Way behind the curve! - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I went on this same odyssey last year, ditching our old, trusty 42" Vizio for a new 55" Sharp, and the difference was striking. It's just... beautiful. I really love watching movies at home, and the prices have gotten so affordable, it was a worthwhile investment. Greatly increased the enjoyment factor. $600-800 every 8 to 10 years on something we use almost daily, it was a no-brainer.

No, it REALLY doesn't. Not trying to be argumentative, but the tech has gotten to a point where that just objectively is not the case, at least relative to what is on the market today.

Dear Blake and others. You say you love to watch movies at home, yup we do too. Ever watch Gone With the Wind? There's a scene where Brett says "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn".

Color monitors are used in medical scanning/diagnosis. What looks good enough to me may not be for the medical technicians and surgeons. We appreciate the resolution and all on our desk top monitor(s).

When our 15 year old CRT or 10 year old flat panel quits giving it's great picture we will be amazed at how low priced (not cheap...cheap means crummy) the technology has become due in large part because of mass production no thanks to us!
We won't be looking to get the latest. We will prefer a top shelf brand still available in 2 or 3 year old (say obsolete) model. Hell, it'll be obsolete at least 90% of the time we use it!

Gawd doesn't our ignorance just rankle you!

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 01-04-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Gawd doesn't our ignorance just rankle you!
Hahah, no it doesn't. Just hoping to show you the light. Some day those old TV's will give up the ghost, and you'll go get a new one and then kick yourself for putting up with that old junk for so long.

I'm far from an early adopter myself, but I did wonder why the heck I waited so long after getting this new one.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Garage
I've got 2 old 27" TVs in the basement, one is the TV that the HD replaced upstairs. It's in the ManCave and for what I need it to do, it works fine. I have no idea how old it is, but probably pushing 15 years or more. The other one I bought for $40 for the work-out area 5 or so years ago, and it's doing its job just fine. Those probably won't get replaced until they quit working. I've got a 24' Vizio flat screen in the bedroom, and the screen started going bad after about a year, and now the picture only works when it wants to. The wife said it was ok for the bedroom, but I'll never buy another Vizio. It's getting replaced with something in the near future but I'm not sure what right now. There's a bunch of factors in that decision and none of them have anything to do with TV choice.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM

OK i am going to make some of you crazy but my upgrade for Cyber Monday was replacing a 63 Inch high-end Samsung with a nice new 70 Inch 4K Sony. Its super nice with the embedded Android OS allowing Netflex as well as all the other services like Hulu, Amazon and so on to run natively with a click on the remote control. Normally you have to go through a menu system or use a device for the older stuff such as a play-station or Xbox. I have not figured out where to put the 63 inch yet because I have an 80 outside, a 75 in the loft, a 58 in one bedroom, a 50 in another bedroom and a 40 in another bedroom.

And for those who care, Samsung was the leader of the pack on the flat-screen but Sony is back so if your considering an upgrade, consider Sony. They use to make the best TV long ago and lost their way but its good to see them back.
Grabber70Mach likes this.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessayan View Post
OK i am going to make some of you crazy but my upgrade for Cyber Monday was replacing a 63 Inch high-end Samsung with a nice new 70 Inch 4K Sony. Its super nice with the embedded Android OS allowing Netflex as well as all the other services like Hulu, Amazon and so on to run natively with a click on the remote control. Normally you have to go through a menu system or use a device for the older stuff such as a play-station or Xbox. I have not figured out where to put the 63 inch yet because I have an 80 outside, a 75 in the loft, a 58 in one bedroom, a 50 in another bedroom and a 40 in another bedroom.

And for those who care, Samsung was the leader of the pack on the flat-screen but Sony is back so if your considering an upgrade, consider Sony. They use to make the best TV long ago and lost their way but its good to see them back.
I know a guy in Wisconsin who could use it.
gwstang and Lizer like this.

1970 Mach 1 M code

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
Hahah, no it doesn't. Just hoping to show you the light. Some day those old TV's will give up the ghost, and you'll go get a new one and then kick yourself for putting up with that old junk for so long.

I'm far from an early adopter myself, but I did wonder why the heck I waited so long after getting this new one.

On the contrary Blake I'm constantly amazed with the great pic on our 15 yr 27" Sharp CRT. Prior to TV stations converting to transmitting HD tv word was (on the net so had to be true) a conventional TV's would be noticeably degraded with the HD signal.
The old style TV was designed to have cross blurring between adjacent lines to obscure the lack of sharpness with each pixel.
Lacking this the inherent problem would be clearly seen when the old TV was fed to new HD signal. Sorry folks. Didn't happen.
The pic on our old Sharp CRT is gorgeous if your more than 3 feet away.

Rather than kicking ourselves we're constantly amazed how hard it is to detect the difference between 5 year and the latest. We have 4 flatscreens and the Sharp CRT. The flatscreens were CRTs replaced as they degraded. Family room, wife's office, my office, exercise room and our bedroom = 5 total. They range in age from 1 to 15 years old.

Overlooked the obvious problem with the old (CRT) TVs, the picture profile ratio. This wasn't an inherent problem but the old CRT would chop off the top and bottom if the pic or left and right. Most flat panel TVs are wide screen.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 01-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:03 PM

I could care less about if slim is fine with his picture and the rest of y'all think it's bad.

What I do care about is the American consumer consistently buying things with money they don't have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
JD08 likes this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:44 PM

Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
I could care less about if slim is fine with his picture and the rest of y'all think it's bad.

What I do care about is the American consumer consistently buying things with money they don't have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Aren't you concerned that I don't see the light?

I'm concerned with people that are concerned about someone that doesn't replace something that they're happy with and doesn't need replacing!
DrHawkeye likes this.

post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:51 PM

Garage
Hah, geez. No need to take this so hard, Slim.Enjoy your crappy old CRT. I really don't care.

I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Overlooked the obvious problem with the old (CRT) TVs, the picture profile ratio. This wasn't an inherent problem but the old CRT would chop off the top and bottom if the pic or left and right. Most flat panel TVs are wide screen.
I'm running DirecTV into my CRT and it's letter-boxed, so I get the whole picture. Which is no different than playing a Blu-ray on the flat-screen, still gets letter-boxed because of the different ratio. Haven't tried an antenna on the old one, guessing I'm not gonna get very good reception from the basement, and I do have a digital converter that I got brand-new but it's never been out of the box.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

"I know an old fart in Wisconsin who could use it"

Fixed it for you...lol

Damn, I resemble that too....argh.
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 PM

I know a family guy here too. They have Time Warner cable with Road Runner, Wi-Fi and digital adapters. No need for antenna.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page