5pm - Vintage Mustang Forums

13Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
5pm

it's close enough to 5 and it's Friday.... I'm ready for a beer!!
Huskinhano, Huntingky and JD08 like this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
I'm with you and it's only 4 PM where I'm at. Put a fork in me as I'm done.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5 TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:06 PM

I'm taking a tea break, chai tea from India. I still have some electrical work to do today on my garage remodel.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:36 PM

I'll be up at 4:30 AM tomorrow morning. Overtime! Cha-Ching. The overtime pays for my semi monthly engine rebuilds!

The time and a half never seems worth it at 4:30 when the alarm goes off!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:45 PM

I got a late start. I'm three in now though. Cheers.
gt350sr likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Location: Midway, IN born & raised - Columbus, OH for the job
My teammate and I had the goal of turning our system on before heading out for the weekend. We set a deadline of 5, and were ready to for it up at about 4:54. (Takes about a minute to tear down a failed test and have the next one running and ready for inspection)

4:54| Ran through a test and hit a stack overflow. [Analysis]: AHA! The value stored in the database has a typo in it. Fixed, reran...[turnaround=45 seconds]

4:56| Ran again, hit a NullRefException. [Analysis]; AHA! Assigned the property in constructor before the backing field was added, so compiler "helped" by turning this into a property identity assignment. Fixed, reran...[turnaround=30 seconds]

4:57| Ran again, next error. Dont remember the root cause. [Analysis] We can get this straightened out in time and still hit the deadline...[turnaround=50 seconds]

4:59| Ran again, same error. Last fix didnt move us any closer. [Analysis] database fix from earlier fixed the immediate symptom but masked one downstream. Fixed, Nuked schema, Rebuilt, Repopulated...[turnaround=12 minutes]

5:11| Ran again....next error. We're vested in getting to watch this thing pass.

7:05| Ran again...logjam of "just one more"s cleared. All earlier failures were in the core stage of the business process and we've flown through it successfully to the postprocessor. Data Consistency Failure: Forward Curve doesnt contain as many data points as our Forecast expects. [Analysis] Cant get into specifics but we spent 15 minutes in Root Cause Analysis and simultaneously realized that this is *the* final potential error between us and a successful run...and that the fix will take us about 4 hours.

...It's waiting til Monday.

80 Muscort- "Wifebeater" (sorry if it offends. I didn't name it)
06 V6 Premium - "Hidalgo" (R.I.P. )
67 C-code Fastback - "Tombstone"

My Mustangs don't get chick names. They get horse names.
When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Tombstone's Grille Ornament

Last edited by Alaric; 02-10-2017 at 09:21 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
My teammate and I had the goal of turning our system on before heading out for the weekend. We set a deadline of 5, and were ready to for it up at about 4:54. (Takes about a minute to tear down a failed test and have the next one running and ready for inspection)

4:54| Ran through a test and hit a stack overflow. [Analysis]: AHA! The value stored in the database has a typo in it. Fixed, reran...[turnaround=45 seconds]

4:56| Ran again, hit a NullRefException. [Analysis]; AHA! Assigned the property in constructor before the backing field was added, so compiler "helped" by turning this into a property identity assignment. Fixed, reran...[turnaround=30 seconds]

4:57| Ran again, next error. Dont remember the root cause. [Analysis] We can get this straightened out in time and still hit the deadline...[turnaround=50 seconds]

4:59| Ran again, same error. Last fix didnt move us any closer. [Analysis] database fix from earlier fixed the immediate symptom but masked one downstream. Fixed, Nuked schema, Rebuilt, Repopulated...[turnaround=12 minutes]

5:11| Ran again....next error. We're vested in getting to watch this thing pass.

7:05| Ran again...logjam of "just one more"s cleared. All earlier failures were in the core stage of the business process and we've flown through it successfully to the postprocessor. Data Consistency Failure: Forward Curve doesnt contain as many data points as our Forecast expects. [Analysis] Cant get into specifics but we spent 15 minutes in Root Cause Analysis and simultaneously realized that this is *the* final potential error between us and a successful run...and that the fix will take us about 4 hours.

Can you write this in English so that I can understand what you're trying to say?
gt350sr likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 PM

He's saying he wasted over two hours making a decision he could have made two hours earlier and been in the same spot on Monday as he is now only a few cold beers sooner.
DrHawkeye likes this.

Regards,
Patrick
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
He's saying he wasted over two hours making a decision he could have made two hours earlier and been in the same spot on Monday as he is now only a few cold beers sooner.
What were we talking (hic) about again?
gt350sr and patrickstapler like this.

68' Fastback 302 GT, 350hp,T5z, some mod's
Near total rebuild began 12/08 AND NOT DONE YET
Davy Crockett: "Be sure you're right then go ahead"
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Murphy's law of IT: Anything you fix on Friday afternoon WILL fail over the weekend.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Can you write this in English so that I can understand what you're trying to say?
If we hadnt pushed so hard to hit 5PM, then we wouldnt have been so interested in seeing our results when we went overtime. Going into overtime caused us to encounter an issue that scared us enough that we felt compelled to analyze and get to the bottom of, which caused us to keep going until about 7:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickstapler View Post
..we set an ambitious goal of having something done before the end of Friday that we werent "supposed" to have done until next Friday. We had a tactical meeting early in the day where we discussed our approach from a different angle and moving some things around completely eliminated a few problems that were going to take about an extra four days to fix. When we realized these roadblocks were gone, the remaining work was just a few hours left. We hammered down to get things ready for a final shakedown at 5, and we were still working under the gun at 4:54. Ran the firat test and the problem that presented was very quick to troubleshoot and correct. We went through several very easy tweaks trying to hit 5 o'clock then after our 5 o'clock made up deadline, we ran into an issue that looked like it was such a big deal we had to figure out what it was "now" or it could ruin absolutely everything.

We ended up having to spend some time tearing down the database and rebuilding it to reset everything. Then I tore down the application server, rebuilt my system...etc. we did the things necessary to completely isolate our problem and focus only on it. That took some time, then took some more time to perform a Root Cause Analysis. The result of that found that the problem was not nearly as serious as we feared but that it was going to take "a few hours" which we weren't ambitious enough to fix at 7:30 on a Friday night.

When Hugh Hefner dies, will anyone actually believe the ubiquitous eulogy statement: "Well, at least he's in a better place"

Last edited by Alaric; 02-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
Murphy's law of IT: Anything you fix on Friday afternoon WILL fail over the weekend.
For us, that law applies to "Any night when the offshore team performs an administrative task." The last time they touched our stuff (Tuesday) they *poofed* our database cluster. I say *poof* because they didnt "delete" it, they didnt "erase" it, they didnt "purge" it...as of now, it never existed. *poof*

Last edited by Alaric; 02-11-2017 at 11:14 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
For us, that law applies to "Any night when the offshore team performs an administrative task." The last time they touched our stuff (Tuesday) they *poofed* our database cluster. I say *poof* because they didnt "delete" it, they didnt "erase" it, they didnt "purge" it...as of now, it never existed. *poof*
I think I found your problem.
gt350sr likes this.

1970 Mach 1 M code
1990 5.0 LX Limited Edition

I keep noticing the DOT puts up signs to honor my burnouts. That's nice of them.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
I think I found your problem.
Trust me; I know! ...as far as offshore teams are concerned, ours are highly competent and surprisingly good. If you are going to offshore at all, South America is the only way to go. But they are a vendor and vendor politics do come into play (more detail than that would be talking out of school)

...I am so glad that the management love affair the industry had with India fell so flat on its face, though. If the first excursion outsourcing to the subcontinent had resulted in successes rather than abject failure, those gains might have simply emboldened management to chase good money after bad once the results turned south. There are a whole host of problems with outsourcing in general, and several entirely different layers of troubles offshoring to India.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Alaric and DrHawkeye like this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page