4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lizer
  • 1 Post By macstang
  • 1 Post By DrHawkeye
  • 1 Post By TheRktmn

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dang fracken youtube autoplay just stop it

Computer, please do not just presume to take it upon yourself to do things that I did not ask you to do OK?

I tried downloading a Firefox add on called Stoptube but the audio for the video still played but the video did not play. This is weird. I switched from flash to HTML 5 for all these video files some time back and permanently disabled flash.

I finally got it turned off. I had to edit the about:config file in Firefox and change a couple of autoplay options. It is beyond me why they think it is cool to just fire off a video in a post in a thread just for no particular reason.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:02 PM

I can't read news sites anymore because their videos all start autoplaying. And so when you pause the playing video, THEN it minimizes the video and it starts playing in a little box in the lower corner of your screen. What kind of BS is this? I didn't want to watch your sensationalized video in the first place so you think I want to watch it now, only smaller?

Then again, it's not even worth reading the news anymore. It's become so sensationalized with this latest political cycle, hyperpartisan and hyperliberal, it's not trustworthy. It's like they don't even try to hide bias and are now just out to fulfill a personal vendetta. That's not the media's job. And to understand the significance of my statement here, you guys need to understand I'm pretty liberal and I absolutely detest the current administration. But I'm also a scientist, and to me, facts and accuracy are important, as is not making something is that isn't.
DrHawkeye likes this.

67 coupe with 5.0 and C4 (Viper GTS Blue, paint code PBE, since everybody asks)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ drag pack
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 AM
Just some guy

Garage
Glad I'm not the only one this drives nuts. I hate trying to read an article with a stupid little video trying to play all the time. Tried one or two video disable programs. Best they seem to do is disable the videos I click on and WANT to see. They do nothing for the talk boxes like Lizer mentioned and the ones I want to kill.
Do all these videos pop up on people who have limited bandwidth too? That would REALLY drive me crazy.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Do all these videos pop up on people who have limited bandwidth too? That would REALLY drive me crazy.
Yes, those annoying videos pop up on us folks with slower internet speeds too. That stupid little box starting on the right side of the screen as I scroll downwards slows things down a bit. And sometimes the "X" to close it doesn't show up right away.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The other thing that drives me nuts is when I do a web search and find something I would like to read. When I click on the website it comes up and then covers the screen with this huge banner that says I can read the article if I will provide them with a bunch of my private information and create an account. The propaganda news are famous for doing this stuff. I never play that game. I would be email spammed from these people for all eternity and all the other companies they sell my information to.

The magic miniature video box down in the corner is another one. You'd almost think these people are doing this stuff just to hack people off. If I wanted to see the fricken frack video I would leave it in the big middle of my screen.

I run Adblock plus for Firefox and some websites refuse to let me run their site with Adblock on. Others will put a message line on the screen asking me to turn Adblock off. As if, LOL. Sooner or later the askers will start prohibiting access to their websites if you're running an Adblock system I predict.
TheRktmn likes this.

331 solid flat cam, rings and bearings break in run up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MNjb-AiWec

331 break in complete and is waiting on me to finish the body work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhnOk5FCBkE

One of the last tnt's on my 289 may she rest in pieces. It ran in the
high 11's low 12's when it was at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2yWPZGfMT0

Last edited by macstang; 02-16-2017 at 05:53 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:01 AM

I just keep my volume muted until I want to hear/see something.

'68 coupe 289 C4 (featured in Mustangs & Fords July 2003)
'67 convertible 5.0L EFI conversion
'90 LX 5.0L
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM

I don't use the computer much, the last time i did, it was like playing "whack a mole" trying to X out the videos that were trying to play.
I use my iPhone exclusively with Adblock plus.
It's been working without issues but the phone is less than 2 months old (I've had 3 in one year, I keep breaking them at work).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:32 AM

I set all my plugins to 'ask' so if something wants to play I get asked. A bit of a PITA, but I find that 99% of the must see videos are videos I don't care to see.
Another great add-on is 'Ghostery'. I removed Adblocker plus because it had become a memory hog and installed Ghostery to stop the trackers, "essential" content and advertising. It works great.
Occasionally I have to unblock something to interact with a site, but once I do I can set it to remember that 'fix' for that site.
Right now I am blocking 20 trackers that the owners of this site have installed to sell my info to 17 different advertisers (aka spammers). There are also two Google trackers that are here to help me search. Really? Search and site runs great w/o them. Loads a lot faster too.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at
Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 AM

On the same note.
What ever happened to having TV's that would turn down the volume of commercials?
I remember some companies saying they were going to make these. BS! I haven't seen one.
I watch a stupid TV show, and then a commercial comes on and the volume is 20 times louder. Maybe when someone sues the ad people for hearing damage it will stop.

I cant wait for spring, and summer. I will be outside building a garage. Away from all this technology and news for a while.
That should be a great vacation from it all.

Joe in Detroit
1969 Mustang Sports Roof (SAG = Sports Appearance Group) 1 of only 5,729
1966 Ranchero Custom 1 of only 11,000 made. (For Sale)
2014 Mustang V6 premium pony package
1969 Mustang Grande (sold)

Personal Quote from 5-1-15. ''DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HAVE TO POOP!"

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"
Tom Petty, Runnin Down A Dream.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
On the same note.
What ever happened to having TV's that would turn down the volume of commercials?
I remember some companies saying they were going to make these. BS! I haven't seen one.
I watch a stupid TV show, and then a commercial comes on and the volume is 20 times louder. Maybe when someone sues the ad people for hearing damage it will stop.

I cant wait for spring, and summer. I will be outside building a garage. Away from all this technology and news for a while.
That should be a great vacation from it all.
Believe it or not, the FCC made a ruling about commercials and their volume within the last couple years and it was supposed to prohibit it from happening. Obviously, nobody is following the rules, and apparently the FCC isn't fining anybody in violation.
TheRktmn likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
Believe it or not, the FCC made a ruling about commercials and their volume within the last couple years and it was supposed to prohibit it from happening. Obviously, nobody is following the rules, and apparently the FCC isn't fining anybody in violation.
Just like the 'Do Not Call' registry. The telemarketers just mask their number so there's no finding them.
DrHawkeye likes this.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at
Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page