Requests for donation - Vintage Mustang Forums

4Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Requests for donation

During my career I worked for three major corporations. Was laid off from the first.

Each of these companies had a drive each for employee contribution which would be deducted from each paycheck. One of them was called United Fund. Part of the sales pitch was this weekly contribution saves you from deciding among 100s.
That was fine in theory but many of our favorites were not among those on United Fund so we each would do United Fund plus our favorites.

Now I'm retired United Fund is out and all are selected from requests received in the mail. We have a policy, no, nada, zero pledges by phone.

Most are aware that donor lists are easily bought. My office has become a clearing house for donation requests. We average 5/day or about 1200/yr. Requests often come in 11x12 envelope with anything from a small blanket, cloth shopping bag, American flag, calculator, desk set, calculator, 1000 gold monogrammed return address labels for the egotist, nickels, dimes and even an occasional $1.00 bill.

Apparently non profit groups sometimes hire campaign people who think sending the prospective donor something, anything will make them feel guilty if they don't contribute!

We contribute $1000s/yr. The guilt trip crap almost always guarantees no contribution!!

This is a vent. Be glad to send you huge calculators, fabric shopping bags, 100 ball point pens that sorta write if S&H is pre paid

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 01-05-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:48 PM

When I was in college I worked part-time at a USPS sorting facility. We'd see a truck load of those "gifts" come through one night and the next night we'd see them heading the other direction marked "Return To Sender". People felt guilty about them so they sent them back RTS not knowing that they went straight to the trash. The original sender would not pay the return postage so they didn't get sent back. That kind of gives you an idea of the value placed on the gift by the "charitable" organization.

And the recipient is under absolutely no obligation to "contribute" in order to keep the "gift". If you didn't ask for it you don't owe for it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Just some guy

Garage
Nobody's sent me gratis address labels in so long I finally ran out and had to print my own. Been so long since I've had to do that that I found that the adhesive on the back of my old label sheets is about half dried up. Those folks sure bombarded me for a long time. Wonder what finally made them give up on me? Besides zero money I mean.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Garage
I've actually gotten a survey from a company that I'm pretty sure I've never used, and they said I'd get $20 for filling it out. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I filled it out- albeit the answers had absolutely ZERO to do with any of the questions- most were quotes from funny movies! Lo and behold a week or 2 later a thank you letter arrives with a crispy $20 bill in it! I was worried at first that I was being hooked for something, but I've sent in at least 6 so far and keep getting paid! I've never heard or received anything else from them, just the survey about every 6 months!

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken. -Tyler Durden
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
I've actually gotten a survey from a company that I'm pretty sure I've never used, and they said I'd get $20 for filling it out. Right, wrong, or otherwise, I filled it out- albeit the answers had absolutely ZERO to do with any of the questions- most were quotes from funny movies! Lo and behold a week or 2 later a thank you letter arrives with a crispy $20 bill in it! I was worried at first that I was being hooked for something, but I've sent in at least 6 so far and keep getting paid! I've never heard or received anything else from them, just the survey about every 6 months!

Was this a charity/non profit like say DAV, Boy's Town, Shriner's Hospital etc.?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

I was just kinda wondering if ANYONE thinks sending all this junk to people increases donations anywhere near the net cost
increase.

Anyone feel shamed into contributing? We contribute same but to the place that DIDN'T send a bunch of junk that's adding to the land fill!

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Was this a charity/non profit like say DAV, Boy's Town, Shriner's Hospital etc.?
Nope- as I recall it was some sort of company gathering opinions on ease and accessibility of ordering parts and services through particular websites- stuff like concrete, pipeline equipment, high lift machines, etc..

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Nope- as I recall it was some sort of company gathering opinions on ease and accessibility of ordering parts and services through particular websites- stuff like concrete, pipeline equipment, high lift machines, etc..

So it has nothing to do with my post right?

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
So it has nothing to do with my post right?
Wow- my bad. I thought we were talking about organizations soliciting money from us, and I for a change experienced the opposite- thought it was related, but I guess not. You may want to ad a disclaimer to your next post- something like 'If you aren't talking about EXACTLY what I'm referring to, please don't waste my time', or 'If you respond with something slightly off topic, I'm certain to respond with something that makes me sound like a total .....'
GypsyR, gwstang, sessayan and 1 others like this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I was just kinda wondering if ANYONE thinks sending all this junk to people increases donations anywhere near the net cost
increase.
Obviously the "charities" think it works. Wouldn't continue if it was a losing proposition. Of course those are the same "charities" that spend 90% of their revenue on administrative costs- The Clinton Crime Family Global Initiative type of "charities".
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 PM

So are all ya'll gonna send me $1000.00 donation ?

supershifter2 < !
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Amen.
My wife, and I are glad to give when we can. We do not want the address labels, refrigerator magnets, calendars, or blankets.
Just keep the stuff, and use that money for the charity.
I do like the appreciation for donating, so a thank you letter is all you need to send.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:10 AM

Most of the charities have nothing to do with any of these "gifts" or solicitations. Profession ad companies approach the charity and offer to solicit for them in return for a portion of the profits. These companies then mass market, keep most of the profits and give the charity anywhere between 10 & 50%. This is particularly true with the phone solicitations. This is why we never give to the phone callers. If I want to donate to a cause I want the money going directly to them, not a middleman who waste most of the money to cover the cost of the gifts, mana ment and profit.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
So are all ya'll gonna send me $1000.00 donation ?
Is Frum Hear two Eventually a registered address? LOL

Last edited by slim; 01-06-2017 at 01:21 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flade View Post
Most of the charities have nothing to do with any of these "gifts" or solicitations. Profession ad companies approach the charity and offer to solicit for them in return for a portion of the profits. These companies then mass market, keep most of the profits and give the charity anywhere between 10 & 50%. This is particularly true with the phone solicitations. This is why we never give to the phone callers. If I want to donate to a cause I want the money going directly to them, not a middleman who waste most of the money to cover the cost of the gifts, mana ment and profit.
Right on!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page