Ford at the 1934 & 1935 Words Fair. - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Ford at the 1934 & 1935 Words Fair.

Pretty cool show of their presence at te Fair. I wonder if they acually assembled complete cars there and what happened to them if they did. A pretty comprehensive exhibit. Try doing something like that today and OSHA would be all over them.

Tom

I'm not a complete idiot, pieces are missing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 AM

It's amazing what they constructed for a temporary exposition. Consider this was still in the midst of the Great Depression.

Henry was no dummy. The Fords were aimed at the common man market. We think we're split between rich and lower income with no middle class? In the thirties there were no programs to help the middle and lower.

Ford was playing to the people.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Henry had a HUGE bet on the V8, he had to make it pay off so he went all-in at the fair. 1934 was my favorite year for early cars, especially Terraplanes by Hudson and the 34 Fords. Raked grills and windshields, skirted sides on fenders, it just doesn't get any better than 1934 for that full fendered old school look. I have been looking to build an autocrosser custom out of a full skirted Terraplane or Ford, channeled and chopped with full fenders covering 315s all the way around and late model suspension and steering. Well balanced high revving 289/T5 combo. Looking at a Packard this weekend but it doesn't have quite the specific flair I'm looking for but cool in a different way. We will see...

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
It's amazing what they constructed for a temporary exposition. Consider this was still in the midst of the Great Depression.

Henry was no dummy. The Fords were aimed at the common man market. We think we're split between rich and lower income with no middle class? In the thirties there were no programs to help the middle and lower.

Ford was playing to the people.
The 1930s is where most of the programs designed to assist the working class came from. Ford may have known what he was doing, but it wasn't to help the working class during the Depression.

The model of paying their workers enough to afford the cars they build is more of a Post-WW1/Pre-Depression mindset.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.

Last edited by Target; 03-21-2017 at 06:33 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:42 AM

Ya Target. It's no secret the Model T was for the common man and Ford was a pretty good place to work (by comparison). Yup, the 30s...by 37 there were bloody fights at Ford the company versus union. The 32 V8 was a big gamble to get one up on Chevrolet. The "people" I mentioned were the general public. WPA programs not Ford were
to help people in the depths of the depression.

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 03-22-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page