3d printing - Vintage Mustang Forums

12Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

3d printing

My wife just offered to pull the trigger on a 3d printer for me for Christmas this year. Pretty sure I'm going to go with a dual-extruder Makerbot Replicator 2x clone.
I've done some CAD work before, but this is my first foray into this. Anyone here do any 3d printing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 PM

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 09:33 PM

My ex-neighbor had one. Not sure of the brand. It wasn't all that, but this is what I'm used too at work. So it really isn't a fair comparison.

Connex3 ? Rapid Tooling and Prototyping in Multiple Materials | Stratasys

What do you plan on doing with it? There are several user forums out there now with mods you can make to increase performance and fidelity. From over twenty-five years experience now, it's like everything else, garbage in, garbage out. You need a 3D modeling tool that's allows you export a high fidelity STL file by fine tuning the chord heights, angle tolerances.

Regards,
Patrick

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:28 PM

It's been almost 20 years since I worked with one of these. Used it for models of proposed production part. Materials were very limited. Can you make usable parts now?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 10:49 PM

Useable...not as a final part, at least from my experience. However, you can get really high fidelity, which is good for decreasing touch labor to create a silicon tool from which you can then mold useable and very durable parts.

Regards,
Patrick
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

There's a pretty fair range of printable materials now, beyond ABS and PLA. There's PETG and nylons, polycarbonates, acetyls, water-soluble PVA for extruding support matrices, etc., carbon fiber, not-bad looking wood/PLA composites, even clean-melt waxes suitable for lost-wax casting, I have some experience working with ABS, which I imagine will end up being the bulk of the work I do, although I've ordered a reel of wood/PLA just for fun. Things have definitely improved since the last time I looked in to this 5-6 years ago.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:22 AM

Yes, I have for several projects as well.

scaled: fuselage, rear wings, gears, chains, and a steering wheel. Solidworks is the program I used, but it doesn't matter too much as long as their are no errors/gaps/interference in your build

'68 HardTop
302, Flat Pistons, 170 Trick Flow (P&P)
Trick Flow Lifters, Scorpion Roller Rockers
Hooker,T5, Al Flywheel, Al Drive Shaft, 9 rear
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
It's been almost 20 years since I worked with one of these. Used it for models of proposed production part. Materials were very limited. Can you make usable parts now?
yeah but not for consumers

'68 HardTop
302, Flat Pistons, 170 Trick Flow (P&P)
Trick Flow Lifters, Scorpion Roller Rockers
Hooker,T5, Al Flywheel, Al Drive Shaft, 9 rear
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:47 PM

Garage
Jeff Dunham uses a 3D printer to make his dummies. Pretty cool, but the size is limited.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:14 PM

I have one. I bought a generic Prusa style from Geeetech (China). I've upgraded the slide rods and bearings from McMaster Carr as well as the Z-axis screw.

I've also upgraded the heated bed to 24 V so it heats up in about 10 minutes for ABS. Also, you have to get used to Metric units if you're not already.

I've made lots of parts for various things with it but the only item I've actually made of the Mustang is an extension housing plug for my C4.

datac and schweigert like this.

------------------------------------------------------------

'68 convertible restoration "almost done". See Ol' Rusty's progress at 68Vert.BlogSpot.Com

MCA #72655
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datac View Post
My wife just offered to pull the trigger on a 3d printer for me for Christmas this year. Pretty sure I'm going to go with a dual-extruder Makerbot Replicator 2x clone.
I've done some CAD work before, but this is my first foray into this. Anyone here do any 3d printing?
Hey, did you ever get that 3D printer? Have you had a chance to play with it yet?

'68 convertible restoration "almost done". See Ol' Rusty's progress at 68Vert.BlogSpot.Com

MCA #72655
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Oh, yeah. Ended up with the Qidi clone of the Flashforge clone of the Makerbot dual extruder. Built like a tank, solid tech support, and it's been running pretty much nonstop since Christmas day. I've already burned up almost a kilo of Hatchbox wood composite, which is by far my favorite filament.

Here's some of my projects...

First project, wood space sloth for my daughter. The base is just a bit bigger than a quarter.

Wood venus box, just off the printer, before sanding and staining. This stuff finishes just like wood.

Same venus box finished, next to a jumbo twin just off the printer.

Two sides of the same lithophane printed in white PLA, gratuitous pics of my daughter. These are pretty slick.

...and a bunch of other stuff laying around here. I can't remember when I've had this much fun.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 AM

Wow! Looks like you've got it dialed in. What size layers are you using? I've only printed with Hatchbox and eSun PLA and ABS (white) but that wood filament looks amazing.

MCA #72655
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Still printing at 0.2, I'll try some 0.1 at some point. I've been printing in both PLA and ABS and both look good, but I seem to have better luck with fine detail in the PLA. The printer shipped with mfgr-branded kilo spools of ABS and PLA, and I bought three spools of Hatchbox- black ABS, silver PLA, and wood. I can't say enough good things about the wood, it's forgiving, and frankly prints better detail than the straight PLA. It does tend to string more than a bit, but I was able to knock down the bulk of that, and what's left is easy enough to deal with. I just shot some urethane over the jumbo venus box after hitting it with a nice dark cherry stain, and it's gorgeous. It absolutely looks and feels like wood inside and out, right down to the grain.

I expected a much steeper learning curve to this, but it's really pretty simple stuff. I did make a big spreadsheet where I track all of my setup variables and record the outcomes, which definitely helps.
aolshove likes this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the update. Sounds great.

MCA #72655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page