Vintage Mustang Forums banner

69 R code restoration- getting started

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  AZdriver 
#1 ·
I just acquired another project car that promises to be a lot of hours and further brain damage. It was a barn find with 76k miles and in rough condition. The previous owner started the restoration, at a concourse level, and I will finish where he left off. Most of the original parts are there, plus a few date correct parts that he found. They need to be cleaned up and restored.

It will be entirely numbers matching or date correct.

Where do you start? It's a rolling shell, with the undercarriage installed.

I'm told to continue like this:
Dash, dash wiring, and heater box (gauges can wait)
Engine compartment: firewall parts, brake parts,
Install motor and trans
Paint the body
Interior
Glass
Trim

Would the experts have another plan?

#3 ·
My photos did not post when I started the thread. Dunno what happened; probably because I'm posting from an iPad.

I have the Marti and the title from the second owner dated 1978. I'm the 3rd owner.

I'm going to restore it as factory correct, including the dealer options like chin and trunk spoilers.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm in Denver CO. It's been slow going getting it ready for paint. I'm having a hard time getting the doors to be flush at the front edge. The back edge and gaps look tight. The very bottom, at the front of the door, is pushed out about 3/8" from the rocker. Any ideas? The hinge will not let the door go further in.

What is the last 4 of your vin?

#9 ·
Colorado huh? So your car actually made it there then. Mine appears to have never left California. Found it under a pile leaves in a North Highlands apartment complex 20 years ago (Sacramento area). Last four are 2640.

What kind of shape are your door hinges in? They may need to be rebuilt. Or there are some shims between them and the "A" pillar that is causing them to move outward. You can also work on moving the rear edge of the fenders out also to help line things up.

Bruce

#18 ·
Paint and ect look nice!

#20 ·
Your R Code looks real nice! On the hinges, was the corner grinding all you did? No slotting of the holes?

Reactions: AZdriver
#22 ·
Rpm
No slotting. Ground off the corner and side, plus beveled the back side. The door pulled in nice and tight after that. Gaps look awesome too.

Trying to remember how the steering column goes back together. It's been a long time since I pulled it apart for painting and rebuild...

Media blasted a bunch of parts. Time to add color.

#23 ·
Great to see another San Jose built R code. Can you tell me is the 1/4 extensions are fiberglass or metal?? Mine are glass and I have always assumed all San Jose built fastbacks were. Looks like you are making great progress...Keep it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.