates they were implemented. Your best bet is to search the archives here and at concoursmustang.com regarding specific items and see if you can pin down the approximate dates the changes took place. And, with 3 different plants manufacturing cars and different inventory levels of parts to use up prior to incorporating a change, trying to determine accurate dates can be a tough task. That's what makes restoring a car correctly fun.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygreen65 View Post
Since the non-adjustable passenger seat was phased out in early May 64, what does that make a June 64 build date car with an original adjustable passenger seat base? And, a friend has a J22 build date 65 coupe with an A stamped fresh air vent knob. Should I tell him his car is actually a 64 1/2?
check out this web site. 1964 1/2 and 1965 Differences | Shnack.com. Also, 64.5 parts while being phased out did find there way onto 65 Mustangs. There are no "True" cut off date for 64.5's, but it is been said by Mustang Enthusiasts to be mid-August...Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
check out this web site. 1964 1/2 and 1965 Differences | Shnack.com. Also, 64.5 parts while being phased out did find there way onto 65 Mustangs. There are no "True" cut off date for 64.5's, but it is been said by Mustang Enthusiasts to be mid-August...Hope this helps.
Actually, 65 production started August 17, 1964 at Dearborn and San Jose. Metuchen production didn't come on line until February 1965.

I don't know that I would suggest that website as an authoritative source of information. The build date info is incorrect, the 170 engine code was U and not V, etc. Not bashing you or the site, just warning others of incorrect information.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

No, I don't hold ANY web site to truth or knowledge about the exact changeover date from 64.5-65, But, realistically, all web sites are subject to being updated or improved.
And as stated, while 64.5 parts were being phased out, they did find their way onto early 65's.....

And I was just saying, "check this web site out', by no way, shape, form or fashion I said it was concrete evidence that all stated was true. Nobody knows the "true" evidence.

So, with that said, What is the "correct build date info"? Does anyone know the true build dates?...Do you?

Here's another website you can "check out" i retreived from the Concours Mustang Forum. www.jasonzimberoff.com/mustang/64faq.html. With special thanks going to Charles Turner and Steve Grant,MCA Gold Card holders in MCA.

Last edited by 69mach351W; 12-06-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
So, with that said, What is the "correct build date info"? Does anyone know the true build dates?...Do you?
The correct build date info for what? The true build dates for what? As I stated before, 1965 model year production (using an alternator charging system) began August 17, 1964. Prior to that, it was considered early 65 (64 1/2) production by Ford and used a generator charging system. With regard to early production features, some were changed during during early 65 production (i.e. non-adjustable passenger seat base) while others were changed well into 65 production (i.e. clip-on door handles). If you want change over dates for specific items, you'll need to research them because change over dates were determined based on the manufacturing plant and the inventory level of that particular feature at the time the change went into effect.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Wink

You stated the date August 17,1964 and also mentioned the date of Feb. 1965,,, thats the dates I'm talking about, not specific parts dates.

Nobody knows EXACT dates. But as always, it is a subject of discussion and will always be more information and discussion over years to come......Have a good evening
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Alright, then we'll dismiss the date. If it will assist this thread, the following are the first VIN numbers for 65 production:

Dearborn - 5Fxx250001

San Jose - 5Rxx125001

A VIN that precedes these numbers would be considered a 64 1/2.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks for all the great info everyone. My car is clearly in the 65 range, but has things like no wires on heater shell, slotted tire hold down, early style wire hubcabs, and quarter panel trim that has tabs to hold it down instead of extending all the way to the door.

Learning a lot and enjoying it!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
A lot of the electrical system changed going from generator to alternator...it's not a simple swap!

Slim

AFAIK 64 model Ford products had generator. 65s had alternator.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 12-07-2012 at 11:17 PM.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.