Craigslist Sigh! - Vintage Mustang Forums

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 69StangRestomod
  • 1 Post By Moosee1955

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Craigslist Sigh!

So, trying to come up with a fresh(ish) short block to help remedy my saga. I find this post https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pts/5985397810.html over in that "other" state. My text to him "where are you located?" His response in 10 seconds, For what? I have 3 adds on CL. My response, "Three ads not in the same location, never mind". Dead silence after my reply.

Am I crazy not to think this is a scam? Or am I just old?

Notice how the title says with stand, and the description says it does not come with stand. I don't need the stand!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:19 PM

I think you kind of ****ed yourself on this one bud. If somebody sent me a text 'where is this located?' I would assume it to be a text bot, and want to know exactly what they're interested in. And if I received your reply I would have said '**** this guy' and not respond, I don't deal with assholes.

That's just my take on how it happened. As for title and description not lining up, maybe he listed it with stand, sold the stand and went back and edited the posting and forgot about editing the title.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
I think you kind of ****ed yourself on this one bud. If somebody sent me a text 'where is this located?' I would assume it to be a text bot, and want to know exactly what they're interested in. And if I received your reply I would have said '**** this guy' and not respond, I don't deal with assholes.

That's just my take on how it happened. As for title and description not lining up, maybe he listed it with stand, sold the stand and went back and edited the posting and forgot about editing the title.
The prefix of the phone number was Tinley Park, which was OK. See I'm Old! So the guy I thought was scamming me thought I was scamming him. Sigh! Fair enough. I could use the wifes phone and start again. So I'm not ***ed. I don't like going into the land of Lincoln on craigslist adds. People tend to die frequently in that part of Illinois. I try not to go anywhere not friendly to the second amendment. Not overly paranoid, but we do get the Chicago news, even where I live.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:09 PM

doesnt the ad say "comes with" the engine stand...thats at least a 50.00 stand, but i think you would be better gettng something complete from the bone yard
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Just to play devils advocate as well...I still have a Texas phone number and live in WI now...

Why?

Because the last four digits are 1969...and I ain't losing that without a fight!
Lizer likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69StangRestomod View Post
Just to play devils advocate as well...I still have a Texas phone number and live in WI now...

Why?

Because the last four digits are 1969...and I ain't losing that without a fight!
I know 2 people who have Hawaii area codes on their phones just because they think it's cool!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 PM

We have a location, two parking spots right in front of our Daly City police station to do internet transactions. If something goes awry it's all being video taped. Great idea. Anybody that wants to meet there knows that, and would have to be a total bonehead to rip you off. Any time I've ever had someone sell or offer something way cheaper than everyone else, when you read their little scam you tell them their being reported and monitored, and that you do business only in person. They run like scared rabbits every time. All the emails/ texts suddenly stop when your on to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
69StangRestomod likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 PM

Garage
Looks like the block will need to be freshened up and possibly bored based what I can see. That would then mean pistons of course. It might clean up standard though. Still has the roller cam and lifters. Considering what all is there, it looks like a decent deal. Just a rebuildable core 5.0 block will go for $150 down in Texas where I live.

I understand the concern about Chicago. I have been there once several years back in the middle of a freeze over. Coldest place I've ever been. The crime has gotten a lot worse. It is inconceivable to me that nobody has done anything significant to put a stop to all the shootings up there.

If you are that concerned take a friend or 2 with you that know how to handle themselves.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
The prefix of the phone number was Tinley Park, which was OK. See I'm Old! So the guy I thought was scamming me thought I was scamming him. Sigh! Fair enough. I could use the wifes phone and start again. So I'm not ***ed. I don't like going into the land of Lincoln on craigslist adds. People tend to die frequently in that part of Illinois. I try not to go anywhere not friendly to the second amendment. Not overly paranoid, but we do get the Chicago news, even where I live.
I have an Iowa phone number in Michigan. In the modern world of cell phones where your number stays with you for life unless you want to change it, the caller location doesn't really mean anything anymore. However that is one thing I'm very conscious of when I call or text on Craigslist is I make sure to say where I live and that I moved here from Iowa.

The world has become so crazy you have to use a healthy abundance of caution on Craigslist. There's a lot of great people out there, but there's really bad ones too. I always meet up in a public place and if I can't, I have a buddy go with me and someone is carrying concealed.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:57 PM

My son's local cell phone number in Texas works while he was stationed in Korea and Estonia.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page