Way behind the curve! - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:08 PM

Location: I bounce between The Texas Hill Country & far North Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessayan View Post
Why not take advantage of what technology has to offer ? I don't get the resistance when we accept all the other changes such as heat , running water, electricity and so on!

I for one live on the forward edge over paying and staying current. I LOVE IT!
Spot on. I guess folks choose to leave it to their kids?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 11:43 PM

Why does it bother some folks if others think on their own?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessayan View Post
Why not take advantage of what technology has to offer ? I don't get the resistance when we accept all the other changes such as heat , running water, electricity and so on!

I for one live on the forward edge over paying and staying current. I LOVE IT!

Because while other people have their fancy gizmos and gadgets and new iPhones every year and 700 cable channels, I have over 50% of my house paid off after just five years (we're only 35) and no other debt.

So it's all about what's important to you. I catch up to technology every 10 years it seems, and then use what I have until it's no longer usable. My MacBook Air is now almost 6 years old, I'm still running an iPhone 5 (which was my first smart phone), my 42" plasma tv is from 2007 or 08, and the Sony surround system I use is even older than that, and I still run an Xbox 360!

But why replace this stuff? It all still works pretty well!

Sure, I wouldn't mind having more space on my phone, or a tv with higher resolution or a computer that runs a little faster, but we've become such a disposable society that's constantly unsatisfied with what we have, I for one am just grateful for everything I have while so many people in the world have nothing. I have 3 sisters from Haiti and two sisters from India and I know what they came from. They're a constant reminder to me that I have it great.

And I'll tell you the other side of it too. Sometimes the technology upgrades aren't what I want! Like those tvs that came out that were super high def and it made the picture look like a soap opera? You guys know what I'm talking about? I can't watch those things? It ruins everything for me, makes battle scenes look less big and bad and everything looks less dramatic. It completely removes the cinematography the movie makers employed for effect. And then I'm constantly being asked to update my phone software which inevitably always make it seem to run worse, use more battery, have less storage space, etc.

At my company we spend over a million dollars every day on scientific R&D, that's where I stay current on the latest and greatest technology. One of the machines I use is about the size of a lunchbox and it cost $90k. It's just not my money

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
dobrostang and sessayan like this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Just some guy

Garage
I kind of hang around the trailing edge of new tech. I like things to settle out a bit before I plunk down a bunch of cash on stuff. I'm old enough to remember Sony's Betamax. Perfectly good tech by one of the biggest names that fell by the wayside and everyone who bought into it was screwed.
So, Christmas was an Xbox One S. Yay, I can go all 4K now. But...I'd want a TV with HDMI 2.0 that can do 10 bit HDR. I'd like to avoid beign stuck with Samsung's "Tizen" even though their TV's have such nice screens. So I'm looking at few offerings in the $800 plus range to replace our main 47 inch TV. But I like our old Vizio. One of Vizio's first smart TV's there is no longer a native Hulu app for it as it is outdated and apparently no one cares but me. But it's a perfectly good TV. Which is probably worth next to nothing. Just can't bring myself to toss it. I guess I'll wait until it breaks or the TV's that meet my spec's creep into the $500 range.
I considered upgrading my PC monitor and running the 4K stuff to that. Since SWMBO doesn't know or care anything about 4K. But again, I really like my dated but perfectly good monitor. One that would be a nice upgrade touches the $400 range. To replace a plenty large monitor I scored on Black Friday some years ago for a paltry $100 that still works as new. Nope, not doing that either. So no 4K for me for a while I guess. Sure like those razor sharp pictures though.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 PM

So I get not wanting to get burned but on the other hand, You get to experience technology that some may not like the Betamax. How many can say they owned one ? You can and you spent the money cause you had it. Standards shakeouts can suck when you end up on the wrong side of them. Most of the time, the better technology wins but not in that case

So many devices have come and gone in our life time. I am jealous of the folks who will take over from here as they will experience an even faster pace of change The next generation of VR is going to be unreal as the first round stuff blows my mind You can relate this to cars as well. Think how hard we have to work to get 400HP(including everything around it to support it) and the factory delivers 700HP cars and that number will continue to grow!! Just think about the next round of the Hellcat or when Ford decides to chase them with a Mustang.

I am in the Technology field so I have a natural interest in new stuff. Its how I earn my living and if i do not constantly change with the times, I die. Some think surviving is not changing. I am faced with the opposite.

To each their own, no judgement on my part to those that choose to not buy in but i wish more would so living on the edge didn't have to cost so much and just think about how quickly things move when you get mass buy in!! Prices drop and it forces the next round to be even more advanced!

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM

Sessayan you are absolutely correct. In most cases technology advancement requires buy in. I choose to be one of the
ones who only buy it if I for some reason feel a need for it.

Beta vs VHS video camera. I didn't feel a need for the smaller Sony so we used our clumsy bigger one while Beta died.

Laser disc video. I passed.

Sony Trinitron...better picture...passed

Early MP3's ...passed

CD changers...passed.

Smart phones... pass

There is some significant technology especially in the medical field that was/is advanced by work of 100s of engineers and phds at the cost of billions. It never gets cheap because isn't mass produced.

Archeology and astronomy are worthwhile but not mass produced. I spent my engineering career on advancing technology on stuff not consumer products.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:21 PM

I mean, if there's a camera in your TV and you don't like it... put a piece of tape over it. That's what I do with my laptop out of plain unwarranted paranoia

My roommate and I have solved the problem entirely by buying a projector. Never have to worry about having a bigger or better screen. We just made it the size of the biggest wall in our living room Plug in whatever video game console, add some movie apps like Netflix and Amazon Video, and it's good to go. If we need something else, plug in the laptop and the entire internet is at our disposal.

As far as phones go though, I am definitely behind the curve. And I like it that way. I don't like relying on my phone every day, all the time, and using it as a crutch. I also HATE the huge screens on today's phones. So I have a Droid Mini, which is outdated by 3 years and occasionally pretty annoying to use, but at least it has the screen size I want so it fits in my pocket. I am definitely jealous of modern cameras in today's smartphones though. They are truly exceptional.

I tend to buy really good gaming laptops on sale once every five years or so. So for the first two years they are awesome, the next two years the specs become 'middle range', and the last year or two they are considered 'lower range' again. Repeat process. No need to have the newest latest greatest every year, nor do I have the money for it anyways.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://calamityjaneroadtrip.blogspot.com/
2014: 10,051 mile, 2-month-long road trip around America
2015: 3,000 mile trip to Knotts in CA, CO to East Coast, an engine rebuild or two
2016: East Coast to TX, Hot August Nights, more trips to the East Coast
2017: Several long trips in the works! Stay tuned
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Sessayan you are absolutely correct. In most cases technology advancement requires buy in. I choose to be one of the
ones who only buy it if I for some reason feel a need for it.

Beta vs VHS video camera. I didn't feel a need for the smaller Sony so we used our clumsy bigger one while Beta died.

Laser disc video. I passed.

Sony Trinitron...better picture...passed

Early MP3's ...passed

CD changers...passed.

Smart phones... pass

There is some significant technology especially in the medical field that was/is advanced by work of 100s of engineers and phds at the cost of billions. It never gets cheap because isn't mass produced.

Archeology and astronomy are worthwhile but not mass produced. I spent my engineering career on advancing technology on stuff not consumer products.

What kind of stuff ? I always love hearing the inside stories of companies and experiences. Best way to learn is from others IMO.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 PM

I have an 18 year old tube JCV 27 inch TV in the living room, and a 15 year old 32 inch flat screen tube JVC TV in the basement. We have basic cable. Still works great. No one will ever steel them because they are way too heavy. LOL.
My wife, and I are perfectly happy with the TV's. We both think we watch too much TV anyway.
The rest of my family thinks we are crazy.
I just don't need more, bigger, better, or faster. Unless it is going into my classic cars.
My brother gave us his 5 year old 32" new Vizio. We put that in the guest room, it rarely gets turned on.
I am sure the new technology is great. If I won the lottery, sure, I would own the latest, and greatest technology.
For now, it is good enough for me.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Why is the term resist used? I have never felt a need for caviar. Never ordered it, never tried it. Guess I should have people wondering why I resist caviar.

If I was a billionaire guess I'm just weird (many here agree) I feel no need, no desire to have the latest of many things.
In many cases it has nothing to do with money. Have no inclination toward video/computer games. Love pinball and the hands on arcade games. A video pinball, bowling, basketball, golf blah.

EFI is very, very, very, very (did I say very?) worthwhile.

Like 1969sag said. TV is a good example. Our boys just can't understand why we just don't care if a TV isn't higher definition than the previous one. Our old 27" Sharp CRT has a fantastic picture. Our 33" in the family room is flatpanel because it's a new TV (5 years ago), that's all that's available now!

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 PM

Garage
I can't justify buying the latest and greatest toys just cuz they're the latest and greatest. My flatscreen is pushing 6, and it plays Blu-rays very nicely, so while the UHD and 4K things intrigue me and a tech geek, I just can't run out and buy one. Hell, I'm still using my old slider phone that is probably 5 years old or so, but that's getting replaced soon just because almost everything is now an app (including frequent flyer cards for restaurants), so the tech is forcing me to go to a smart phone. I'll still use it the same, I don't check email on my phone, I don't do FaceBook, and I take pictures with my camera. I swear that every phone commercial is advertising something OTHER than a phone, because they feature photos or vids or something other than using it to actually CALL someone, which is it's purpose. The biggest change with a smart phone is I won't have to use my computer to check links in tweets that I get from bands announcing tour dates, or linking to contests to win tickets, that I'll be able to do with the phone. And since stores/restaurants are using apps now, I can clean out all the loyalty cards out of my wallet.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I swear that every phone commercial is advertising something OTHER than a phone, because they feature photos or vids or something other than using it to actually CALL someone, which is it's purpose.
As someone who actual made the chips in "phones" including the IPhone series, while it can be used as a phone, and gets a lot of time as a phone, it is really a portable networked computer system that has, as one of it's features, a phone system. That is why, among you 200 icons on, say, an IPhone 6, there is 1 for a telephone, and it is no larger or more important, that other.

Data speeds, memory, and the data "allowance" per month for many people is far more important that how many minutes are in their plan.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
I can't justify buying the latest and greatest toys just cuz they're the latest and greatest. My flatscreen is pushing 6, and it plays Blu-rays very nicely, so while the UHD and 4K things intrigue me and a tech geek, I just can't run out and buy one. Hell, I'm still using my old slider phone that is probably 5 years old or so, but that's getting replaced soon just because almost everything is now an app (including frequent flyer cards for restaurants), so the tech is forcing me to go to a smart phone. I'll still use it the same, I don't check email on my phone, I don't do FaceBook, and I take pictures with my camera. I swear that every phone commercial is advertising something OTHER than a phone, because they feature photos or vids or something other than using it to actually CALL someone, which is it's purpose. The biggest change with a smart phone is I won't have to use my computer to check links in tweets that I get from bands announcing tour dates, or linking to contests to win tickets, that I'll be able to do with the phone. And since stores/restaurants are using apps now, I can clean out all the loyalty cards out of my wallet.

That's because smart phones are no longer just phones. Like Bob said, they're a small computer that allows you to make calls.

My iPhone is probably only used 5% of the time as a phone. Beyond that, it's used to maintain my work Schedule, check the weather, do banking, play music, take pics and video, chronicle my restorations, work and personal email, and make notes for shopping lists. My checks are deposited from my phone, my airline boarding pass is scanned from my phone, my lumber yard ticket is scanned from my phone, my life must have been so inconvenient before I had a smart phone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangerbob1 View Post
As someone who actual made the chips in "phones" including the IPhone series, while it can be used as a phone, and gets a lot of time as a phone, it is really a portable networked computer system that has, as one of it's features, a phone system. That is why, among you 200 icons on, say, an IPhone 6, there is 1 for a telephone, and it is no larger or more important, that other.

Data speeds, memory, and the data "allowance" per month for many people is far more important that how many minutes are in their plan.
Then a new descriptor is needed, cuz to me, it's a phone, and phones are used to make calls and send text messages, not to do all that other nonsense. Now git off ma yard and leave me alone you rotten kids.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Garage
I went on this same odyssey last year, ditching our old, trusty 42" Vizio for a new 55" Sharp, and the difference was striking. It's just... beautiful. I really love watching movies at home, and the prices have gotten so affordable, it was a worthwhile investment. Greatly increased the enjoyment factor. $600-800 every 8 to 10 years on something we use almost daily, it was a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Our old 27" Sharp CRT has a fantastic picture.
No, it REALLY doesn't. Not trying to be argumentative, but the tech has gotten to a point where that just objectively is not the case, at least relative to what is on the market today.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page