NFL injuries - Vintage Mustang Forums

1Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

NFL injuries

Been a NFL fanatic since the Vince Lombardi days. Anyone who saw Jim Brown play may recall the time when the whole defense would pile on him once he was stopped. Jim Tayler, Packer running back sought hitting defense players. Dick Butkas Bears linebacker had goal of punishing anyone he tackled!

Seems like today the outcome of whole seasons, playoffs or final championships hinge on injuries! The Oakland Raiders for example had rebuilt and were one of the top three NFL teams after Pats and Cowboys. Bam, their quarterback is injured next game is no contest, they were done! It's normal to have 2 or 3 major injuries in a game. Not talking concussions which
used to sadly be ignored. Talking broken bones and such!

Yesterday the Packers won their 7th in a row. Their top receiver, out all of 2015 with leg injury finally a big factor in the late 2016 comeback is hit hard in the side being tackled. Possibly broken ribs, collapsed lung and lacerated spleen!

Is this weird or what? In the Lombardi days guys partied the nite before the game. Had reinforced leather helmet with no face guard except on the line and much less padding.

Next Sunday the Packers will probably get beat up by the Cowboys. Would have been closer with Jordy Nelson playing but still a closer loss.

Did players used to have rubber bones?

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 01-09-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Players today are a lot faster and stronger and hit harder than the players of the past.

I also think they feel that their equipment protects them better and are therefore more willing to lead with their helmets and really try to put big hits on guys.

I think you'd see less injuries if we gave players leather helmets to play the game. They'd be a lot more protective of themselves when going in for the big tackles.

Cool article that talks about the evolution of NFL players.
http://operations.nfl.com/the-player...he-nfl-player/

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

Last edited by Dan Babb; 01-09-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Garage
Yeah, the pads and helmets definitely contribute because players are willing to hit harder knowing they have that protection. Going to a padded leather helmet with some type of face guard would probably lead to few head injuries than having that hard plastic shell.
I saw that hit on Nelson, immediately thought cracked ribs with possible spleen problem.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Good point. BUTT. Do you recall the Chicago Bears that won the Super Bowl in 86? They did it with bone smashing defense. It was before rules aimed at protecting players, even QBs. Walter Payton wasn't in great shape? How 'bout the purple people eaters of the Vikings, Pittsburgh Iron curtain.

They now have practices with limited hitting like flag football to avoid injury in practice. Seems like the more careful they are the more injuries!

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:06 PM

Garage
That '85 Bears defense destroyed people, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Payton was probably one of the most fit players ever, which is how he missed only 1 game in his rookie season (that he could've played in). He generally gave the hit, instead of getting hit. Bears missed a chance at the '84-'85 Super Bowl because McMahon was out with a lacerated kidney (that he finished playing the game with).
Some of the injuries are just bad luck nowadays, getting ankles/knees rolled on from behind, some are from hard hits, like Nelson's.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:19 PM

Like said, players are bigger and stronger.

I also think it has to do with what athletes ask from their body. Not to say they didn't give it all 30 years ago, but science and technology have led to them being stronger, and asking more from their bodies. I compare them to a race car. Your average muscle car is strong, but comes with a warranty because they're strong and reliable. Now when you add a blower, and start pulling every bit of potential from it, the more it makes, the more it runs on the edge of its capabilities, and the less reliable it is. The human body is very similar to these machines.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:31 PM

Seem to me like these guys play like they have nothing to lose, just striving for that 15 minutes of fame.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM

I think part of the issue too is that players are looking for the big hit to really put the hurt on a guy. Watch a game closely and see how often you see a defensive player actually try to wrap a guy up and tackle him. It's more impressive to deliver the big hit, launching oneself from 2-3 yards away at the guy carrying the ball.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM

Garage
Bigger, faster and more money on the line. The sport has definitely evolved. Most of these guys are in peak physical shape. All have strength coaches and many have private chefs that provide the optimal fuel for thier bodies. They begin training as kids now. Contracts and big paychecks are on the line, so they are willing to give up more, which utimately affects thier health and well being.

1966 Mustang Convertible
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:00 PM

It's the eqipmwnt too in addition to helmets. When I was in 8th grade (1961) I had a Summer job helping to do inventory of H.S. football team equip. Much of older stuff was from early 50's. Shoulder pads were small the hard surfaces was a little thicker than cardboard. the padding was thick cotton.
I've seen my Grandson's H.S. protective gear. Everything is thicker. I can imagine what pros wear.
Joe
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Football is a tough sport, kid. See that guy over there? Weighs about 250 lbs.? Not that long ago he was slow and fat and a lineman. Today he isn't slow, or fat, and he isn't a lineman either. Now he can sprint with the ends or smash into a running back so hard it'll take your breath away.

This isn't about the NFL. This is about football at every level and it is about war. From Pop Warner Pee-wee to Canton. The advent of the face mask and padded shell helmet changed football. They changed the way players blocked and tackled and even ran with the ball too. What was once done by arm tackle or throwing yourself at someone's legs suddenly became square up, head up, face on the numbers. Jerseys that were once loose with long sleeves became tight and glued on and virtually sleeveless, nothing to grab and drag someone down by. Football is a tough sport, kid. I said this is about war. Two armies going at it. There is the ground war, hand to hand combat/trench warfare on the line of scrimmage, air superiority and air defense, the blitz, the bomb, and the strategy of the Generals both on the field and off. A great quarterback becomes a "Field General" with a "Howitzer" arm. A running back is described as being "a Tank" or "a battering ram". There are medics and surgeons too. War with only the smallest of body counts but many injuries occur. Football is a tough sport, kid. Wanna play?

Would you rather watch Flag Football instead? Not me, Bubba. And neither would others named Bronko, or Mean Joe, or Butkus, or Sonny, or Nitschke, or Night Train, or Unitas, or Jake, or Gronk. Also some guys named Curly or Vinny or Papa Bear.

Or even a Fran.
(I like Football, can you tell?)

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're right then go ahead"

Last edited by 4ocious; 01-09-2017 at 04:02 PM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:57 PM

At one point, I had 3 former NFL players working for me.

One had been a Center for Philadelphia Eagles for 5 years.

He told me one time, down near the goal, there was a fumble, right in front of him. He thought it would be the only TD he would ever score.

He felt like his feet were in concrete, he picked up the ball, and he said that

He had never been hit SO HARD and SO FAST in his entire career. This is from a man who played Pro 5 years, and was hit and hit others on every play.

He coughed up the ball.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangerbob1 View Post
He coughed up the ball.
That's funny...he went from having visions of glory to feeling like a big loser.

I had a similar story from high school.
I was also a center.

I snapped the ball and the QB fumbled it. I saw the ball and recovered it. Walked back to the huddle all proud of myself and the QB says "You were supposed to snap it on 3..not 2"...other guys in huddle nodded in agreement. Went from feeling like a hero to zero in 2 secs.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
That '85 Bears defense destroyed people, so I'm not sure what you're referring to. Payton was probably one of the most fit players ever, which is how he missed only 1 game in his rookie season (that he could've played in). He generally gave the hit, instead of getting hit. Bears missed a chance at the '84-'85 Super Bowl because McMahon was out with a lacerated kidney (that he finished playing the game with).
Some of the injuries are just bad luck nowadays, getting ankles/knees rolled on from behind, some are from hard hits, like Nelson's.
That was my point. The 85 Bears destroyed people!Wasn't I clear? Payton was in incredible shape most times he delivered the hit. One eyed McMahon often played if he could stand up!

Like has been said today's NFL (and college) are fantastically conditioned and have a lot of protection. Yet injuries seem to go up faster each year.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

IMO the recent concentration on concussion is long overdue in all contact sports. Playing with a physical injury is
amazing, almost heroic. Often brain damage shows up years later. I'm referring to physical injuries, no one seems to have
digressed from that. I'm all for keeping a player out because of concussion.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page