Tips and Tricks from an old foxbody owner... - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By GypsyR

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Tips and Tricks from an old foxbody owner...

In case you didn't know it...

On an '86 - (3.8l in this example) the front of the dizzy housing has an advance 'lever' held in place with a small screw. Adding shims under the lever pulls it out - advancing timing. I filled with premium and kept adding shims until it lightly knocked and then pulled the last one back out. Shims are small.

On my car alarm remote were two extra buttons - I added a standard door lock actuator to the rod and the door will unlock and pull itself open I then shaved the door handles...

I am sure there are more people that could contribute to this list...

Daisy is a 1967 Coupe
Painted Frost Turquoise
Styled Steel Wheels
White Vinyl Roof
Deluxe Interior
WsW Tires

(And that big ol' 390 Engine )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM

The fuel pump relay for most fos bodies is right under the driver's seat. It's the cheapest way to disable your car if you ever park somewhere and you're concerned.

The bumper brace for a 1980 Capri (I think) is made from aluminum and can shave a few pounds from the front end of your car.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

^ I planned to use the cig lighter as a 'kill switch' in series with that fuel pump relay power line...

When parked in a shady area you would just pull the cig lighter 'out' (breaks contact) and the car is disabled. Push back in and it restores continuous contact

Daisy is a 1967 Coupe
Painted Frost Turquoise
Styled Steel Wheels
White Vinyl Roof
Deluxe Interior
WsW Tires

(And that big ol' 390 Engine )

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Just some guy

Garage
Considering my luck with lighters and plugging thing into them over the years, I think I'd do that backwards. Hate to go down the road with the car sputtering and dying because the lighter was being iffy.
My policy on all anti-theft deals is that none of them will stop me from driving my own car if there is a failure of some kind.
Huntingky likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:03 PM
Just some guy

Garage
If you care to go electric fan on a Fox, the dual fan setup from a later 1990's Trans Am is a pretty good fit. Camaros too but it has to be a V8 car to have duals. If you turn on both fans with the car off, it slightly vibrates the whole car. They move an impressive amount of air. I ended up using just one and had the second wired to come on with the AC only and a manual switch in case I ever needed it. They're actually overkill for a 5.0 Fox and put any aftermarket fans to shame. Nice for a big block swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page