Which year is the best year - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 66kcar

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Which year is the best year

to throw a 460 in? My buddy and I did one back around 1990, with a 1985 302 Mustang in college.

Well, now his son is tired of hearing about the fun involved and wants to do one up. Since we were poor college kids at the time and only had the early years to choose from - is there something better available? I do remember starting with a 302 car (grenade motor and rear-end) and that made it fairly easy.

Nothing fancy, just a fun car for his son (and us) to play with.
palacekeeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:56 PM

The 429/460 is a bolt-in for the '67-'73 cars. The 429CJ was an option in '71.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:46 PM

There is little difference in any of the fox bodies as far as the engine compartment and fit for a 460. I have done an 80 Capri and am currently doing an 87 GT. Hood clearance is an issue with all of them but you can space down the K member and gain some clearance. D&D makes some shorty and mid length headers that solve the ground clearance with the more common Hookers. Tubular K member helps some but it can be done with the factory K member too.

Wiring is less complicated with early carbed foxes but it's really not that big of a deal.

Starting with a later 5.0 car will get you an 8.8 rear that will handle the big block with some upgrades.

Pick the one you like the most (four eyes, late model aero, coupe, hatch, convert) and go for it!

However the foxes are flimsy in the unibody department, so I would plan on at a minimum sub frame connectors.

Last edited by angrywombat; 03-31-2017 at 09:48 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

We left the '85 stock on the rear (after replacing the blown up axle), the motor was mostly stock.

This effort would also run a mostly stock motor - not building a race car - just a fun play toy.

Good to hear the engine compartment didn't change much.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 PM

The only changes in the engine compartment was the insane amount of holes in it! Foxes have the most "holey" engine compartments I have ever seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page