Way behind the curve! - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Way behind the curve!

I picked up a Sony 60" UHD TV today. Good grannies! The picture is so much better than my ancient 42" Vizio. It has Netflix etc Wifi already. I am majorly amazed for sure. It's almost too real. I must admit that the old Vizio has done well for being about 12 or so years old. Never a failure and still works good, just not the same level as the newer stuff. I paid about half of what the old tv was. Technology is advancing at such a rate....I guess the old farts like me will just have to catch up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwstang View Post
I guess the old farts like me will just have to catch up.
Not me- I choose to remain a dinosaur!
zray likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Nother dino here. Our 27" Sharp CRT in our bedroom is over 15 years old, never a hic up. Have added Roku and the Cisco digital adapter. In our family room have a 5 year old high tech 33" flat panel connected to our 10 year old surround sound.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 PM

Why not take advantage of what technology has to offer ? I don't get the resistance when we accept all the other changes such as heat , running water, electricity and so on!

I for one live on the forward edge over paying and staying current. I LOVE IT!

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 PM

Garage
We just got 2 new TV's (we = my wiff and daughters) and they set the damn things up with their smart phones! I'll admit, the picture is definitely better than the old TV's, but the remotes don't have # buttons on them! On one you hit a button, all the choices come up, and you scroll through them to watch what you want to- I'm used to punching in a # and going right to it. You can also freeze live shows, play them back, record them, send them to your phone, all kinds of crazy crap! We even had to upgrade the nice solid oak entertainment center to this glass/metal/cable thing so that it all coordinated..... After I finished it, I went out to my shop, clicked on the old tube TV, grabbed a beer out of my fridge (that has legs on it), and plopped down on my old couch (1997 F150 bench seat on wheels) and relaxed while watching The Rifleman!!
rpm likes this.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 PM

Just think twice before you hook your new TV up to the internet. Best to use a HDMI cable to a box of some kind. You probably won't believe me if you don't already know this so please google it and learn for yourself; the new TVs have cameras built into them so the TV companies can learn from you and your behaviors. They are watching you in your living room and in this era of hacking, who knows whom else is watching. Conspiracy theory?? Dobro's gone 'round the bend Google it...

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 PM

OMG, Its called a firewall! Nobody can just take over your stuff and watch you without your consent(configuration). I hope someone does someday because they will have a big ugly surprise waiting for them as i sit nude in front with a grin that says , You never be able to take what you just saw!
gt350sr likes this.

Steve E.
1965 Wimbledon White Vert.
T5, FiTech EFI, Borgeson Power Steering ,Ididit tilt, Street or track 4 wheel disc, coil overs, 3 link rear, 3G alternator, Custom sound system
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessayan View Post
OMG, Its called a firewall! Nobody can just take over your stuff and watch you without your consent(configuration). I hope someone does someday because they will have a big ugly surprise waiting for them as i sit nude in front with a grin that says , You never be able to take what you just saw!
Remember, nobody is taking over your stuff, it is being used just as it was intended. If you read the long contract most people don't read, it says we can watch you and you can turn it off if you wish if you reach deep in the menus where the hide it but most of the articles I read said use the HDMI if it bugs you.

From NBC: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/yo...oncerns-483619

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

Last edited by dobrostang; 12-30-2016 at 01:34 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:02 PM

I CHOOSE not to pay money to replace what is just fine!

To each his own to determine what he or she results in the need/want for the latest.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 PM

Garage
Still on dial up, eh?
rpm likes this.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Still on dial up, eh?
I feel no compulsion to keep up with the Jones's. Our kids are trying to convince us we need to get a faster PC than our Commadore 60.
Huntingky and gt350sr like this.

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I feel no compulsion to keep up with the Jones's. Our kids are trying to convince us we need to get a faster PC than our Commadore 60.
THIS is why VMF is an old school forum.

As long as it has to be able to accept inputs and post from smoke signals, semaphore, Morse Code and runes, we will NEVER be able to have a 2014 (at least) level type forum.

PLEASE, join us in the 21st century.

posted from my IPHONE7

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 PM

Ooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangerbob1 View Post
THIS is why VMF is an old school forum.

As long as it has to be able to accept inputs and post from smoke signals, semaphore, Morse Code and runes, we will NEVER be able to have a 2014 (at least) level type forum.

PLEASE, join us in the 21st century.

posted from my IPHONE7

Hey Bob, gimme some time. I'm still looking for a kit to upgrade my Sears Silvertone wire recorder to tape!

Posted with my converted Commadore.

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:32 AM

I just added Roku to my TV and signed up for Netflix. It's fantastic - maybe the first step toward ditching cable. Then I finally set up uber on my phone. I sit in age right between the baby boomers and generation x, but I'm not ready to be left behind by the millennials just yet!

1965 fastback - 289-4V, auto, deluxe interior, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning

post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:55 PM

We have a confluence of generations. Many of our brightest are in archeology and astronomy. Investigating where we came from. With Hubble and it's advancements we are able to look back light years.

Ironically the high technology developed by recent generations allows us to see further in the past. That shows the big view of where we are probably headed! I don't feel in competition with our kids. I encourage them to move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page