Hi, this is Josh with the service department. - Vintage Mustang Forums

6Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Hi, this is Josh with the service department.

Can you hear me OK?

Over the past few months I have received this phone call several times. It's actually a live person and not a machine. That's all I ever hear of the spiel as I hang up when I hear this.

Why do these people not understand that I am not interested in buying whatever it is that they're selling? What do I have to do to make them understand I'm not interested? I don't want to tell the caller what I think about his mother's personal life but if they persist in calling I guess I'll be forced to.

Anybody else here receiving this call?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM

All the time in various formats. Credit card debt, selling insurance, wait until you approach Medicare time. What relly bothers me is that my phone number is on the Federal "Do not call" list. Another law the Feds seem to love to igore enforcing. Cussing and getting vular seems to help. What are they going to do? Call the Police? I wish because then I'll get their address for the lawsuit.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddster View Post
wait until you approach Medicare time
Maybe that's it as I'll be 63 in a few weeks. I guess I'm going to have to become a Grouchy Old Fart to get rid of them.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Sometimes, just replying in babble will cause them to hang up on you. Give it your best Chinese language impression and have fun with it.

On the topic of telemarketing, this is funny. Warning...uncensored.
Israel, gt350sr and patrickstapler like this.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:26 AM

Garage
I've been getting 2-3 calls everyday on both my work and personal phones trying to sell me extended warranty on a truck I don't even have anymore! Like you said- it's a live person, not automated bs. I'd been hanging up on them like you do up until a few days ago. The call was from Pennsylvania, the guy gave me his spiel regarding my truck and it's pending expiring warranty; only this time I responded with "I would, but that truck was totaled out a couple days ago when my wife and 4 children were killed in a collision in it"..... the other end was silent for a few seconds, then 'click'. Ok sure, maybe I felt a tid bit guilty afterwords- for like 2 seconds
j persons and DrHawkeye like this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:30 AM

I know it probably hurts my potential to get some remodel work, but I won't answer a call from a number I am not familiar with.
I'll let it ring until they leave a message and then call them back.
I know some people don't like to leave messages, I do it also.
Seems as soon as I got older, the more bogus calls I get.
I used to get work from this outfit that talked the elderly into really expensive and unnecessary remodel work, I cut ties with them just because I knew they were bilking them out of their life savings.
It gave me a better conscious.
The majority of $$$ I make is off of millennials.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage
I generally ignore calls from numbers I don't know, but if I see numerous calls from the same number, then I'll answer it just to get rid of them. Haven't had the service call yet, but a call for my wife last week because she had been on blood thinners, except my wife has never been on blood thinners. That person got an earful and a warning about the Do Not Call list. Worst part was I could barely understand the Indian female cuz her English was horrible.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Sometimes I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I ask questions, tell them stories, repeat the same questions, then tell them more stories. My personal record is 45 minutes for a guy trying to sell me a dietary supplement that would improve my memory.
joespony67 likes this.

1970 Mach 1 M code

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:42 AM

I will not pay for caller ID on my landline. So here come the calls. And, it is an instant hang-up if you say anything about Federal DNC numbers. The problem is this, they can stop calling when the answer to Final Jepardy is about to be on. That really P%$$@# me off.

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM

Garage
My wife knows a little bit of Spanish, so sometimes when we get a call from an unknown number she will answer it that way. Sometimes they just keep on talking, but she has had a few where they say they will call back with someone who speaks Spanish. They never do.

One of my buddies and his wife like messing with them, one of them will answer and listen to the whole spiel, and then say "you're going to have to talk to my husband about that", he will then listen to them and say "you're going to have to talk to my wife about that", they keep this up til the caller gets mad and hangs up.

69 Mach 1, 351W, T5, owned for 29 years, 03 Mach 1 Azure Blue, 65 fastback, 289, C4 (son's), 67 fastback, 289, C4 (wife's)
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
Sometimes I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible. I ask questions, tell them stories, repeat the same questions, then tell them more stories. My personal record is 45 minutes for a guy trying to sell me a dietary supplement that would improve my memory.
That's impressive. The most I've gotten is about 8-9 minutes - I'm also using a soundboard most times and playing roles and having some fun while I'm at it.

I read an article somewhere that if everyone that gets called by telemarketers just kept them on for a couple minutes and wasted their time, the telemarketer industry would go bankrupt in a matter of months.

Ven
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:15 PM
I won a special award

This is the best I've ever heard someone mess with a telemarketer.

https://youtu.be/kAb8vGSRBoE
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:45 PM

I get a few. What I do is tell them I have to get (me) and put the phone down and leave it while they wait. Hang up about 15 minutes later.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM

I used to get "extended warranty" or "service agreement" type calls all the time. I would usually just hang up or ignore the call. They kept calling anyway. Then I informed a caller that I had to sell both of my cars recently because I'm not allowed to drive anymore since my last DUI arrest. I told her I don't think a judge should be allowed to revoke someone's license permanently, that it doesn't seem fair to me. I have not had calls like that lately (maybe a year now) though I imagine I will again at some point when my phone# makes it on to yet another list.
I plan to repeat this process as needed. I think it helps a bit if you know how to play the game their way, but so that you win.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're right then go ahead"
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:04 PM

Grandpa?, what's a "land line"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page