What is it with people? - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums

15Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I dont like selling sight unseen. I dont want a buyer being unhappy because they didnt get what they expected. This truck is in great condition, but not a show truck by any means. Rust free, complete, and mostly original, paint is what I call driver quality. Does my description mean the same thing to someone a thousand miles away?

I guess I could post a video. I may try that tomorrow. I put the 14 Mustang in storage and brought the truck home today. First time I had it on the road in 3-4 months. It fired right up and purred.
TheMaineEvent likes this.

1964 F100 292/AT (mine)
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
2014 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible (hers)
2012 Caliber (hers under protest)
2015 Indian Vintage (mine)
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:22 PM

Garage
I'd be interested in seeing a video if you show the good along with the bad.

1969 Raven Black M Code Mach 1 with 351W
1965 Shelby AC COBRA Factory Five MKII with 514
1965 Rangoon Red Fastback/Convertible with 289
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

So today I had two promising leads. One guy will be here Tuesday at 10am for a look.

The second guy saw me at the gas station, pulled in and asked me if I had the truck on CL. I told him yes. He says he had no idea the truck is so nice. We talked for a few, he was taking his kid to a ballgame. He took my number and said he would give me a call.

Received a couple other emails that I will respond to if these leads dont pan out.

Also got an offer of 14k on my Indian, but 15k is my bottom line and Im hoping for 16k.

Im getting closer to my goal of freeing up garage space.

1964 F100 292/AT (mine)
2010 F150 Scab (mine)

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM

Garage
Here's a new one I just experienced. I've got a 2013 F150 Screw listed on CL at what I'd call a fair price as the truck is extremely clean and loaded (Platinum). I had a guy email asking about it and seemed legit. He didn't try to low ball me out of the gate, but wanted a 3rd party check to make sure it had a good history. He provided me a link to click on to have a 'background check' done on the truck (like Car fax) and said it would be pretty cheap to run it, then let him know what the results were. Did you catch that- he wanted ME to pay for the check to sell MY truck to HIM!! As it turns out- HE runs the website that he wanted me to pay for the check WTF- seriously I wonder how many people he's gotten to bite, paid him to run the check, then he probably never contacted them again or declined to buy the car for whatever reasons. What a joke!! And no- I didn't have the check run! lol
4ocious likes this.

Buckle up- I wanna try something!!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350sr View Post
Here's a new one I just experienced. I've got a 2013 F150 Screw listed on CL at what I'd call a fair price as the truck is extremely clean and loaded (Platinum). I had a guy email asking about it and seemed legit. He didn't try to low ball me out of the gate, but wanted a 3rd party check to make sure it had a good history. He provided me a link to click on to have a 'background check' done on the truck (like Car fax) and said it would be pretty cheap to run it, then let him know what the results were. Did you catch that- he wanted ME to pay for the check to sell MY truck to HIM!! As it turns out- HE runs the website that he wanted me to pay for the check WTF- seriously I wonder how many people he's gotten to bite, paid him to run the check, then he probably never contacted them again or declined to buy the car for whatever reasons. What a joke!! And no- I didn't have the check run! lol
As far as scams go that's a good one.

post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Way I like to sell things is give my email and no phone. Part of that is when I am at work, cannot answer the phone. And also, a lot of bs text came thru when I listed phone number. People would email me and I would send more pictures and give a accurate description of car (which I cut and paste to others also). If someone is serious, I then give them my phone number. I find a lot of looky loos on CL so this weeds a bunch of them out. Sold a shell (with title) 68 GTO for my fair asking price. Email weeded out all the BSers. Sold a 73 charger. Was asking 4k for it but really wanted to keep my new carb and a set of hideaways for 3.4K. Carb cost me over 400 (was for my firebird) and hideaways worth around 800. I actually had agreed to sell it to some guy with everything for 3.6K but the guy bogarted me a few times for picking it up and I had no deposit. He wanted to send me deposit money paypal (he was from chi town) but I would not take paypal. I told him get back in touch when he can pick it up and that the car was on the market again as I held on to it for a week for him. I told people that car may be sold but took phone numbers and ect lol. And at that point I decided to keep the hideaways and carb and reduce price of car. Funniest part was the guy that offered me 2k on the first few day it was on. I told him I could not sell it at that point. At the end of summer he send me another text asking if I sold the car (ad was off CL) and I said it was long gone lol. Gonna sell a bit more of the rust pile this summer.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Sold today. Now its a 68 Mustang vert or a 67 Galaxie vert.

The same money buys a much nicer Galaxie and I like a full size car to cruise around in.

Its always about the timing.

1964 F100 292/AT (mine)
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Garage
Nicely done. I was on the ropes about getting serious about it, but I'm glad you sold it.

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:04 PM

First, I DO buy and sell on ebay and CL and go to swap meets.

That being said, I do find it interesting how many people get twisted over how OTHER people do THEIR business.

If a person trolls, offering 10%, and gets 3 hits a day, and sells them for 50%, well, he has found a niche market.

If you are DEAD SET on getting 12.5K, and STATE firm, and someone offers you $12,499.98 and you go WHACK JOB over a low ball offer, then maybe it is you.

swap meets, craigslist, garage sales, etc. are all fair game for offers. Home Depot, Lowe's, Grocery Store, etc. even accept offers.

If you do not like the concept of offers, fine, but if you spike your blood pressure because other people do, then, remember, after your funereal, your stuff will be going best offer.

Even ebay has thrown in the towel. Remember when it was ALL auctions, then a few fixed price started showing up. Now, most listings are fixed price (I can BUY RIGHT NOW and not wait) as the ebay subscriptions are mostly fixed price, and a large number of them allow the option of a best offer.

You can always say no.

I do not like white bread, but I do not go nuts that the grocery store sells it. Their choice to eat it, not mine.

I have no problem with making an offer, they can say no, I can say no to their original price or counter price, and we both walk away without gun fire.
66whitepony likes this.

RHen1514@aol.com ed ay +3112

Richardson TX

1968 GT500 Arrest Me Red (The Big Boy Toy)
1966 K Code Vert (The K 'Vert)
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Ive got a guy who emails me every other day with the same lowball offer on my 15 Indian. I replay and tell him thanks but Im firm on the best price I gave him.

I guess he thinks that he will wear me down. I dont really want to sell it, but I want the garage space. My price is fair, Ive looked at a bunch of similar bikes and for the year, miles, condition and accessories, mine is priced lower than any other that I have seen. We are 2k apart and Im not budging. I put it on the Orlando CL. Those Florida motorcycle dealers are ruthless, it will sell at my bottom price.

1964 F100 292/AT (mine)
2010 F150 Scab (mine)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page