70 Rocker Panel Mouldings - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Concours Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 70 Rocker Panel Mouldings

Looking for rocker mouldings. Mine are great but owner before me painted them mat black...
jatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

These parts aren't reproduced and are crazy expensive for good originals. Why wouldn't you just have yours stripped and painted the correct color vs. trying to find another set of originals.
razrbak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. I thought of having them stripped and repainted but I haven't had any luck finding the paint. If you have a paint code or know where I could get the paint that would be great! Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbak View Post
These parts aren't reproduced and are crazy expensive for good originals. Why wouldn't you just have yours stripped and painted the correct color vs. trying to find another set of originals.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I guess my first question has to be whether you're working on a Mach or a non-Mach. When you said painted, it made me think Mach, since the non-Mach ones are chromed, not painted.
The Mach rockers can be stripped and repainted fairly easily, if all that is wrong with yours is that they are painted, this would be the way to go.
If you're dealing with non-Mach chrome trim, they are beyond difficult to find. Best bet is again to restore what you have, if the only problem is paint. If they have dings, the dings can be taken out and the panels rechromed. If you don't want to go that far, the '68 moldings will fit up, but have different curves on the ends.
Funny story, my 'vert needed a set of '70 rockers (it had '68s on it when I bought it). I searched long and hard, even bought a couple of beat up examples. After a year and a half of searching, I found someone who had one NOS panel, and it wasn't cheap. We discussed careful shipping, and yes, I paid for insurance for the package.
The seller put it in a carboard tube, taped to a 1x6 board. When it arrived, the carboard tube and rocker panel was bent in half, and the 1x6 was broken in the middle. Yes, the shipper paid the insurance. Took me another year and a half of searching before I found another NOS piece, luckily a pair, and yes, I drove to pick them up.

Carl
'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cpierc...eels Small.jpg
chpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ya try and find nice OE 68 Moldings!

By the way pretty sure the moldings are aluminum (the 64 1/2, 65, 66 and 67/68 are). The bright finish ones would be bright anodized. Black/painted ones would be anodized before paint for corrosion resistance. Don't do something like blasting to get the paint off, could be very hard on the aluminum IMO.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hear ya, Slim. The nice thing aboiut the '68 moldings, however, is that they're available in repro.
I'm not sure of the material on the '70s, seems heavier than aluminum. Most of the trim caps and such are flash chromed steel, I'll see if I can pull out the bent molding I received, and see if a magnet sticks.

Carl
'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

I also have a 70 Torino GT vert. The rocker moldings on it are also anodized aluminum. Seems odd that the 70 Mustang would be different material.

Could you explain the flash chromed steel trim caps? I'm a materials nut, never seen something like that on exterior trim!

Slim

By the way, love your 70 vert...especially the white interior! My 70 Torino vert is also an M code with shaker.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default rocker moulding paint

Hi:

The paint for the 70 rocker panel mouldings is medium gray poly. The same lor is used on several other parts as well, such as grille, lower grille moulding, headlights surrounds, sport lamp surrounds etc. Mine too had been painted black, so I went at them with scotch brite to get them prepped for paint. Here's a link to a discussion of this topic from the 428CJ forum.

1970 Mach 1 rocker panels
70qcode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. The car is a Mach 1. I'll get them pulled off and paint them . Thanks again
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

i just did mine last month.

i didnt have to take them off.

brushed on some chemical stripper from Lowes. used some very light steel wool and small wire brush.
hit it it again it came all clean. gave a good rinse then primed it and painted dark argent and just sand blocked the MACH 1 lettering with some 400 grit back the natural metal

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I did mine as well. I bought several cans of the NPD charcoal metallic. I gto to thinking about it and didn't think it would be tough enough for rocker application so I took a sample of that to paint store and had a two part product custom mixed. I have several cans of that left if anyone is interested. Was told the NPD color was custom matched to the inside of some parts off of a very low miles car.
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Both the trim rings for the dog dish hub caps and the backing plates for the sports appearance wheels are flash chromed. They formed and maybe polished them (I don't think they were that smooth from the factory, but could be), then flash chromed them to keep them pretty. Take a trim ring, hit it with some 600 grit, after a while you'll get through the chrome. To restore them, you have to take the chrome off to be able to work the dents and dings. Lotta work. A couple of other pieces seem to be flash chromed as well.
I checked the bent piece, magnet doesn't attract, so I'll go with aluminum.

Carl
'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.