Surface Pro 4 vs. iPad Pro - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Surface Pro 4 vs. iPad Pro

I'm ready to spring for a tablet I can also use as a laptop, or a laptop I can also use as a tablet - however you want to look at it. I'm interested in feedback from anyone who has either the Surface Pro 4 or the 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I would especially like to hear from anyone who has used both.

1965 fastback - 289-4V, auto, deluxe interior, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM

It all depends on what you want to do with it.
The surface pro 4 is a full computer. It will do everything your current laptop of desktop will do. More storage since it has a hard drive.
the i3 is fanless the i5 has a fan

The Ipad will do whatever your iPhone can do just with a bigger screen.

If you just need on the web then just about anything will do. If you need a computer then your comparing apples and oranges.
Compare the surface to an Apple computer not pad.

Define your application and storage needs first. Then see what will run them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremel View Post
Compare the surface to an Apple computer not pad.
I see your point. I guess I was comparing them based on similar size, portability, and cost even though they are different animals. In either case I wasn't going with the 4G/LTE option. Seems like the Surface Pro 4 optional keyboard is much better than the iPad's from what I have read. Other than the app selection, what am I giving up if I don't go with the iPad Pro?

1965 fastback - 289-4V, auto, deluxe interior, power steering, power brakes, air conditioning

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 10:06 AM

I just went through the same decision making process to replace an old netbook I used primarily for work.
I'm not an Apple guy so anything that started with "i" was out. I looked at convertibles, ones that the screen didn't detach, it wrapped around onto itself and became a tablet as I need a real laptop first, a tablet was secondary. I was looking for about a 12" screen, the ability to work with MS Office, and something that I can travel with daily.

After looking at several I ended up with a Lenovo "Yoga"
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...id=yoga_710_11

I got the M3 Processor and the 256 MB SSD Drive. I have been using it for about 3 weeks and REALLY like it, it is lightning fast, silent operation, awesome screen, and doesn't get warm at all.
Best Buy has them for you to go and touchy feely them along with the HP and MS offerings.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:21 PM

Garage
It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. If it's reading web forums while you are mobile (even just mobile in your house), the iPad maybe better. If you need more serious tools, like Word or Excel, and typing is important, I chose the Surface Pro 4. If it's to replace a laptop, which you may often use on your lap, I would recommend a light laptop.

I like to use my Surface for watching movies when I travel. I like that I can plug it in to my home network and treat it just like a desktop when I am working. It doesn't like to switch between monitors though. it always crams everything into a small box when I remove the external monitor. The screen is small and I am getting older. The pixel density is high, so seeing things can be even harder without zooming in and negating the density. Though that density does well for watching videos in HD. I like the pen too.

I personally also have an original iPad mini for reading and any iOS apps I had to have before I switched back to the iPhone. Each has it's purpose. Like seemingly every other answer on these forums, it depends what your goals are. With that, computers are my business, so we may have different requirements and comforts. Oh, and before the surface, I had a MacBook for a couple years. My main reason for switching was Office for Mac. I use Office too much for the (at the time) crippled Mac version.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFive-O View Post

After looking at several I ended up with a Lenovo "Yoga"
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...id=yoga_710_11
Thanks. This wasn't even on my radar. I like how the keyboard folds back on itself. I'll have to check it out.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince in Philly View Post
Thanks. This wasn't even on my radar. I like how the keyboard folds back on itself. I'll have to check it out.
HP has a series that operates the same way, I just thought they were a little more "chunky", which may not be all bad.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFive-O View Post
HP has a series that operates the same way, I just thought they were a little more "chunky", which may not be all bad.
I checked all of these out at Best Buy today. Lenovo had a Yoga 710 that offered a lot of bang for the buck. Obviously it has a better keyboard than the Surface Pro 4, but it's also thicker and heavier than the Surface Pro 4 when you use it as a tablet. With the HP you are into 13+ inches screen size, which with the attached keyboard makes it almost unwieldy in tablet mode. And the optional keyboard for the iPad Pro is too flimsy. I think I'm leaning toward the Surface Pro 4 still.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM

To me the Surface was better at being a tablet and the Yoga better at being a laptop.
A good portable laptop was priority for me but I wanted something that could be a tablet about 20% of the time.

I don't regret the decision to go with a Yoga.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 PM

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job
If the only options to consider are the Surface Pro 4 and the iPad Pro, stick to the Surface Pro. The iPad has always been a cool toy that you hand over to your kids when you need to get work done. The Surface Pro *is* the work machine *and* the play machine.

The Lenovo Yoga is better than both for anything other than traveling, in which case the Surface Pro has the edge (smaller screen, thinner, lighter weight) but it is platformed on older chip technology. That won't matter much at the time of purchase, but it might in 2 years (Surface Pro 4 is Intel Skylake based and the Yoga is Intel i7 based) I know that the Yogas are supposed to move over to Skylake-based chipsets, but I'm not sure if they've made that upgrade yet. (I haven't been in the market for a machine in a while, so I'm a touch behind on current details)

My advice is that unless you are purchasing something that is only to be used as a toy, discard the iPad from consideration. Go with either the Yoga or the Surface Pro.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (SU3-00001) vs Lenovo Yoga 900 (80MK002CUS) - Laptops Co...
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 vs Lenovo Yoga Book Review: Has Lenovo Produced The Best Alternative For Surface Pro Series? : Reviews : Mobile & Apps
Head-To-Head: Lenovo Yoga 900S Vs. Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - Page: 1 | CRN
Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Challenged By New Lenovo Yoga Book
Intel's New Core M CPU: Everything You Need to Know
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

I ended up going with the Surface Pro 4, which UPS delivered last night. I got the model with the Core i5 processor and 8 GB RAM, but saved about $300 by purchasing a unit configured with Windows 10 Pro instead of the current Windows 10 Anniversary. I stuck it in my backpack and will take it with me to Nashville today. With the winter storm there I will probably have plenty of time to check it out in my hotel room...

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Thought I would report on my experience with the Surface Pro for anyone else who is considering. So far so good, but if you want to download movies and watch offline you are limited. Netflix and amazon only support this for android and iOS devices - not windows.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job
you can install an Android emulator(Bluestacks) or a virtual machine(Android-x64) on your surface and run Android inside Windows.

Oracle has free virtualization software available called VirtualBox that wil enable you to set up for "free" but being owned by Oracle, the documentation is horrible. If you aren't already familiar with machine virtualization, that might take a while to become comfortable with.

You can install the ad supported version of Bluestacks and see if it will work for you pretty quickly and easily.

80 Muscort- "Wifebeater" (sorry if it offends. I didn't name it)
06 V6 Premium - "Hidalgo" (R.I.P. )
67 C-code Fastback - "Tombstone"

My Mustangs don't get chick names. They get horse names.
When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Tombstone's Grille Ornament
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page