Today's word is INCOMPETENT. - Page 11 - Vintage Mustang Forums

255Likes

post #151 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
Bend your head,....
I do have trouble with spatial awareness. Things look crooked sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
FYI They can use expanding anchors or epoxied rebar to tie in the foundation in most jurisdictions in the normal parts of this country. So they can probably cut the foundation into compliance height wise with the goofy band saw looking tool and use expanding anchors or epoxied rebar to tie it to the row of block above grade specified in the contract. They can also use a conventional concrete saw using vertical cuts and a sledge hammer to achieve the same result. The cold pour on part of the foundation may, or may not, be up to you to prove is salvageable using core samples since you are the general contractor. Otherwise, the cold pour section only, can be removed and re-poured by drilling and and tying in rebar every foot or so. The law is the law and code is the code. Anything that can be brought into compliance is compliant. It don't have to look pretty! Not trying to be a jerk, thats the reality of the situation from 3+ decades of first hand experience.

I can't emphasize enough, despite the banter on this site, if it's legal, it's legal. I don't see your current foundation being removed completely but brought into compliance.

I think you should focus your attention on getting what you have compliant and moving on. Not getting even with the evil ba$tards!

Good luck!
I think you are correct. Some of the problems with this footing could be repaired, and brought into compliance with code. Not likely to happen in 12 days, with one person on the job site, who works from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. every day.
I do believe the second pour will be what fails code. That is the death nail. In this climate water WILL get between the 2 pours, and the freeze thaw cycle WILL destroy this foundation in no time.
I also do not believe they are going to spend the money it will take to bring the footing into compliance with the building code.
If they did not have the knowledge, or ability to make a footing correct in the first place. Then I seriously doubt they can repair the problems.
Another thing.
I really doubt these folk's will be around in a few weeks. They keep asking me for more money, or threatening to walk off the job after the foundation passes inspection.
Would YOU build on this foundation?
If they do pass the inspection. They still have a pad, and driveway area to pour. They are way over budget and refuse to do the RIGHT THING, that is FINISH the job correctly, completely, and at the price they originally quoted.
We should start a poll. Who thinks they will pass the inspection, and who thinks they will not pass the inspection.
Pass/Not Pass.
Israel likes this.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #153 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Again for reference.

This notice is to advise you that the above building has been inspected by the Building Inspector of the City of Blah Blah and was rejected for the following reasons.
1.) MRC - R 403 Footing to be installed on undisturbed soil or engineered fill.

They have to prove they used the correct engineered fill, and installed it correctly. Prior to pouring the concrete, because they dug down deeper to get the muck out.

2.) Provide Engineer report to correct pour or remove and repour.
Provide a Engineer's report on how to correct the pour OR REMOVE the footings and REPOUR. I think that is pretty CLEAR to me. Obviously not to them.
The specific problems to be addressed.
A. 2 different pours ...........................Not likely repairable, without extreme cost and a lot of time.
B. Footing above finish floor.................Ok. They can grind down all the high points. About 90% of the structure is high.
C. Anchors missing.............................Ok. They can epoxy rebar in where it is needed.
D. Provide inspector batch tickets..........They have those. They better hope the cement is good.

That is just how I see it.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"

post #154 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
I do believe the second pour will be what fails code.
I also do not believe they are going to spend the money it will take to bring the footing into compliance with the building code.

Another thing.
I really doubt these folk's will be around in a few weeks. They keep asking me for more money, or threatening to walk off the job after the foundation passes inspection.
If they do pass the inspection. They still have a pad, and driveway area to pour. They are way over budget and refuse to do the RIGHT THING, that is FINISH the job correctly, completely, and at the price they originally quoted.
We should start a poll. Who thinks they will pass the inspection, and who thinks they will not pass the inspection.
Pass/Not Pass.
So if they walk off the job, because their work didn't pass inspection and they want more money.. would they be in breach of the contract?
post #155 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 10:56 AM

Do you have specifications and/or that they quoted and you signed or just slab X by X and who pulled the permit? i.e. did they know they needed to meet a code etc. ? It may be money well spent to get a lawyer who's familiar with building construction, codes etc. I hate lawyers, suing etc.

A decent lawyer actually examining your situation may be well over $1000 for openers! Maybe several 1000.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #156 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 AM

The 2 pours don't bother me as much as pouring over disturbed soil, especially in clay. If they removed the soil and replaced it with crushed stone no problem. If they replaced it with sand and compacted it before the pour also no problem.

I was afraid something like this was going to happen when you hired guys that had time to do the job when everybody else was booked solid for months. I expressed my concerns at the time. If you can't make what you have somehow work I'm afraid your going to have a swamp for a backyard for a very long time and the only happy people in the end will be the lawyers.

I've been in a similar situation involving much larger amounts of money. I learned the hard way not to trust anybody.
65Les and Israel like this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
post #157 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
I think you are correct. Some of the problems with this footing could be repaired, and brought into compliance with code. Not likely to happen in 12 days, with one person on the job site, who works from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. every day.
I do believe the second pour will be what fails code. That is the death nail. In this climate water WILL get between the 2 pours, and the freeze thaw cycle WILL destroy this foundation in no time.
If they did not have the knowledge, or ability to make a footing correct in the first place. Then I seriously doubt they can repair the problems.
Another thing.
Pass/Not Pass.
With a competent inspector it will not pass.
post #158 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnjockey View Post
So if they walk off the job, because their work didn't pass inspection and they want more money.. would they be in breach of the contract?
Yes.
Lawnjockey likes this.
post #159 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Update.
Yesterday 10/22/16 was a nice bright sunny day. No one showed up on the site to work.
I have a list of structural engineer's to call on Monday morning. I am not waiting for these folks to do anything. I am going to hire a structural engineer to come out and inspect the footings, and ground. It only takes a few days to get a report then I will KNOW for a fact what the next step will be. I will either have a method to repair it to compliance, or a recommendation for a TOTAL TEAR OUT.
I will have the report for the building inspector. I will also have the report for my lawyer. It will cost me a few bucks, but I will get the money back eventually.
I just have to keep moving forward.
Thanks for all the support, help, and suggestions.
PLEASE. Keep it coming. I am listening, I am considering all options.
Lawnjockey and TheMaineEvent like this.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
post #160 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:10 AM

That's a great plan...even if you don't get the money for the report back (which I doubt you will), at least you won't let someone build the garage on bad footings. It's well worth the investment you're making.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #161 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
When is the inspection to happen?
post #162 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxhead View Post
When is the inspection to happen?
I have to make all necessary corrections and schedule an inspection within 15 days from Oct 18th. So that is November 2nd at the latest.

Last edited by 1969sag; 10-23-2016 at 09:17 PM.
post #163 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I just set up an appointment with a structural engineer for this Thursday.
I will update everyone later tonight, and have some photo's from today adventures in footings.

Joe in Detroit

I was flyin'"
post #164 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 04:38 PM

I have to admit, I have never seen anything like this before. I feel for ya man. Like someone already said, OSB for form work...WTF
post #165 of 505 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 05:01 PM

According to my brother who's an architect and also worked as a contractor, OSB can be used for forms as long as it's properly braced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page