Anyone from Bismarck ND - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone from Bismarck ND

Got to fly to Bismarck this weekend and drive back...wondering what I need to prepare for... i.e. Weather and road conditions....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Well, it's forecast to warm up into the teens, so the locals will probably be in shorts.

1970 Mach 1 M code

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 PM

I was over there last week. Expect winter conditions. Roads are packed snow for the most part throughout the state and ice covered east of Bismarck toward Fargo. North and west of Bismarck got less freezing rain and more snow in the last storm. Carry extra food, water, at least 1/4 tank of gas. Keep your bare skin covered. Bare minimum would be winter jacket a beanie and gloves to get off the plane. A neck warmer and thin layers under your pants/shirt go a long ways. You'll be fine if the weather warms up as it's supposed to next week. There's a good map of road conditions on the nd.gov website that gets updated a couple times a day. It's going to be 50 degrees warmer next week than now (-16 vs 39).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
I was over there last week. Expect winter conditions. Roads are packed snow for the most part throughout the state and ice covered east of Bismarck toward Fargo. North and west of Bismarck got less freezing rain and more snow in the last storm. Carry extra food, water, at least 1/4 tank of gas. Keep your bare skin covered. Bare minimum would be winter jacket a beanie and gloves to get off the plane. A neck warmer and thin layers under your pants/shirt go a long ways. You'll be fine if the weather warms up as it's supposed to next week. There's a good map of road conditions on the nd.gov website that gets updated a couple times a day. It's going to be 50 degrees warmer next week than now (-16 vs 39).
Thanks Riley, I will be picking up the truck and installing two new batteries (outside) so I will take some warm apparel. I know the wind conditions wreak havok on the highways so I'm hoping to land Friday, get to my location, install batteries and head back Saturday morning....we'll see how that all works out for me...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bosssvt View Post
Thanks Riley, I will be picking up the truck and installing two new batteries (outside) so I will take some warm apparel. I know the wind conditions wreak havok on the highways so I'm hoping to land Friday, get to my location, install batteries and head back Saturday morning....we'll see how that all works out for me...

Let me know if you run into a jam you can't get out of. I know a few people in Bismarck.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley View Post
Let me know if you run into a jam you can't get out of. I know a few people in Bismarck.
Thanks for the offer...looks like I am going next weekend instead, had a situation with the truck being buried in 55" of snow and took two days to get it out from behind 15 cars...ugh...needed to have a rear glass replaced... Towed it to Heider Glass to have the glass replaced and realized the driveshaft was in the bed of the truck(removed to tow) so there would have been way too much for me to do to get it driveable by Saturday in a town I'm unfamiliar with... Tom Heider, owner of the glass shop, offered to get a couple of batteries installed and have the driveshaft installed at a local shop he uses. I bought the truck at a copart auction (hail damage salvage) so Tom has gone out of his way to help me get the truck roadworthy( There are still some good people left out here). The tow company kinda hit me a little. Charged $150. To Tow it literally across the street because he had to take the driveshaft out of a manual trans truck...just to find out the driveshaft was already out of the truck in the bed (saw it after all the snow melted). Oh well definitely thankful for Tom at the glass shop.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:30 AM

Glad you found some help. When we get over 4' of snow in under two weeks the tow guys tend to get what they want pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page