5.0L distributor in a flat tappet 302 - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

5.0L distributor in a flat tappet 302

Can you use a 5.0L distributor in a flat tappet 289/302? I build a 331 stroker with my 68 289 and will like to use it on a foxbody, along with all the efi components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Just some guy

Garage
Yes. but the drive gear needs to match the cam. Steel (roller) cam, stock 5.0 HO steel distributor gear. Old style flat tappet cam, you need to use the matching cast distributor gear. I've run into some inside diameter size issues but I didn't have the parts ID'd well enough to say this was that. I got a gear that was too loose on a shaft for some reason. I suspect under pretty unusual parts swapping circumstances but watch for that anyway.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Yes. but the drive gear needs to match the cam. Steel (roller) cam, stock 5.0 HO steel distributor gear. Old style flat tappet cam, you need to use the matching cast distributor gear. I've run into some inside diameter size issues but I didn't have the parts ID'd well enough to say this was that. I got a gear that was too loose on a shaft for some reason. I suspect under pretty unusual parts swapping circumstances but watch for that anyway.
thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 AM

I recently put a GT40P in my 66. I did a bit of reading on distributor gears. It's a bit confusing. If it's a Ford factory distributor from a roller cam motor, no. The factory cam is 5150 billet steel. You must use either a steel gear or Melonized gear with it. Ford uses a steel gear and not a Melonized gear. You can however use a Melonized gear on a cast iron flat tappet cam. I read an article where it was stating that most, maybe all aftermarket distributor companies use Melonized gears as the default material as it will work on anything with the exception of mechanical roller cams since they are 8620. Melonize is a hardening process. Aftermarket hydraulic roller cams are for the most part "SADI" core cams which are ductile iron and just the lobes are hardened. You can use a flat tappet distributor gear besides the steel or Melonized gears.

The gear must be a slight press fit. It can not be loose and as gypsyr said there's 2 different sizes. The flat tappet distributor is something like .467" and the other is something like .563" I think. Do a search on my started thread stats and look for my GT40P post. I cover how to swap gears.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I recently put a GT40P in my 66. I did a bit of reading on distributor gears. It's a bit confusing. If it's a Ford factory distributor from a roller cam motor, no. The factory cam is 5150 billet steel. You must use either a steel gear or Melonized gear with it. Ford uses a steel gear and not a Melonized gear. You can however use a Melonized gear on a cast iron flat tappet cam. I read an article where it was stating that most, maybe all aftermarket distributor companies use Melonized gears as the default material as it will work on anything with the exception of mechanical roller cams since they are 8620. Melonize is a hardening process. Aftermarket hydraulic roller cams are for the most part "SADI" core cams which are ductile iron and just the lobes are hardened. You can use a flat tappet distributor gear besides the steel or Melonized gears.

The gear must be a slight press fit. It can not be loose and as gypsyr said there's 2 different sizes. The flat tappet distributor is something like .467" and the other is something like .563" I think. Do a search on my started thread stats and look for my GT40P post. I cover how to swap gears.
Thanks, is there a difrence in length of the distributors? I will prob switch to a msd and ask then to install the cast iron or correct gear. Also anyone know if the firing order is going to be an issue?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakekiller View Post
Thanks, is there a difrence in length of the distributors? I will prob switch to a msd and ask then to install the cast iron or correct gear. Also anyone know if the firing order is going to be an issue?
I can't honestly answer that question about length. I do seem to recall something about it but that's about all I know, heard something. Actually I believe was a MSD article I read where they said Melonized gears are the default gear that's used. I'd call them just to be sure. My guess is that they come with a Melonized gear and you'd be fine to run it on either a hydraulic roller or flat tappet cam. No need to request a specific gear unless you plan on running a mechanical roller cam which uses a harder 8620 steel. You would need either a composite or brass gear.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 PM

The ends of the shafts might be a bit different the EFI as I recall are a bit longer and something different about shaft OD s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page