What is it with people? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums

15Likes

post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM

I've come to the conclusion, that people that make offers in an email, are time wasters. And the ones with the really rediculous offers are big time wasting time. And are truely not serilously looking for a vehicle. I tell those type, I only will discuss a price in person. And not one has ever shown up. Their just looking to take advantage of someone, if the oportunitly arises.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:33 PM

I buy and sell quite a bit on craigslist.
When someone asks:
What's your best price?
I always respond with:
"Whats your best offer"

If someone wont name a price on a for sale item:
Look I cant buy it and sell it, you have to tell em what you want for it.

If the drive is far enough, I will negotiate through text/email but it will never be my first communication.

Finally my favorite are the ads that say "Asking $47,500 bottom dollar I'll take is $6,800."
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
My bottom line for this truck is 10k. It is 100% rust free. Frame, pans, cowl, inside the doors, bed. No rust anywhere. I dont know how much filler is in it. Im guessing the 292/AT are original and have never been rebuilt. Its a nice driver, sure it could use more work as any 50 year old vehicle can, but IMO 10k is a fair price. If it doesnt sell, I will keep it. I cant build another or find another in this condition for 10k.

Say, would you take $6K ? That is a nice looking truck and you should get 10K for it. I see junk piles that were recently drug out of the woods and they want a ridiculous price for basically a rotted frame/no windows/been shot full of holes by kids plunking in the woods/no floor boards. They think they have struck gold...but really all they have found is fools gold.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 AM

I have sold a quite a few items on the bay & c/l the last thing I sold on c/l was a Searay 270 Sundancer I only ran the ad for 3 days in October before I was going to take it to the dealer to sell. I always state in the ad "email me your phone number and I'll call you promptly I won't negotiate through emails" this eliminates quite a few idiots. I put that ad in on a Tuesday pulled it Friday had a couple come out Sunday for a sea trial Tuesday his son did a mechanical survey Wednesday morning we negotiated the price by phone and met for dinner that night to exchange all the paperwork and title oh ya the money too.

I never put a phone number in the ad if their in to much of a hurry to wait for a call back from you their not serious buyers.

It seems like every time I post my phone number a week later the automated calls start coming.

69 2 dr Coupe 351W FMX Comp Cams Roller Holley Street Avenger

Last edited by Bob & Sue; 03-18-2017 at 10:35 AM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
I constantly get people who offer me 50% or more OFF my asking price.
I think to myself. WTF is wrong with these people all the time.
Why would someone start a negotiation so low?
I offered the previous owner of my Mustang 50% of his asking price. He called me the next day and said come get it. It never hurts to ask. The seller can always say no and a counter offer. That's what I do. I had some wheels on Craigslist recently. I got several low ball offers. Two of them were 75% off my asking price. I just counter offered and they disapeared. Finally a real buyer came along paid full price. No skin off my nose rejecting those low ball offers.

I won't look at an item when the seller says any of the following, "no low ballers" "no tire kickers" "serious buyers only", etc.
Israel and Target like this.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum96 View Post
I offered the previous owner of my Mustang 50% of his asking price. He called me the next day and said come get it. It never hurts to ask. The seller can always say no and a counter offer. That's what I do. I had some wheels on Craigslist recently. I got several low ball offers. Two of them were 75% off my asking price. I just counter offered and they disapeared. Finally a real buyer came along paid full price. No skin off my nose rejecting those low ball offers.

I won't look at an item when the seller says any of the following, "no low ballers" "no tire kickers" "serious buyers only", etc.
That's why I prefer texting on Craigslist. It takes me two seconds to respond to questions and I don't have to drop what I'm doing.

You become more accessible to a larger group of people if there are more ways to contact you. I can see how it's a pain if you're passively trying to sell something but if you actually want it gone, you have to meet people part of the way in the discussion. Isolating yourself to just phone calls and "serious buyers" only serves to limit contact and lose interest by being antagonistic.

1967 Mustang 302 - Build Thread
1976 Triumph Bonneville

From Los Angeles. Going to college in Santa Cruz, California.
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Since I started this thread I have had offers of $6,000-$9,500. My bottom dollar is 10k, if I dont get it, Im keeping it.

People seem to think that waving a low ball cash offer in my face is about the same as waving a bottle of Night Train in front of a wino.

1964 F100 292/AT Au Revoir old friend
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Since I started this thread I have had offers of $6,000-$9,500. My bottom dollar is 10k, if I dont get it, Im keeping it.

People seem to think that waving a low ball cash offer in my face is about the same as waving a bottle of Night Train in front of a wino.

You must not really want to sell if you won't take $9,500?

Wife,........."You drove how far for that thing?"
Daughter,..."Theres no inside and it stinks."
Friend,......."Dude, thats a rusted pile."
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel View Post
You must not really want to sell if you won't take $9,500?
I think you have to draw a line...Personally if I was dead set on 10k and was offered 9.5k, I would probably take it, but that depends on a bunch of other variables...

Allen
Israel likes this.

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Craigslist is a can o worms. Virtually impossible to know what you are dealing with on the other end of the phone, no way to have hard and fast rules dealing on CL. I have however learned to never give a lower price in correspondence or on the phone because people treat it as if it was the published price on CL and point to start bargaining with. That said, I do use the bottom line or where are you going to need to be to gauge the sensitivity of movement on price on the phone when buying.

NOBODY EVER comes to my home from a phone call. If I can move the item or drive it, we meet at Home Depot or Walmart kind of parking lot at a busy time of day. If the transaction has to happen at my home, I meet them somewhere and get a feel then bring them home after visibly sending a photo of them and their license plate to my brother who awaits my all clear call. I don't duck around.

Unfortunately, Mechem and other auctions have people asking some stupid prices on old cars these daze. Its crazy how many people are trolling for big bucks month after month.

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

My 94 vert sat on CL for a month with no action. I put it on a local lot and sold it a couple weeks later. I paid a $99 lot fee and $250 when it sold, but still ended up with more than my bottom line price.

Thats my next move 1 Apr. The lot is about 5 miles from the house, the lot owner lives in my neighborhood, pretty reasonable guy that has been in the biz a long time. Only PITA going that route is that Im not leaving it on the lot at night or in the rain, so its two trips a day.

I used to buy and sell on CL and Ebay a lot, not so much anymore, its more trouble than its worth most of the time. Too many flakes out there.

1964 F100 292/AT Au Revoir old friend
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM

The people on CL who don't put an asking price and say "selling to top offer" make me scratch my head. If you want an auction put it on eBay!
I had a guy email me last week saying my 67 Fastback price must be a typo because there are many real nice ones out there for $7K. I asked him to show me those. He said the Fastback he was thinking of has sold so he sent me a link to a coupe!

1967 GTA A code Convertible, bench seat, triple black
1967 GT S code 4spd coupe, Ski Country Special, Vail Blue
1968 GT S code C6 coupe, presidential blue on black (first car)

"I'm an all-set cobra jet creepin' through the night time"
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969sag View Post
I use a non-pc word for these people. It was a medical word for a few hundred years. The word also matches my mustangs timing sometimes. It starts with an R and ends in etarded. LOL.
I sell stuff online all the time.
I constantly get people who offer me 50% or more OFF my asking price.
I think to myself. WTF is wrong with these people all the time.
Why would someone start a negotiation so low? If I want $1,000.00 for an item. What the heck makes them think I will accept an offer of $200.00, or $500.00?
I don't get it either.
I was asking 15,500 for a diesel 4x4 worth $16k...I would get offers from $8000-9500....er ah....NO

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I used to buy and sell on CL and Ebay a lot, not so much anymore, its more trouble than its worth most of the time. Too many flakes out there.
Boy I sure kissed my share of frogs from CL

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Garage
Your CL add said no shipping and that you want to sell FTF only, but are you open to having a car carrier pick the truck up?

1969 Raven Black M Code Mach 1 with 351W
1965 Shelby AC COBRA Factory Five MKII with 514
1965 Rangoon Red Fastback/Convertible with 289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page