Any appliance repairman on here? Washing machine issue - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to coolblue65
Any appliance repairman on here? Washing machine issue

Hopefully someone here knows these things...

I have a Whirlpool Duet Washing machine Model GHW9150PW1. It has started to leak, kind of a lot, actually it has leaked for a long time, but only occasional dribbles until recently. The best part is that it leaked in the pan it sits in, but I learned the pan is cracked as I started having water seep through the ceiling (2nd floor laundry room), anyways I digress. From the best I can tell, it is leaking from the front door seal area, but I don't see any obvious damage/holes/tears in the door bellow seal. I pulled the lower panel and everything seems dry there too. But here is where it gets really interesting to me, I pulled the drain trap cap, and was surprised when I found a 5" long metal rod in there, see pic. It looks like it is broken off something but I can't figure out what, I can't imagine this part coming from inside the laundry tub, as it's so long, so I am thinking something broke off inside somewhere? So basically, if this thing is showing a fairly catastrophic failure, depending on what the part costs are to repair that (plus a new bellow) I will just buy a new washer vs. replacing a bunch of parts on this thing as my wife hates it anyways.

Thoughts?

ET: 12.7@109 mph
ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:50 PM

I just tried to look up the spare parts for your washer and I don't even see anything that looks like that. The closest I could find would be maybe it was part of the shock absorber, assuming the shock absorber is completely destroyed.
Here's where I was looking just in case it might help:
GHW9150PW1 Whirlpool Washer Parts and Repair Help

Shock:
Whirlpool WP8182703 - Shock Absorber | PartSelect
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I just tried to look up the spare parts for your washer and I don't even see anything that looks like that. The closest I could find would be maybe it was part of the shock absorber, assuming the shock absorber is completely destroyed.
Here's where I was looking just in case it might help:
GHW9150PW1 Whirlpool Washer Parts and Repair Help

Shock:
Whirlpool WP8182703 - Shock Absorber | PartSelect
Yeah I have looked at the parts diagrams already, definitely not any part of the shock, and I have no idea, it just seems crazy to think that at some point this went in the wash, went through a cycle made out the drain then got stuck in the trap....

ENGINE: FiTech EFI, DSS 347, AFR 185s, Vic Jr, XE274HR cam, MSD ign, Hooker Headers, Magnaflow exhaust
DRIVELINE: Tremec 3550, Pro 5.0, Fidanza AL Flywheel, McCleod clutch, 3.55's, 13" GT Front & Cobra Rear brakes
SUSPENSION: 17" TTII's, 235/45 tires, 620 coils, Shelby drop, 1" & 3/4" sway bars, Monte Carlo bar, S&T strut rods, Bilsteins, & roller perches

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:31 PM

Why are you washing push-rods?

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017:
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Are you sure it's part of the machine? Could it be something from shipping?

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Are you sure it's part of the machine? Could it be something from shipping?
No, I am not sure what it is, but it was IN THE DRAIN TRAP/PUMP certainly had to get in there somehow- could just accidentally fall in. I am

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 PM

Regarding the 5 inch rod, ask your wife if she is missing an underwire in one of her bras. The bellows/door gaskets go bad in those washers due to age and possibly overloading. Peel it back and look with a light to see if it has any tears in it.

67 Shelby Clone
2008 Shelby Convertible

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 AM
rpm

I've found that You Tube has every fix I needed to do on two different models I've had.

Bob

There are 2 types of people, those who own pickups and those who borrow them.

69 M code Mach 1, 393w AFR 185, C5 trans, 3.50 traction lok N case, 13" 01Cobra 4 wheel disc, QA1 4 wheel coil covers, Chromo tube susp arms, Triangulated rear arms, Convertible inner rockers & seat riser, 6 point roll bar.

Build Pics http://s782.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=2

Build Thread
http://1969stang.com/forum/index.php...bitch-is-back/
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Scratch the comment on the underwire. The picture of the 5" rod wasn't showing up when I replied to the post the first time. I see it now and it's clearly not that.

67 Shelby Clone
2008 Shelby Convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page